East Smith Road/South Jefferson Street
#108 East Smith Road: Holben Bldg.-1905
McClure Blacksmith Shop, Alexander McClure, Prop. (1870-1873)
Cushman Blacksmith Shop, S. W. Cushman, Prop. (1873-1875)
1. Alexander W. McClure sold his blacksmith business to S. W. Cushman for $1,200 in 1873.
Cushman Blacksmith Shop, L. Cushman, Prop. (1875-1878)
1. L. Cushman blacksmith opposite the Union House Hotel in 1875.
Holben Blacksmith Shop, Jabez Holben, Prop. (1879-1915)
1. Jabez Holben new blacksmith shop 70’ x 30’ built in 1905 just west of old shop which was here for 25 years. The old building was the 1st built after the fire and stood where Sargent’s furniture stand was in 1904 and was used as a general supply and hardware store by Bradley and High and moved by Holben in 1879.
2. The Holben horse shoeing business was called a prestige blacksmith shop by American Blacksmith magazine in 1911.
3. Holben shop had power and air blowers; screens on windows and electricity.
4. Jabez Holben employed four to six blacksmiths and was located across Smith Road from the Union House Hotel,
5. Holben also had office and loafing lounge for customers
Edward F. Neumeyer Blacksmith Shop, (1915-1922)
1. Jabez Holben sold his blacksmith shop here since 1879 to Edward Newmeyer and Edward Rolph in 1915.
Davis and Indoe Blacksmith Shop, Charles Davis and John Indoe, Props. (1923 -1938)
1. In 1923, J. P. Indoe, C. F. Davis bought ½ interest the historic Holben blacksmith shop.
2. F. Foskett to C. F. Davis blacksmith shop for woodworking, rubber tires on buggies, files saws, builds truck bodies in 1922.
3. Charles Davis’s blacksmith shop building was sold to Gibbs Motor Company for a body shop and the lot adjacent on the east of the blacksmith shop building for $12,000 in 1938. The added frontage extending more than 100’ on East Smith Road in 1938.
4. Charles Davis opened a blacksmith shop in the warehouse at the Hamilton property just east of the Medina Farm Bureau in 1938.
Gibbs Motor Company Body Shop, Earl Gibbs, Prop. (1938-1956)
Prackup Motors, James Prackup, Prop. (1956-1960)
Heintzleman Chevrolet-Oldsmobile, Inc., Dean Heintzleman, Prop. (1960-1962)
1. Dealership moved to Pearl Road and Fenn Road in 1962.
Graff Glass Shop, (1966-1969)
1. Graff Glass moved their business to 326 East Smith Road in 1969.
Lamar Auto Body, (1969-1970)
Building demolished in 1970.
#113 East Smith Road: Faust Bldg.-1872
Faust Star Livery at Union House, A. D. Faust, Prop. (1872-1875)
1. A. D. Faust carried mail and people to and from depots in 1875.
2. A. D. Faust and W. F. Leiter came to Medina in 1871 and started a livery stable opposite from where Jabe Holben's horseshoeing shop now stands.
D. H. Shaw Union House Livery, (1875-1889)
1. There were gardens behind the Union House Hotel stables.in 1877.
#115 East Smith Road: Beedle Bldg.-1897
1. Located one lot east of A. D. Faust Star Livery at the Union House Hotel.
Benford Blacksmith Shop, A. E. Benford, Prop. (1860-1897)
Beedle Blacksmith Shop, Elisha “Lish” Beedle and Jay C. Beedle, Props. (1897-1900)
1. Beedle brothers bought the blacksmith shop from A. E. Benford in 1897.
2. Elisha Beedle fought with Custer in 1876 at Fort Wallace and was struck in the left leg with an arrow. He lost site of an eye but, he took a scalp that he still has it 1930. The full story can be read below.
3. Jay C. Beedle Sr. died in 1899 and Elisha Beedle sold his blacksmith shop ½ interest to Edward C. Rolph in 1900.
Medina Sentinel, October 13, 1888
Medina Man Fought Indians With Custer
In the early '60s, when disunion of the government was threatened, the prompt response to the call for volunteers was nowhere more marked than in the Western Reserve, of which Medina is one of-the foremost counties. Her boys responded with the same spirit that characterized all of this section and her quota was quickly filled with as stalwart and fine young manhood as ever lived.
Many never returned, many came back partially dismembered or broken in health, while many others were spared to mingle again with their loved ones and friends and witness the glorious rehabilitation and growth of the greatest country on earth—the land of the free and the home of the brave.
But of the grizzled veterans who are still with us, the record of one —and only one, so far as we know, stands out uniquely from the others,; from the fact that with the closing of the Civil War, instead of returning home, as he was privileged to do and perhaps as he ought to have done, he re-enlisted in the war then raging against the Indians in some of the new states and territories of the western country, where he served for a period of three years under some of, the country's bravest heroes, most conspicuous of whom was General George Custer, who on June 25, 1876, together with his five troops of valiant horsemen, met death in ambush at the hands of "Rain-in-the-Face" and his band of savage Sioux.
The one to whom we refer is Mr. Elisha W. Beedle of Medina, and there is probably no other man who enjoys a more general acquaintance in Medina County, due partly to the fact that he has always resided here, and partly from the nature of his life-long occupation, blacksmithing. For a half century Mr. Beedle shod Medina County horses, farmers from all parts of the county coming to Medina to have their work done. And while Mr. Beedle has not been attentive to this class of work for the past few years because of his advanced age, he will assure you, if you ask him, that if occasion demands he can do as good job as he could fifty-years ago.
Mr. Beedle was born in Abbeyville, north on the old State road, in 1845, thus it being seen that he has already lived more than the allotted three score years and ten. At the outbreak of the war Mr. Beedle was too young to enlist and did not enter the service until 1864. Earlier than this, however, an attempt to organize a company was made by Fred Streeter, (later publicly executed in Medina for the murder of the Coy family), and Mr. Beedle, with a number of others, signed his name to the enlistment roll. But the company was never fully organized.
