East Smith Road/South Jefferson Street

#108 East Smith Road: Holben Bldg.-1905

McClure Blacksmith Shop, Alexander McClure, Prop. (1870-1873)

Cushman Blacksmith Shop, S. W. Cushman, Prop. (1873-1875)

1.  Alexander W. McClure sold his blacksmith business to S. W. Cushman for $1,200 in 1873.

Cushman Blacksmith Shop, L. Cushman, Prop. (1875-1878)

1.  L.  Cushman blacksmith opposite the Union House Hotel in 1875.

Holben Blacksmith Shop, Jacob Holben, Prop. (1879-1915)

Jocob Holben Blacksmith Shop.jpg

1.  “Jabe” Holben new blacksmith shop 70’ x 30’ built in 1905 just west of old shop which was here for 25 years. The old building was the 1st built after the fire and stood where Sargent’s furniture stand was in 1904 and was used as a general supply and hardware store by Bradley and High and moved by Holben in 1879.

2.  Holben horse shoeing called prestige blacksmith shop by American Blacksmith magazine in 1911.

3.  Holben shop had power and air blowers; screens on windows and electricity.

4.  Holben employs four to six blacksmiths and was located across Smith Road from the Union House Hotel,

Jay Holben Smithy Shop (2).jpg

5.  Holben had office and loafing lounge for customers

Edward F. Neumeyer Blacksmith Shop, (1915-1922)

1.  Jacob Holben sold his blacksmith shop here since 1879 to Edward Newmeyer and Edward Rolph in 1915.

Davis and Indoe Blacksmith Shop, Charles Davis and John Indoe, Props. (1923 -1938)

1.  In 1923 J. P. Indoe, C. F. Davis bought ½ interest the historic Holben blacksmith shop.

2.  F. Foskett to C. F. Davis blacksmith shop for woodworking, rubber tires on buggies, files saws, builds truck bodies in 1922.

3.  Charles Davis’s blacksmith shop building was sold to Gibbs Motor Company for a body shop and the lot adjacent on the east of the blacksmith shop building for $12,000 in 1938. The added frontage extending more than 100’ on East Smith Road in 1938.

4.  Charles Davis opened a blacksmith shop in the warehouse at the Hamilton property just east of the Medina Farm Bureau in 1938.

Gibbs Motor Company Body Shop, Earl Gibbs, Prop.(1938-1956)

Prackup Motors, James Prackup, Prop. (1956-1960)

Heintzleman Chevrolet-Oldsmobile, Inc., Dean Heintzleman, Prop. (1960-1962)

1.  Dealership moved to Pearl Road and Fenn Road in 1962.

Vacant, (1963-1965)

Graff Glass Shop, (1966-1969)

1.  Graff Glass moved their business to 326 East Smith Road in 1969.

Lamar Auto Body, (1969-1970)

Building demolished in 1970.


#113 East Smith Road: Faust Bldg.-1872

Faust Star Livery at Union House, A. D. Faust, Prop. (1872-1875)

1.  A. D. Faust carried mail and people to and from depots in 1875.

2.  A.  D. Faust and W. F. Leiter came to Medina in 1871 and started a livery stable opposite from where Jabe Holben's horseshoeing shop now stands.

D. H. Shaw Union House Livery, (1875-1889)

1.  There were gardens behind the Union House Hotel stables.in 1877.


#115 East Smith Road: Beedle Bldg.-1897

1.  Located one lot east of A. D. Faust Star Livery at the Union House Hotel.

Benford Blacksmith Shop, A. E. Benford, Prop. (1860-1897)

Beedle Blacksmith Shop, Elisha “Lish” Beedle and Jay C. Beedle, Props. (1897-1900)

1.   Beedle brothers bought the blacksmith shop from A. E. Benford in 1897.

2.  Elisha Beedle fought with Custer in 1876 at Fort Wallace and was struck in the left leg with an arrow. He lost site of an eye but, he took a scalp that he still has it 1930. The full story can be read below.

