East Washington Street

East Washington Street looking east.jpg

#211 East Washington Street:

Private Residence (Prior to 1972)

Partial List of residents (1949-1971)

S.  F. Bucks, (1949-1952)

R. E. Lishen, (1953-1956)

Shirley Englert, (1956-1960)

Virgil Koppes, (1960-1965)

Vacant, (1965-1966)

Glenn E. Gensemer, (1967-1971)

Property purchased by Medina County Commissioners and House demolished in 1972.

 

#218 East Washington Street: Northern Ohio Telephone Bldg.-1927, Law and Commerce Bldg.-1969

Private Residence, (Prior to 1927)

Northern Ohio Telephone Company, (1927-1957)

1.  In 1927 Northern Ohio Telephone came into existence as the results of a merger of all companies controlled and operated by Frank Knapp and Associates.

2.  Northern Ohio Telephone inaugurated dial service in 1942.

3.  On July 7, 1957, a completely new exchange, located at #140 West Washington Street, was placed in service. Direct Distance Dialing came to Medina as a part of this move.

Vacant Commercial Building, (1958-1969)

Carolina Counters, (1969-1973)

Auble Stereo Service, (1969-1970)

Phillip A. Baird, Attorney, (1969-1970)

Harry E. Van Horsten, Attorney, (1969-1971)

Paul Revere Insurance Company, (1969-1970)

American Can Company, (1969-1971)

Jack M. Kinney, Attorney, (1969-1991)

Roger R. Ingraham, Attorney, (1969-1991)

Deltroi Corporation, (1969-1970)

Dale W. Sigafoose Company, (1969-1970)

James Navratill Real Estate, (1969-1970)

Lithrum Corporation of America, (1969-1972)

James A. Bixby, (1971-1973)

Pedigree Pet Shop, (1971-1973)

Bruce Fedor, Attorney, (1973–1974)

Max Plaugher Photography, (1974-1975)

RWM Publications, (1974-1975)

Big M Freezer Meats, (1974-1979)

Vet-Search Laboratories, Inc. (1974-1975)

Century Title Agency, (1976-1980)

The Clock Shop, (1976-1977)

William Dietz, CPA, (1976 -1985)

Mr. Groom Products, W. T. Rawleigh, Prop. (1978-1980)

Stewart Title Agency of Ohio, (1978-1980)

Rolling, Hocevar and Associates, (1978-1980)

Don Williams and Associates, (1980-1991)

Warren Raese Inc. CPA, (1981-1991)

American Cancer Society, (1982-1984)

Medina Secretarial Service, (1982-1984)

A First Printing, (1982-1983)

Country Art Gallery, (1982-1983)

U.S. Business, (1982-1983)

UPS Office, (1982-1983)

William L. Thorne, Attorney, (1982-1991)

State Farm Insurance Company, (1985-1988)

Executive Title Agency, (1985-1989)

David Bond Insurance, (1988-1990)

Christopher H. Collier, Attorney, (1991-1991)

Dorcas A. Russo, Attorney, (1991-1991)

James L. Berry, CPA, (1985-1993)

Medina County District Library, (1994-Present)

#219 East Washington Street:

Private Residence, (Prior to 1960)

Partial List of residents (1948-1960)

Margene Moore, (1948-1952)

Edna Naragon, (1952-1956)

Marie Jackson, (1952-1956)

Ruby Robison, (1956-1960)

Ruth Harter, (1956-1960)

Medina County YWCA, (1948-1972)

1.  YWCA sold the building to the Medina County Commissioners in 1972.

Medina County Youth Services (1973-1978)

Medina County Prosecutor’s Office, (1978-1982)

Ohio Department of Taxation, (1981-1982)

Property purchased by the Medina County Commissioners and the House was demolished in 1982.