In 1864, he enlisted in the 2d Ohio Cavalry. Co. B, at Columbus. He was with his regiment in several skirmishes near Memphis and in Arkansas and served until the close of the war, which found him at Little Rock, Ark. He immediately enlisted in the 3rd U. S. Cavalry, Co. B, which was about to depart for the seat of the Indian uprisings, under command of Marshall S. Howe. This regiment had previously been in the campaign against the Indians, but had been withdrawn during the period of the war. Now that this is service was at an end, they were now on their way back to the old warfare in the west.
Leaving Little Rock, the regiment headed for Ft. Smith, thence to the Choctaw reservation to quell a disturbulence. Thence to the plains of New Mexico and Arizona. There were several fights with the Comanche and Apaches at Ft. Union, Ft. Craig, and Albuquerque, Ft. Selden and Pueblo, and it was during some of these days that Mr. Beedle first saw the famous chief, "Rain-in-the-Face", whom he afterwards saw many times, both on the field and at times when peace terms were trying to be negotiated.
Asked as to what he considers the worst Indian encounter in which he participated. Mr. "Beedle named the one his regiment was in at Ft. Wallace. Col. Bankhead was the commanding officer said Mr. Beedle, "and we pulled in to the fort one evening for the purpose of further organizing it. Early in the morning a band of Comanche’s numbering about 1200 attacked us. We were not expecting any trouble. The Indians surprised us through disguise, in which they are experts. When first observed they were a considerable distance away. Some carried leaved branches, while others threw their blanket over their heads. In this way, at a great distance, the former resembled trees, and the latter looked like a herd of buffaloes. Some of our men reconnoitered with the result that they soon discovered their mistake. With whoops and flourishes! The redskins drove down upon us, the battle lasting for several hours. We lost about seventeen men and the Indians three or four times that number. It was during this fight, continued Mr. Beedle, "that I received a wound the scar of which I shall carry to my grave.
An Indian arrow struck me a glancing blow in the forehead, tearing open a wide gash and injuring a nerve that cost me the sight of one eye. The arrow, like all Indian fighting arrows, was poisoned, and while he was not laid up from the effects of the wound, it was a long time in healing, and in fact I have suffered periodical eruptions from it ever since.
Another exciting episode related by Mr. Beedle occurred at Ft. Craig, New Mexico. The Indians had been causing trouble in that section for some time by stealing many cattle herds. At this particular time they had driven off a lot of cattle being herded by some Mexican boys, capturing the latter as well.
Mr. Beedle was commanded to form a detachment and go after the Indians. At this time he was an orderly sergeant. The Indians were found routed and driven away and the boys and cattle secured. Several of the redskins were killed in this skirmish and one of the soldiers took the scalp, ears and all, of one of them as a trophy. This is in possession of Mr. Beedle, and a constant reminder of the days when, as he puts it, "I had more fun than all the rest of my life."
Mr. Beedle relates many interesting experiences with buffaloes, which a half century ago roamed the plains by
the millions. ''Oftentimes," says Mr. Beedle, "as we were traveling over the plains, we would observe immense herds at a distance. Suddenly the animals would turn and start for us with heads up and tails rising. We would have barely time to line up our wagons with wide gaps between, and throw ourselves underneath them. The buffaloes would come tearing down through the gaps and pass on, not, however, until a half dozen or more were bagged by our soldiers with their guns as they peered out between the wheels. When the herd had disappeared the soldiers would come out and quickly cut away the best eating parts from the dead animals, string them up along the sides of the wagons and travel on. Exposed to the sun day after day this meat would cure as nicely as if it were cured "according to Hoyle," declares Beetle. The immense number of buffaloes that roamed the plains forty or fifty years ago may readily be imagined when, according to Mr. Beedle, one of the finest specimens of a hide, highly decorated by the Indians, could often be secured from the latter in exchange for a plug of tobacco. The same hide today would bring $75 to $100.
During his adventures with the Indians under Custer, Mr. Beedle became well acquainted with the late Buffalo Bill, who at that time was the general's chief scout. The last time Beedle met Cody was during the latter's trip to Cleveland with his Wild West show, when the famous Indian fighter learning of the Indian scalp and ears Mr. Beedle secured at Ft. Craig, vainly tried to persuade the latter to part with it.
Mr. Beedle relates very many interesting incidents connected with the three years he spent on the Western frontier, some humorous, others almost unspeakably sad. Tears came to his eyes as he told of the hurried burial of comrades who had been shot down in Indian encounters. The method, according to Mr. Beedle was to pin the cape of the dead comrade well above the throat, wrap the body in a blanket and then cord the same tightly from head to foot with a rope. The grave must needs be shallow because of the sandy nature of the soil. "But the performed in a hurry* says Mr. Beedle, "we did it with tenderness, and tears dimmed the eyes of every man in the company as we then pushed ahead, leaving our comrade alone in his glory.”
Mr. Beedle is justly proud of his record of promotion during his three years in the west, from private to corporal, then to duty sergeant, and finally to orderly sergeant, which position he held up to the time of his honorable discharge at Ft. Craig.
Upon reaching Memphis one of his companions had not yet arrived and the Steamer Sultana was about to leave. The men waited for their companion and took the next steamer, the Miami instead. The Sultana, laden with 2400 human souls homeward bound from the war had proceeded but eight miles when one of the boilers exploded while most of the men were sleeping, and 170 were found death either from the effects of the explosion, or were drowned in the river. The steamer took on its crew at Vicksburg and was headed to Cairo, Illinois. Mr. Beedle witnessed hundreds of dead bodies floating down the river from the wreckage while awaiting the next steamer.
Lyons Blacksmith Shop, Edward B. Lyons, Prop. (1901-1905)
1. E. B. Lyons bought Beedle blacksmith shop opposite Arick’s livery from Edward Rolph in 1901.
#118 East Smith Road: Woodbury House,-1910
Alfred Woodbury Residence and Business, (1910-1929)
1. Alfred Woodbury, at 1st home east of J. Holben blacksmith shop, sharpens saws.
Harry W. and Ona Sponseller Residence, (1930-1941)
David Brown Residence, (1939-1941)
1. David Brown, a Jew born in Arabia came to Medina in 1937.
2. 5 rooms and bath, furnace, with garage for rent in 1942 owned by David Brown.