3.  Jay C. Beedle Sr. died in 1899 and Elisha Beedle sold his blacksmith shop ½ interest to Edward C. Rolph in 1900.

Medina Sentinel, October 13, 1888

Medina Man Fought Indians With Custer

In the early '60s, when disunion of the government was threatened, the prompt response to the call for volunteers was nowhere more marked than in the Western Reserve, of which Medina is one of-the foremost counties. Her boys responded with the same spirit that characterized all of this section and her quota was quickly filled with as stalwart and fine young manhood as ever lived.

Many never returned, many came back partially dismembered or broken in health, while many others were spared to mingle again with their loved ones and friends and witness the glorious rehabilitation and growth of the greatest country on earth—the land of the free and the home of the brave.

But of the grizzled veterans who are still with us, the record of one —and only one, so far as we know, stands out uniquely from the others,; from the fact that with the closing of the Civil War, instead of returning home, as he was privileged to do and perhaps as he ought to have done, he re-enlisted in the war then raging against the Indians in some of the new states and territories of the western country, where he served for a period of three years under some of, the country's bravest heroes, most conspicuous of whom was General George Custer, who on June 25, 1876, together with his five troops of valiant horsemen, met death in ambush at the hands of "Rain-in-the-Face" and his band of savage Sioux.

The one to whom we refer is Mr. Elisha W. Beedle of Medina, and there is probably no other man who enjoys a more general acquaintance in Medina County, due partly to the fact that he has always resided here, and partly from the nature of his life-long occupation, blacksmithing. For a half century Mr. Beedle shod Medina County horses, farmers from all parts of the county coming to Medina to have their work done. And while Mr. Beedle has not been attentive to this class of work for the past few years because of his advanced age,  he will assure you, if you ask him, that if occasion demands he can do as good job as he could fifty-years ago.

Mr. Beedle was born in Abbeyville, north on the old State road, in 1845, thus it being seen that he has already lived more than the allotted three score years and ten. At the outbreak of the war Mr. Beedle was too young to enlist and did not enter the service until 1864.  Earlier than this, however, an attempt to organize a company was made by Fred Streeter, (later publicly executed in Medina for the murder of the Coy family), and Mr. Beedle, with a number of others, signed his name to the enlistment roll. But the company was never fully organized.

In 1864, he enlisted in the 2d Ohio Cavalry. Co. B, at Columbus. He was with his regiment in several skirmishes near Memphis and in Arkansas and served until the close of the war, which found him at Little Rock, Ark. He immediately enlisted in the 3rd U. S. Cavalry, Co. B, which was about to depart for the seat of the Indian uprisings, under command of Marshall S. Howe. This regiment had previously been in the campaign against the Indians, but had been withdrawn during the period of the war. Now that this is service was at an end, they were now on their way back to the old warfare in the west.

Leaving Little Rock, the regiment headed for Ft. Smith, thence to the Choctaw reservation to quell a disturbulence. Thence to the plains of New Mexico and Arizona. There were several fights with the Comanche and Apaches at Ft. Union, Ft. Craig, and Albuquerque, Ft. Selden and Pueblo, and it was during some of these days that Mr. Beedle first saw the famous chief, "Rain-in-the-Face", whom he afterwards saw many times, both on the field and at times when peace terms were trying to be negotiated.

Asked as to what he considers the worst Indian encounter in which he participated. Mr. "Beedle named the one his regiment was in at Ft. Wallace. Col. Bankhead was the commanding officer said Mr. Beedle, "and we pulled in to the fort one evening for the purpose of further organizing it. Early in the morning a band of Comanche’s numbering about 1200 attacked us. We were not expecting any trouble. The Indians surprised us through disguise, in which they are experts. When first observed they were a considerable distance away. Some carried leaved branches, while others threw their blanket over their heads. In this way, at a great distance, the former resembled trees, and the latter looked like a herd of buffaloes.  Some of our men reconnoitered with the result that they soon discovered their mistake.  With whoops and flourishes! The redskins drove down upon us, the battle lasting for several hours.  We lost about seventeen men and the Indians three or four times that number. It was during this fight, continued Mr. Beedle, "that I received a wound the scar of which I shall carry to my grave.