Cut Rate Auto Supply Company, David Brown, Prop. (1939-1941)
1. Brown opened an auto wrecking, trucking and furniture salvage yard in 1941 just east of Gibbs Motor Company.
2. David Brown auto wrecking sold to Belle Krause and Joe Pieskowitz of Cleveland, Ohio. Business now called Square Deal and moved to the old Burgin place in 1941.
David Brown Rental Property, (1942-1947)
Charles W. Lawrence Jr. Residence, (1948-1955)
Raymond L Hawk Residence, (1955-1960)
Mary J. Jenewein Residence, (1960-1963)
D. A. Cowger Residence, (1960-1963)
Eric D. Schram Residence, (1969-1971)
Robert L. Turner Residence, (1971-1974)
Karen Devore Residence, (1974-1979)
Antony Roden Residence, (1988-1990)
Connie J. Baisden Residence, (1991-1992)
S. Prentice Residence, (1995-1998)
Thomas Rickbrodt and Ann Sklenar Residence, (1999-2017)
Russell Sharer, (2017-Present)
#120 East Smith Road: Kimmel Bldg.-1857
Kimmel Wagon Shop, Alexander Kimmel, Prop. (1857-1897)
1. Abram Kimmel ran a wagon shop next to Shafer’s tannery on Champion Creek c. 1840s
2. Abram Kimmel (wainwright) ran the wagon shop near Schafer’s tannery on Champion Creek 1859.
3. Hiram Bronson sold to Alex Kimmel for $300 in 1875.
4. Alexander Kimmel sold lot 26 on the Montville side to Milton E. Kimmel for $2,800 in 1902.
5. Alexander Kimmel wheelwright shop improved in 1858.
6. Alexander Kimmel sold house with 10 rooms, a well and cistern, good fruit in 1897.
A. P. Thomas Residence, (1948-1960)
Theodore W. Engle Residence, (1960-1963)
Paul L. Michaels Residence, (1963-1966)
William B. Heilman Residence, (1966-1969)
Carl L. Johnson Residence, (1969-1971)
Vivian M O’Brien Residence, (1971-1975)
R. Christian Residence, (1976-1979)
Curtis R. Perkins Residence, (1982-1987)
David A. Snell Residence, (1988-1992)
Francine A. Garvey Residence, (1992-1992)
Wesley A. Heilman Residence, (1992-1996)
Daniel McNelve, Residence, (1997-1998)
Richard Brickley Residence, (2000-2006)
Vochita L.Vintila Residence. (2007-2017)
Michelle Hume, (2017-Present)
#126-128 East Smith Road: Asire House,-1859
William Asire Residence, (1859-1887)
1. In 1867, William Asire (undertaker 1850-1896) added an ambulatory entrance to his residence.
William Squire Frazier Residence, (1887-1910)
1. William Frazier was a Town Marshal.
Nellie and Walter F. Crees Residence, (1911-1918)
Susan and Alfred Crees Residence, (1919-1931)
1. Susan and Alfred Crees owned a truck garden and strawberry fields, both died 1931.
Otto A. Wertz Residence, (1919-1934)
J .F. McMullan Residence, (1929-1931)
Norvin Meyers Residence, (1931-1936)
Herman Munson Residence, #126, (1937-1944)
1. Alfred Crees property sold to Herman Munson and sons John and Tom in 1937.
Ambrose Wertz Renter, #128, (1938-1941)
Ken Meeks Renter, #128, (1941-1944)
Vera Fields Renter, #126, (1945-1946).
Arthur Sanders Renter, #128, (1945-1946)
A. C. Sanders and D.J. Morgan Wall Paper and Painters, #128, (1946-1947)
Helen L. and Evart E. Easterday Residence, #128, (1948-1953)
1. In 1948, Herman Munson sold his property to Helen and Evart Easterday
2. In 1953, Helen and Evart Easterday sold their property to Ceylon and Helen Loehr.
M. W. Bowman Renter, #126, (1948-1952)
Clyde Massie Renter, #126, (1952-1955)
Cecil Gregory Renter, #126, (1955-1960)
Boyd E. Davis Renter, #126, (1960-1965)
Dorothy M. Billet Renter, #128, (1960-1965)
C. and L. Radiator and Power Equipment Company, Ceylon Loehr, Prop. #128, (1965-1975)
1. In 1975, Ceylon Loehr sold his property to Ray and Donetta Klobnik.
Organic Way, #128, (1976-1989)
Lee Ann Taylor, renter, 2nd floor, (1988)
The Tractor and Spa Place, (1989-1996)
1. In 1989, Organic Way changed their company name to The Tractor and Spa Place
Country Floors, Donetta Klubnik, Prop, (1997-2001)
1. In 2001, Donetta Klubnik sold her property to R. J. D. M. Properties
Ice House Refrigeration Company, (2002-2018)
R. J. Vernak Refrigeration Company, (2002-2018)
Game Keeper Cooler Company, (2008-2018)
#202-210 East Smith Road:
Elizabeth and George Santee Residence, (1903-1917)
1. Elizabeth and George Santee (painter) are building 2 new houses at 202 and 208 East Smith Road in 1903 and in 1916.
William Strong and Helen Aylard Residence, (1918-1921)
1. William Strong and sister, Helen Aylard bought it in 1918 from George Santee.
Fred W. Weidner Residence, (1921-1940)
1. Theodore Weidner bough the 3 houses at the south-east corner of East Smith and South Broadway Street from the Bronson estate in 1940. Two double houses and a single each rents for $95 per month.
2. For sale, a well-built house for $4500. Seven large rooms with a bath, toilet and lavatory; oak floors down, oak finish, large closets, cement drive and concrete block garage in 1940.
3. Weidner sold the house to Ralph Nichols in 1941.
Willard Stephenson Residence, (1937-1940)
1. Willard Stephenson is now living at the Richard Wildman house in 1937.
Russell Schoenberger Residence, (1941-1945)
Russell Dickerman Residence, (1946-1948)
Dorothy L and Guy W. Penick Residence, (1948-1969)
Gilbert L. Myers Residence, (1969-1981)
1. The house at 202-210 East Smith Road was raised in 1982.
Bank-One Medina Auto-teller, (1985-2005)
Family Video Club, Inc., Medina, (2008-Present)
#208 East Smith Road: Santee House-1916
1. Elizabeth and George Santee (painter) are building 2 new houses at 202 and 208 East Smith Road in 1903 and in 1916.
Belle Graham Rental Property, (1916-1929)
1. Mrs. H. P. “Belle” Graham owner of the property rents furnished rooms from for light housekeeping from 1912 to 1924
Blanche and Chester Failor, renters, (1916-1924)
1. C.R. Failor got a telephone installed in 1916.
Belle Graham and Evelyn Graham Residence, (1924-1928)
1. Belle and her daughter moved in the house in 1924.
Evelyn Graham Wildman and Richard Wildman Residence, (1928-1935)
1. Evelyn Graham married Richard Wildman in 1928 and took up residence with Belle Graham. Belle Graham died in the house in 1929.
Dorothy May and William John Devine, renters, (1935-1937)
Clarence L. Taylor renter, (1937-1941)
1. Mr. Taylor of Wooster moved into the Wildman home in 1937. He is with Ohio Fuel Gas Company
Evelyn Graham Wildman and Richard Wildman Residence, 1941-1942)
1. Wildman’s rented to Ernest Rollins and moved out in 1942.
Ernest Rollins, renter, (1942-1943)
1. Ernest Rollins purchased the house and property from Richard Wildman’ in 1943.
Marie and Earl I. Voorhees Residence, (1945-1959).
1. 6 rooms all modern hardwood floors with a cement drive for sale at $8000 in 1945.
2. Marie and Earl Voorhees purchased the house and property from Ernest Rollins in 1945.
3. Earl was a farmer and also worked at Oatman Market and at R. O. Bowman as a miller.
4. Marie died in 1959.
Luna Cox Residence, (1959-1971)
1. Luna Cox aka Whitney Luna Cox purchased the property from the executor of the estate of Marie Voorhees in 1959.
Owen Cox Residence, (1971-1975)
1. Owen Cox acquired the property from the estate of Luna aka Whitney Cox in 1971.
Ralph and Linda Ann Piatt Residence, (1975-1981)
1. Ralph and Linda Ann Piatt sold the property to Bank-One, Inc. in 1981.
2. The house at 208 East Smith Road was raised in 1982.
Bank-One Medina Auto-teller, (1985-2005)
Family Video Club, Inc., Medina, (2008-Present)
#214 East Smith Road: Ryan House, 1911
Eva and Andrew H. Ryan Residence, (1911-1916)
1. Andy Ryan sold the property to Henry H. Northrop a builder in 1916.
Burlie C. and Marie F. Meek Residence, (1916-1920)
Melva and Samuel W. Bachtell Residence, (1920-1944)
Walter Marsh Renter, (1928-1930)
1. In 1928 the house became a double rental.
U. A. Smithberger Renter, (1928-1930)
Willard B. Parker Renter, (1931-1939)
Harold Potts Renter, (1943-1946).
Barbara and Aldis L. Cleveland Renter, 2nd floor, (1946-1948)
William C. Dreibellis Renter, (1948-1949)
R. L. Ryan Renter, (1952-1955)
Beatrice Overholt Renter, (1952-1955)
Ruth Bachtell Residence, (1944-1966)
James C. and Bonnie R. Halsey Residence, (1966-1977)
William W. Miller Renter, (1976-1977)
Karlon G. Roop Residence, (1978-1981)
1. Karlon G. Roop purchased the property from the estate of Bonnie Halsey in 1977)
2. Karlon G. Roop sold the property to Bank-One, Inc in 1981.
Karl Fieger and Kenneth Milligan Residence, (1979-1981)
Bank-One Medina Auto-teller, (1985-2005)
Family Video Club, Inc., Medina, (2008-Present)
1. The house at 214 East Smith Road was raised to make way for the Family Video Store in 2008.
#218 East Smith Road: Atwood House-1890
Merritt Atwood Residence, (1890-1904)
George Shaw Residence, (1904-1917)
Edward R. Haudchy Residence, (1917-1919)
Herbert Needham Residence, (1919-1954)
Charles Pyecroft Residence, (1954-1977)
Peter and Beatrice Moser Residence, (1977-1990)
Francis C. and Lois J. Kirk Residence, (1991-1998)
Ronald Coppolino Residence, (1998-2001)
Christopher and Barbara A. Snyder Residence, (2001-2016)
Innovation Holdings Company, Inc., Rental Property, (2017-Present)
#226-250 East Smith Road: Shepard Mill,-1872, Medina Supply Co. Bldg.-1959
Shepard’s Mill, O. C. Sheppard, Prop. (1870–1907)
1. O. C. Shepard came to Medina from New York State. In 1850 he with many others sought their fortunes in the California “gold rush”, but returned to Medina to pursue business opportunities here.
2. In 1870, Mr. O. C. Shepard purchased lots from C. E. Bostwick for $300 and small building and will build grist and sawmill costing $10,000 to engage in the milling business.
3. In 1881 he installed the elevator and better machinery in the 4 story high mill that produced the “magnificent” flour and also the production of high grade feed products. O. C. Shepard died in 1893.
O. C. Shepard Company, A. E. Shepard, P. W. Shepard and D. C. Shepard, Props. (1907-1930)
1. 43 rats killed in the Sheppard’s mill with sulphuic acid and arsenic of potassium in 1906.
2. The mill was managed by brother, Dwight C. Sheppard beginning in 1907.
3. The concrete elevator at Shepard’s mill stood 24’ tall in 1914.
4. Built in 1872, the O.C. Shepard mill was totally destroyed by a fire in 1917. Only the concrete bin stand survived and 2000 bushels of grain inside were lost. Wm Schaefer had been the miller for over 30 years
5. The Shepard brothers rebuilt the feed mill that year, but did not add the flour mill.
6. O.C. Shepard Company sold the flour business to Medina Farmers Exchange Company and has not made flour since the mill burned 1917,
7. The old chimney at the O. C. Shepard mill was taken down, the oldest and largest in the village surpassed only by the A. I. Root Co. in 1926.