An Indian arrow struck me a glancing blow in the forehead, tearing open a wide gash and injuring a nerve that cost me the sight of one eye. The arrow, like all Indian fighting arrows, was poisoned, and while he was not laid up from the effects of the wound, it was a long time in healing, and in fact I have suffered periodical eruptions from it ever since.

Another exciting episode related by Mr. Beedle occurred at Ft. Craig, New Mexico. The Indians had been causing trouble in that section for some time by stealing many cattle herds. At this particular time they had driven off a lot of cattle being herded by some Mexican boys, capturing the latter as well.

Mr. Beedle was commanded to form a detachment and go after the Indians.  At this time he was an orderly sergeant.  The Indians were found routed and driven away and the boys and cattle secured.  Several of the redskins were killed in this skirmish and one of the soldiers took the scalp, ears and all, of one of them as a trophy. This is in possession of Mr. Beedle, and a constant reminder of the days when, as he puts it, "I had more fun than all the rest of my life."

Mr. Beedle relates many interesting experiences with buffaloes, which a half century ago roamed the plains by
the millions. ''Oftentimes," says Mr. Beedle, "as we were traveling over the plains, we would observe immense herds at a distance.  Suddenly the animals would turn and start for us with heads up and tails rising. We would have barely time to line up our wagons with wide gaps between, and throw ourselves underneath them. The buffaloes would come tearing down through the gaps and pass on, not, however, until a half dozen or more were bagged by our soldiers with their guns as they peered out between the wheels.  When the herd had disappeared the soldiers would come out and quickly cut away the best eating parts from the dead animals, string them up along the sides of the wagons and travel on. Exposed to the sun day after day this meat would cure as nicely as if it were cured "according to Hoyle," declares Beetle.
The immense number of buffaloes that roamed the plains forty or fifty years ago may readily be imagined when, according to Mr. Beedle, one of the finest specimens of a hide, highly decorated by the Indians, could often be secured from the latter in exchange for a plug of tobacco. The same hide today would bring $75 to $100.

During his adventures with the Indians under Custer, Mr. Beedle became well acquainted with the late Buffalo Bill, who at that time was the general's chief scout. The last time Beedle met Cody was during the latter's trip to Cleveland with his Wild West show, when the famous Indian fighter learning of the Indian scalp and ears Mr. Beedle secured at Ft. Craig, vainly tried to persuade the latter to part with it.

Mr. Beedle relates very many interesting incidents connected with the three years he spent on the Western frontier, some humorous, others almost unspeakably sad. Tears came to his eyes as he told of the hurried burial of comrades who had been shot down in Indian encounters. The method, according to Mr. Beedle was to pin the cape of the dead comrade well above the throat, wrap the body in a blanket and then cord the same tightly from head to foot with a rope. The grave must needs be shallow because of the sandy nature of the soil. "But the performed in a hurry* says Mr. Beedle, "we did it with tenderness, and tears dimmed the eyes of every man in the company as we then pushed ahead, leaving our comrade alone in his glory.”

Mr. Boodle is justly proud of his record of promotion during his three years in the west, from private to corporal, then to duty sergeant, and finally to orderly sergeant, which position he held up to the time of his honorable discharge at Ft. Craig.

Upon reaching Memphis one of his companions had not yet arrived and the Steamer Sultana was about to leave. The men waited for their companion and took the next steamer, the Miami instead. The Sultana, laden with 2400 human souls homeward bound from the war had proceeded but eight miles when one of the boilers exploded while most of the men were sleeping, and 170 were found death either from the effects of the explosion, or were drowned in the river. The steamer took on its crew at Vicksburg and was headed to Cairo, Illinois. Mr. Beedle witnessed hundreds of dead bodies floating down the river from the wreckage while awaiting the next steamer.