Farm Service Bureau, (1930-1933)
1. Farm Service Bureau has taken over the Sheppard’s mill where milling for farmers and general business will be carried on by a 3 year lease from the Sheppard family,
2. The Shepard store on the Public Square will continue in business and the manufacturing as well as grinding will still be done at the mill beginning in 1931,
Medina Farm Bureau Co-op Association, #226, (1933-1948)
1. Sheppard’s new building closed in 1930 and became Medina County Farm Bureau Co-op in 1933,
2. Medina Farm Bureau moved to State Road in 1948.
Medina Supply Company, John Moxley and Elbridge Moxley, Props. #250, (1943-1956)
1. Brothers Elbridge R. and John F. Moxley founded Medina Supply Company in 1941 and operated their concrete business at the old Clement building on South Broadway Street.
2. Medina Supply Company owned by the Moxley brothers moved to the Paul Anderson barn in 1943.
Medina Supply Company is a dealer for Quonset Huts in 1946.
1. During the war the Navy needed an all-purpose, lightweight building that could be shipped anywhere, assembled quickly and easily, and come in a variety of sizes.
2. The name comes from the site of manufacture, Quonset Point Naval Base, Rhode Island where 150,000 Quonset huts were manufactured by the Navy.
3. After the war, the surplus huts were sold to the public and were adapted as quick and easy housing for the soldiers’ ‘baby boom’ families.
4. The acute housing shortage after the war brought them into the general housing market. The lightweight, prefabricated structures are created with steel ribs onto which the corrugated steel sheets are welded, creating the familiar tunnel shape. The absence of interior columns or divisions makes creates a flexible space applicable to any floor plan.
5. The Quonset hut has a long history, such as the longhouse built by some Native Americans. Disadvantages such as loss of usable space where the roof meet the floor, and lack of windows except on the end walls were met with creative design and engineering.
6. The buildings were sold locally by the Medina Supply Company. They would assemble the shell on site, after which the homeowner would complete the interior. The mass production created a very economical and quickly built home. A team could build one in a few days.
7. Medina’s first Quonset home was built in 1946 for Gaylord Patterson for his family of five who lived at 231 North Jefferson Street.
8. It is 20’ wide and 48’ long has a 20’ x 14’ living room, 9’ x 10’ kitchen, two bedrooms, a nursery, bath, 6 closets, radiant heat built into the concrete floors, and the sides and curved roof are insulated.
9. The shell cost was $1800. The Patterson’s spent an additional $4500 more to complete the interior, according to Mrs. Patterson, and “yes, there is plenty of room”.
10. Mrs. Alma C Doty lived here for 20 years. Her poem Service Flag in My Heart was set to music and played at the Tomb of Unknown Soldier during WWII.
11. They built ones for storage at the fairgrounds, a warehouse for Standard Welding Service, and 4000 feet of office space for Ohio Farmers’ Insurance. Amstutz Hatchery built a tunnel shell of wood and concrete block for hatching baby chicks. They are still being sold today and popular for storage, workshops, sheds, etc.
Gunnison Medina Homes Company, Carl J. Anderson, John Moxley and Elbridge Moxley, Props. (1943-1949)
Medina Steel Building Company, Carl J. Anderson, John F. and Elbridge R. Moxley, Props. (1948-1952)
1. Medina Supply Company sold one-half acre of land at 248 East Smith Road to Ruth H. and Virgil W, Neuenschwander, (operator of Amstutz Hatcheries) in 1941.
Medina Supply Company, John Moxley and Elbridge Moxley, Props. #226, (1956-1975)
1. The old Sheppard mill property was sold to Medina Supply in 1956 and the buildings were razed in 1957.
2. Medina Supply Company built a new International style office building in 1959.
Medina Cartage Company, John Moxley and Elbridge Moxley, Props. (1957-1975)
1. Medina Cartage Company was formed as a division of Medina Supply Company for the operation and maintenance of their fleet of cement truck and other company vehicles.
2. A large concrete and brick building was built at 250 East Smith Road in 1959 to house the Medina Cartage Company.
Medina Supply Company, Division of Schwab Industries, (1975-2010)
1. Medina Supply Company was acquired in 1975 by Schwab Industries of Dover, Ohio, a leading supplier of building materials and ready mix concrete for residential, commercial and industrial markets since 1950.
2. On February 28, 2010 Medina Supply Company filed a voluntary petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Ohio. This is in joint administration with Schwab Industries Inc.
Medina Supply Company, Division of the Shelly Company, Ty Nofziger, President, (2010-2018)
1. Medina Supply Company joined The Shelly Company in 2010.
2. Medina Supply continues to be a leading supplier of building materials and ready mix concrete for residential, commercial and industrial markets as well as Ohio Department of Transportation major projects by operating 110 mixer trucks throughout Northeast Ohio.
3. In 2013, Medina Supply, a division of The Shelly Company, and the Suicide Prevention Education Alliance (SPEA) are debuting a themed mixer truck that aims to raise awareness about suicide prevention.
4. The Shelly Company has been using its ready mix trucks as moving billboards since 2009. The company’s themed truck program reflects its employees’ passions and experiences.
#235 East Smith Road: Shaw House,-1894
William C. Greisinger sold west Part-lot 51 to Dennis H. and Harriet M. Shaw in 1892.
Dennis H. and Harriet (Hattie) M. Shaw Residence, (1892-1900)
1. In 1894, the Shaw’s built a house on their lot 51.
Frank E. and Harriet (Hattie) M. Shaw Residence and Business, (1900-1909)
1. Frank E. Shaw has a machine shop for bicycle repairs and enamels them for $2.00 each.
2. In 1900, Frank Shaw is a blacksmith, wagon machine, bicycle and general repairs dealer in gasoline and steam engines.
3. Frank E. Shaw closed his blacksmith and machine shop business and moved to Cleveland, Ohio in 1929 and he retired as a stationary engineer in 1933.
4. Judge Fremont O Phillips (probate judge 1891-1897) bought 2 lots next to Frank Shaw and will build 2 houses to rent in 1903.
Harriet M. Shaw Residence, (1909-1928)
1. Harriet Melissa Shaw died in 1928, wife of Dennis H. Shaw who operated the Union Hotel on South Court Street and died in 1899.
2. In 1928, The Old Shaw property on East Smith Road just east of school athletic grounds was sold by Harriet Shaw heirs to Ben Tebbit for $2,800,
3. Ben Tebbit re-sold the Shaw property to the Medina School Board of Education which hopes to get property behind it also in 1928.
Medina Village Schools Athletic Property, (1930-2018)
#241 East Smith Road: Schafer House,-1909
William Schafer Part-Lot 51, (1902-1909)
1. James H. Hart sold part-lot 51 at the northwest corner of Smith and Jefferson Streets for $48 to William Schafer in 1902.
2. William Schafer sold his property to Arthur O Schafer in 1909,
3. Arthur O. Schafer built a house east of the High School for William Schafer in 1909.
William Schafer Residence, (1909-1916)
1. William Schafer house has 10 rooms, furnace, and electric lights in 1912,
2. In 1915 a modern 10-room house, barn 24’x34’, concrete drive, with a lot 100’x225’, with up to 6 acres available.
Park Bigelow renter, (1911-1912)
Chester A. Henry, renter (1911- 1913)
AL Reed renter, (1913-1914)
Ellen Francelia, renter, (1915-1916)
Mary and William D. Frazier Residence, (1916-1926)
1. William was a famous hunter; in his youth he once outran a horse from Medina to Sharon because the horse dropped dead ½ ways there; he also caught a fox with his bare hands.
2. William D. Frazier died in 1926.
Mary D. Frazier Residence, (1926-1928)
Margaret and Albert Weir Residence. (1929-1947)
Maude B. Dickerhoof Residence, (1948-1954)
1. In 1954, Mrs. Dickerhoof sold her property to the Medina City School Board of Education.
2. The Schafer house was raised by the Board of Education to allow more space for recess activities.
#247 East Smith Road: Hart House,-1909
John H. Hart Residence, (1909-1915)
1. John H. Hart purchased Part-lot 51 from Mary Ringler in 1900.
2. John H. Hart died in 1915 and John G. Hart inherited his father’s property.
3. John G. Hart sold Part-lot 51 to M. G. Huffman in 1916)
M. E. Huffman Residence, (1916-1920)
1. M. E. Huffman sold his property to Edgar Wiley who in turn resold the Part-lot 51 property to Lewis J. Westland in 1920
Mildred Lela and Lewis J. Westland Residence, (1920-1973)
1. The estate of Lewis Westland sold the property to Leslie and Georgia Fortner in 1974.
Leslie and Georgia Fortner Residence, (1974-1979)
1. Leslie Fortner sold his property to Stanley Scheetz in 1979
Stanley D. Scheetz, Attorney, (1979-1985)
1. In 1985, Stanley Scheetz transferred his property to Medina Law Real Estate Partnership
Arthur Shelton, Attorney, and Wheeler and Associates, (1982-1987)
Eric D. Ritz, Attorney, Robert Schultz, Attorney, L. Thompson, Sindell and Sindell, (1988-1991)
Susan Kimbler, Attorney, and Sindell and Sindell, (1991-1993)
Novak E. Rubenstein, Attorney (1993-1995)
Christopher Collier, Attorney, Keven W. Dunn, Attorney, Novak E. Rubenstein, (1995-2000)
John Brooks Cameron, Wendy Cameron, Brooks and Associates, James Sayre, Attorney, (1996-2005)
1. Medina Law Real Estate Partnership property was sold to Wendy Cameron in 1996.
John Brooks Cameron, Attorney, Conrad Olson, Attorney, David C. Sheldon, Attorney, (2005-2010)
John Brooks Cameron, Attorney (2010-2018)
David C. Sheldon, Attorney, (2010-2018)
#254 East Smith Road: Waters Barn,-1870, Anderson House and Stables,-1913
Waters Wagon Draying Company, Ben Waters, Prop. (1870-1913)
1. Ben Waters sold his wagon draying business to Warren J. Anderson and Son in 1913. .
Warren J. Anderson Livery Stables, (1913-1919)
Anderson and Son Coal Company, Warren J. and Paul Anderson Props. (1916-1919)
1. Warren J. Anderson sold to Vera M. and Paul J. Anderson horses, livestock, coal cinders and feed business in 1919,
Anderson Livery Stables, Paul J. Anderson, Prop. (1919-1942)
1. Warren Anderson sells horses at Paul Anderson’s barn in 1925.
2. Tony McHatton is an auctioneer of stock at Andersons Sale Barn in 1931.
3. Vera M. and Paul J. Anderson barn some distance to rear of the Medina Supply Company lot was bought by the Moxley’s in 1942. Paul Anderson had held consignment sales there.
James Scott Residence, (1925-1928)
1. James Scott moved into the Paul Anderson home in 1925.
Harold E. Williams Residence, (1928-1932)
Medina Supply Company, John Moxley and Elbridge Moxley, Props. #254, Rear, (1943-1959)
1. Brothers Elbridge R. and John F. Moxley founded Medina Supply Company in 1941 and operated their concrete business at the old Clement Supply Company building on South Broadway Street.