Lyons Blacksmith Shop, Edward B. Lyons, Prop. (1901-1905)

1.  E. B. Lyons bought Beedle blacksmith shop opposite Arick’s livery from Edward Rolph in 1901.


#326 East Smith Road: Anderson Bldg.-1928

 Washburn Grocery Store. Ward Washburn, Prop. (1928-1932)

1.  Ward Washburn opened a grocery in the Paul Anderson Building near the Bennett Bending Works in 1928.

2.  Mr. Washburn was formerly the Medina County Auditor.

Frederick Cash Grocery, Lewis and Grace Frederick, Props. (1933-1937)

1.  Paul and Vera Anderson sold their building to the Fredericks in 1937 and Louie and Grace started a small deli/grocery to serve the local area.

Fredericks Grocery.jpg

Little Whiz Grocery Store. Lewis Frederick, Prop. (1937-1945)

1.  They served the area with fresh food (and in the case of eggs, from the chickens they raised in their own backyard, across the street from the store), ice cream, meats end other staples

2.  It seems they also acted as a lunch room for the Bennett Lumber Company formerly the Bennett/ Bending Works that was located next door.

Lucille and Donald C. Strock, Residence, (1943-1945)

1.  The Strock family rented the 2nd floor for 3 years while Donald worked in the village as a taxi driver.

Hoff’s Grocery Store, Marcel Hoff, Prop. (1946-1968)

1.  After the Fredrick's retirement, the store was taken over by Marcel Hoff and his wife Ruth. They successfully ran Hoff’s Grocery until 1968, when they also retired. Marcel also worked at Medina Water Treatment Plant for 30 years.

2.  Paul Anderson sold goods in a storage house at rear of Hoff’s grocery in 1948.

3.  Grace Frederick sold the property to Marcel R. Hoff in 1965 that had been leased since 1946.

Lucille and Clare E. Burkett Residence, (1948-1952)

1.  Lucille and Clare E. Burkett (foreman at Henry Furnace Co.) rented the 2nd floor apartment from 1948 to 1952.

Graff’s Glass Company, Floyd Graff, Prop. (1969-2003)

Graff's Glass Shop 2.jpg

1.  Floyd C. and Eveline Graff purchased the property from Marcel and Ruth Marie Hoff in 1968.

2.  Graff's Glass moved their existing glass business from 108 East Smith Road, 2 blocks to the west, into the new location and added a service bay at the rear of the building.

FBN Systems, Tom Doyle, Prop. (2003-2010)

1.  In 2003 the building was purchased by Thomas Doyle to house his Burglar and Fire alarm business, FBN Systems.

2.  After a slow process of fixing and remodeling, it was decided to use the first floor of the building, to display Tom's ever expanding private collection of antique fire equipment.

3.  With the historic research that was done about the building, it was decided to capitalize on the humorous first business's name (Little Whiz Grocery Store) and it’s somewhat comical association with fire equipment.

Little Wiz Museum, Tom Doyle, Prop. (2010-2017)

1.  The Little Wiz Fire Museum is dedicated to the education of individuals, and the furtherance and preservation of the early history of firefighting, and the generous individuals that bonded together for the protection of all.

2.  The Museum is not physically large, but contains a large (and somewhat tightly packed) collection of early fire equipment

3.  Visitors are given a personal tour, with informative descriptions of the equipment displayed, so they will walk away with as much education and history as possible.

4.  The Museum is open 9am to 4pm most Saturdays through the year, or other times by appointment. For private tours or students and small groups, you are advised to call.. 330-419-0200... to make arrangements.