2. Moxley’s moved their concrete supply business to the Paul Anderson barn from South Broadway Street in 1943.
3. Moxley’s moved their concrete supply business to their newly constructed buildings and offices at #250 East Smith Road in 1959
Gunnison Medina Homes Company, Carl J. Anderson, John F. and Elbridge R. Moxley, Props. (1943-1949)
Medina Steel Building Company, Carl J. Anderson, John .F and Elbridge R. Moxley, Props. (1946-1952)
1. In 1946, Medina Supply Company was a dealer for Quonset Huts, a WWII type of building.
Anderson Trucking Company, Paul J. Anderson, Prop. (1948-1964)
Betty Clark and Ina Cary Residence, (1943-1944)
1. Betty Clark who works at Andersons Drug and widow of Private William Clark lived with mother Ina Carey in 1942.
Vera Fields Residence, 2nd floor, (1944-1948)
William C. and Elizabeth Anderson Residence, (1944-1954)
1. Elizabeth is a physical therapist and William C Anderson is a civil engineer.
Paul J. and Vera Anderson Residence, (1948-1975)
1. Vera Anderson died in 1974 and Paul died in 1975.
2. In 1975, the Vera Anderson estate sold the property to Donald W. Santee
Eva and George E. Norton Residence, 2nd floor, (1948-1949)
Marie Randell Residence, 2nd floor, (1948-1951)
Alice Hindle Residence, 2nd floor, (1951-1952)
1. Mrs. Alice Hindle makes body supports to Doctors specifications for clients in 1951.
Bernice Selzer Residence, 2nd floor, (1952-1960)
Chalmers Zimmerman Residence, 2nd floor, (1960-1963)
Lester Norman Residence, 2nd floor, (1963-1965)
William Kubena Residence, 2nd floor, (1966-1972)
Buckeye Reserve Title Insurance, (1976-1979)
Santee and Associates, (1976-1984)
1. In 1984, Santee and Associates sold the property to Lee J. Hutton.
S. H. Reichle, renter, 2nd Floor, (1976-1987)
C. T. Maxim Antique Shop, (1988-1993)
Lee J. Hutton Residence, (1984-2018)
#302 East Smith Street: Leinseder House,-1916, Bauer House,-1939
Warren J. Anderson Part-Lot 61, (Prior to 1905)
Allen Young Part Lot 61, (1905-1908)
Barbara and Levi Witzman Part-Lot 61, (1908-1916)
Jessie and F. E. Leinseder Residence, (1916-1921)
1. In 1916, F. E. Leinseder build a house on the part-lot 61 purchased from Levi Witzman.
Clyde M. Daughtery Residence, (1921-1937)
1. Clyde Dougherty to sell his 9 room house with, breakfast room, screened back porch, 4 car garage and chicken house in 1927.
R. E. House, renter, (1927-1930)
Dr. D. G. Dean, renter, (1930-1931)
Glen Daughtery renter, (1931-1935)
Helen Louise and A. Henry Bernhardt renter, (1935-1937)
1. In 1937, Clyde M. Daughtery sold his property to Vernon and Sadie Horton.
Vernon and Sadie Residence, (1937-1937)
Harry Krieger renter, (1937-1938)
Mrs. Myrtle Kramer renter, (1938-1939)
Ruth and Howard W. Bauer, Residence, (1939-1988)
1. In 1939, Vernon Horton sold his property to Ruth and Howard Bauer.
Mary Ulmer, renter, 2nd floor, (1948-?
Ruth Ulmer Bauer Residence, (1989-2002)
1. In 1989, the Bauer house and business was transferred to their son, Bruce Bauer.
L. B. Dayton, renter, (1976-1995)
Bruce Bauer Rental Property, (2002-2006)
Michael Jodway Rental Property, (2006-2018)
#306 East Smith Street: Bauer Business Bldg.-1939
Bauer and Son Heating and Roofing Company, Howard W. Bauer, Prop. (1939-1976)
Bauer and Son Heating and Cooling Company, Howard W. and Bruce Bauer, Props. (1976-1989)
Bauer and Son Heating and Cooling Company, Bruce Bauer, Prop. (1989-2000)
Mike Geschke Heating Company, (2000-2001)
1. In 2000, Bruce Bauer sold his business to Mike Geschke.
One Hour Air Conditioning and Heating Company, Mike Geschke, Prop. (2001-2007)
1. In 2008, Michael Jodway Heating and Cooling Company purchased the property and established his business at 306 East Smith Road.
Jodway Heating and Cooling Company, Michael Jodway, Prop. (2008-2018)
#322 East Smith Road: Crowfoot Residence and Barn, 1916
Honey Tree Paper Company, (1910-1915)
Charles R. Crofoot Residence, (truant officer 1915-1924) (1916-1929)
Ruth and Robert L. Crofoot Residence, (mason, sells rabbits), (1919-1926)
Harry E. Williams (opened an automobile junkyard here, (1924-1934)
1. In 1929, Williams is sued by neighbors and Fred W. Bohley in 1929.
Parmelia and Arthur Eden Residence, (1944-1946)
Lenora G. and Arthur S. Eden Residence, (lab worker at Water Works), (1946-1952)
1. Junk yard sold to Dr. W.A. Nichols but there was a several year lease in 1944.
2. NE corner East Smith and East Street, M. Pestkovitsky closed auto junk yard, eyesore, property owned by Dr. W.A. Nichols in 1949.
Accurate TV and Electronics Service, Al R. Skoda, Prop. (1976-1995)
Power House, (1976-1995)
Medina Bicycle Shop, in basement, (1988-
Audio and Video Interiors, Inc., (1995-2000)
House of Flowers and Gifts Ltd., Vickie Kania, prop., (2001-2018)
#326 East Smith Road: Anderson Bldg.-1928
Washburn Grocery Store. Ward Washburn, Prop. (1928-1932)
1. Ward Washburn opened a grocery in the Paul Anderson Building near the Bennett Bending Works in 1928.
2. Mr. Washburn was formerly the Medina County Auditor.
Frederick Cash Grocery, Lewis and Grace Frederick, Props. (1933-1937)
1. Paul and Vera Anderson sold their building to the Fredericks in 1937 and Louie and Grace started a small deli/grocery to serve the local area.
Little Whiz Grocery Store. Lewis Frederick, Prop. (1937-1945)
1. They served the area with fresh food (and in the case of eggs, from the chickens they raised in their own backyard, across the street from the store), ice cream, meats end other staples
2. It seems they also acted as a lunch room for the Bennett Lumber Company formerly the Bennett/ Bending Works that was located next door.