326 E. Smith Road, Little Whiz Museum.jpg



#342 East Smith Road: Bennett Bldg.-1895

Medina Bending Works, Scott Bennett and Theodore G. Andrews, Props. (1891-1894)

1.  Medina Bending Works was founded in 1891 by Scott Bennett, born in Windfall in 1857 and taught school in Weymouth as young man.

 2.  The Bending Works was originally located on South Elmwood Street across from East Mill Street and was so named because of the process used in making wagon wheel rims.

3.  Later the manufacture of spokes was added and neck yokes, Whipple trees, double trees, bent rims and other wagon material is produced for the trade.

Medina Bending Works, Scott Bennett and George Bauer Props. (1895-1897)

1.  In 1894, Mr. T. G. Andrews sold his interests in the business to George Bauer.

2.  The Bending Works was moved in 1895 to newly purchased land at 342 East Smith Road.

3.  Bennett Bending Works built a new office building north of the mill 20”x26” built of hollow blocks and finished with stucco and fireproof in 1912.

4.  In 1897, Scott Bennett purchased the business interests of George Bauer.

Medina Bending Works, Scott Bennett, Prop. (1897-1934)

1.  Medina Bending Works is well quipped for the caring and seasoning of lumber with three large dry kills utilized for that propose.

2.  Gertrude V. and Frank Lacroix sold part lot 61 to Bennett Bending Works in 1931.

Medina Bending Works.jpg

Bennett Lumber Company, Scott Bennett, Carter I. Bennett and Homer Bennett, Props. (1926-1934)

1.  In 1926, the company name was changed when the lumber business became a more prominent part of the total operation.

2.  Scott Bennett’s Sons, Carter I. and Homer Bennett joined the firm in 1926.

3.  Scott Bennett turned the business reins over to his two sons Carter and Homer and took a well-deserved retirement in 1934.

Bennett Lumber Company, Carter Bennett and Homer Bennett, Props. (1934-1965)

1.  The company sold prefab brooder houses 10”x12” in 1945.

2.  Homer and Carter Bennett sold an interest in the business to L. Roy Lehman and Ty Brooks in 1960.

3.  L. Roy Lehman acquired the interest in the lumber business from partner Ty Brooks in 1964.

Bennett Lumber and Home Center, L. Roy Lehman and H. M. Jaeger, Props. (1965-1981)

1.  Bennett Lumber Company was sold to L. Roy Lehman and new partner, H. M. Jaeger in 1965.

2.  The business name was changed to Bennett Lumber and Home Center in 1965 and they converted 500 feet of display space into more than 25,000 feet in a short few years.

Bennett Lumber and Home Center photo.jpeg

3.  As early as 1967 when Roy Lehman Jr. joined the firm the business has been a family run operation with both sons and daughters and spouses of Lehman and Jaeger involved together with other 45 employees.

4.  Business has grown to $5 million annually in 1979 with Lehman handling the contractor business and Jaeger managing the retain business

Bennett Lumber and Home Center, Roy F. Lehman and David Jaeger, Props. (1981-2001)

1.  Ownership of the business was transferred to their sons, Roy F. Lehman and David Jaeger in 1981.

2.  During their ownership they have added space in the plumbing department, kitchen and bath remodeling and appliance area to a total of 28,000 feet.

3.  The Bennett Lumber Company and Home Center is one of the oldest in the county with 110 years of continuous service supplying the needs of the community.

James Lumber Company, (2001-2005)

1.  Roy F. Lehman and David Jaeger rented the building and property to James Lumber Company under a four year lease in 2001.

Vacant, (2006-2011)

1.  For nearly five years the buildings were unoccupied while the owners Lehman and Jaeger searched for a tenant.

Habitat for Humanity Retail Store, Dan Schomacher, Prop. (2012-2017)

Habitat ReStore.jpg

1.  Roy F.. Lehman and David Jaeger sold the buildings and part-lot 61 to Habitat for Humanity in 2011.

2.  In 2012, Lehman and Jaeger sold two parcels on the east side of Lot 61 to the City of Medina.