Lucille and Donald C. Strock, Residence, (1943-1945)
1. The Strock family rented the 2nd floor for 3 years while Donald worked in the village as a taxi driver.
Hoff’s Grocery Store, Marcel Hoff, Prop. (1946-1968)
1. After the Fredrick's retirement, the store was taken over by Marcel Hoff and his wife Ruth. They successfully ran Hoff’s Grocery until 1968, when they also retired. Marcel also worked at Medina Water Treatment Plant for 30 years.
2. Paul Anderson sold goods in a storage house at rear of Hoff’s grocery in 1948.
3. Grace Frederick sold the property to Marcel R. Hoff in 1965 that had been leased since 1946.
Lucille and Clare E. Burkett Residence, (1948-1952)
1. Lucille and Clare E. Burkett (foreman at Henry Furnace Co.) rented the 2nd floor apartment from 1948 to 1952.
Graff’s Glass Company, Floyd Graff, Prop. (1969-2003)
1. Floyd C. and Eveline Graff purchased the property from Marcel and Ruth Marie Hoff in 1968.
2. Graff's Glass moved their existing glass business from 108 East Smith Road, 2 blocks to the west, into the new location and added a service bay at the rear of the building.
FBN Systems, Tom Doyle, Prop. (2003-2018)
1. In 2003 the building was purchased by Thomas Doyle to house his Burglar and Fire alarm business, FBN Systems.
2. After a slow process of fixing and remodeling, it was decided to use the first floor of the building, to display Tom's ever expanding private collection of antique fire equipment.
3. With the historic research that was done about the building, it was decided to capitalize on the humorous first business's name (Little Whiz Grocery Store) and it’s somewhat comical association with fire equipment.
Little Wiz Museum, Tom Doyle, Prop. (2010-2018)
1. The Little Wiz Fire Museum is dedicated to the education of individuals, and the furtherance and preservation of the early history of firefighting, and the generous individuals that bonded together for the protection of all.
2. The Museum is not physically large, but contains a large (and somewhat tightly packed) collection of early fire equipment
3. Visitors are given a personal tour, with informative descriptions of the equipment displayed, so they will walk away with as much education and history as possible.
4. The Museum is open 9am to 4pm most Saturdays through the year, or other times by appointment. For private tours or students and small groups, you are advised to call.. 330-419-0200... to make arrangements.
#342 East Smith Road: Bennett Bldg.-1895
Medina Bending Works, Scott Bennett and Theodore G. Andrews, Props. (1891-1894)
1. Medina Bending Works was founded in 1891 by Scott Bennett, born in Windfall in 1857 and taught school in Weymouth as young man.
2. The Bending Works was originally located on South Elmwood Street across from East Mill Street and was so named because of the process used in making wagon wheel rims.
3. Later the manufacture of spokes was added and neck yokes, Whipple trees, double trees, bent rims and other wagon material is produced for the trade.
Medina Bending Works, Scott Bennett and George Bauer Props. (1895-1897)
1. In 1894, Mr. T. G. Andrews sold his interests in the business to George Bauer.
2. The Bending Works was moved in 1895 to newly purchased land at 342 East Smith Road.
3. Bennett Bending Works built a new office building north of the mill 20”x26” built of hollow blocks and finished with stucco and fireproof in 1912.
4. In 1897, Scott Bennett purchased the business interests of George Bauer.
Medina Bending Works, Scott Bennett, Prop. (1897-1934)
1. Medina Bending Works is well quipped for the caring and seasoning of lumber with three large dry kills utilized for that propose.
2. Gertrude V. and Frank Lacroix sold part lot 61 to Bennett Bending Works in 1931.
Bennett Lumber Company, Scott Bennett, Carter I. Bennett and Homer Bennett, Props. (1926-1934)
1. In 1926, the company name was changed when the lumber business became a more prominent part of the total operation.
2. Scott Bennett’s Sons, Carter I. and Homer Bennett joined the firm in 1926.
3. Scott Bennett turned the business reins over to his two sons Carter and Homer and took a well-deserved retirement in 1934.
Bennett Lumber Company, Carter Bennett and Homer Bennett, Props. (1934-1965)
1. The company sold prefab brooder houses 10”x12” in 1945.
2. Homer and Carter Bennett sold an interest in the business to L. Roy Lehman and Ty Brooke in 1960.
3. L. Roy Lehman acquired the interest in the lumber business from partner Ty Brooke in 1964.
Bennett Lumber and Home Center, L. Roy Lehman and H. M. Jaeger, Props. (1965-1981)
1. Bennett Lumber Company was sold to L. Roy Lehman and new partner, H. M. Jaeger in 1965.
2. The business name was changed to Bennett Lumber and Home Center in 1965 and they converted 500 feet of display space into more than 25,000 feet in a short few years.
3. As early as 1967 when Roy Lehman Jr. joined the firm the business has been a family run operation with both sons and daughters and spouses of Lehman and Jaeger involved together with other 45 employees.
4. Business has grown to $5 million annually in 1979 with Lehman handling the contractor business and Jaeger managing the retain business
Bennett Lumber and Home Center, Roy F. Lehman and David Jaeger, Props. (1981-2001)
1. Ownership of the business was transferred to their sons, Roy F. Lehman and David Jaeger in 1981.
2. During their ownership they have added space in the plumbing department, kitchen and bath remodeling and appliance area to a total of 28,000 feet.
3. The Bennett Lumber Company and Home Center is one of the oldest in the county with 110 years of continuous service supplying the needs of the community.
James Lumber Company, (2001-2005)
1. Roy F. Lehman and David Jaeger rented the building and property to James Lumber Company under a four year lease in 2001.
1. For nearly five years the buildings were unoccupied while the owners Lehman and Jaeger searched for a tenant.
Habitat for Humanity Retail Store, Dan Schomacher, Prop. (2012-2018)
1. Roy F.. Lehman and David Jaeger sold the buildings and part-lot 61 to Habitat for Humanity in 2011.
2. In 2012, Lehman and Jaeger sold two parcels on the east side of Lot 61 to the City of Medina.