 

#226 East Washington Street:

Private Residence, (Prior 1960-1969)

George A. Washburn, 1st floor, (1960-1963)

Florence J. Phillips, 2nd floor, (1948-1969)

Vacant, (1969-1971)

Dale W. Sigafoose, Realtor, (1971-1975)

The Country Peddler, (1976-1977)

The Encore Shop, (1976-1982)

Village Framer, (1976-1988)

Mud Mothers Pottery, (1978-1985)

The Cheese House, (1978-1980)

Village Booksmith, (1981-1985)

Stained Glass Creations, (1981-1982)

Soft-touch Fabric Fantasies, (1981-1982)

Just For You, (1982-1984)

Country Junction, (1985-1988)

VLG Ceramics and Gifts, (1989-1991)

Wood Shed of Medina, (1992-1999)

Daubney & Associates, (1993-1994)

Sun Lotus Yoga, (1997-1997)

Janel Resources Group, (1998-1998)    

Investment Management and Research, (1997-1999)

Blue Phillips House.jpg

1.  The "Blue" Phillips house was one of the homes that were part of Victorian Village on East Washington Street.

2.  The homes are all gone now, removed for the Medina Library Expansion.

3.  The Phillips house was dismantled and moved across country to the San Francisco area and rebuilt.

Vacant, (2000-2006)

Medina County District Library Parking Lot, (2008-Present)

 

#227 East Washington Street:

Private Residence (Prior to 1960)

Vacant, (1960-1965)

Medina County Welfare Department, (1965-1970)

Family Guidance Clinic, (1970-1975)

Medina County Mental Health and Retardation Board, (1973-1975)

Community Mental Health Services, 1975-1982)

Property purchased by the Medina County Commissioners and the house demolished in 1982.

 

#233 East Washington Street:

Albert Munson Residence, (1886-1911)

Lyman Munson Residence, (1911-1913)

Cora (Munson) Blakeslee Residence, (1914-1952)

Munson House.jpg

Vacant, (1953-1959)

Munson House Museum: Medina County Historical Society, (1960-1982)

Munson House, Propsect St..jpg

Munson house moved to Prospect Street in 1985.

 

#234 East Washington Street:

George H. Nugent, Private Residence, (Prior to 1965)

Jessie M. Nugent, Private Residence, (1966-1969)

Gorfido Real Estate, James Gorfido, Prop. (1969-1974)

Bishop Realtors, (1974-1975)

James Building Company, #234.5, (1974-1975)

The Wood Shed (1975-1985)

Fabric Attic, #234.5, (1978-1980)

Gnome Hollow, Inc. (1981-1982)

Upstairs Wallpaper and Accessories, #234.5, (1985-1992)

Hearthside Stitchery, (1988-1991)

Medina Golf & Repair, (1992-1996)

Bead Botique, (1994-1994)

Creative Life Change, (1996-1997)

Treasured Friends Country STR, (1998-1999)

This-n-That Antique Shop, (2000-2006)

Vacant, (2007-2008)  

1.  Houses containing businesses at 234, 240, and 246 East Washington Street were raised in February 2008 to provide for a parking lot for the Medina District Library in 2008.

Medina County District Library Parking Lot (2009-Present)

 

#240 East Washington Street:

Private Residence, (Prior 1960-1976)

The Bee Hive Gift House, (1976-1982)

The Village Framer, (1980–1986)

The Fabric Attic, (1982-1985)

Hearthside Stitchery, (1985-1989)

Kitchen Kandy and Kakes, Karen and Buck Jones, Prop. (1987–1990)

Moved to 8 West Public Square in 1990.

Country Junction, (1989–1991)

Simpson Clock Repair, (1991-1997)

Grandma Hattie’s, (2000-2004)

North Coast Precision Service Inc, (1991-2007)

1.  Houses containing businesses at 234, 240, and 246 East Washington Street were raised in February 2008 to provide for a parking lot for the Medina District Library in 2008.

Medina County District Library Parking Lot (2009-Present)

 

#245 East Washington Street:

Private Residence, (Prior to 1960)

Marathon Service Station, Glenn, Prop. (1963-1966)

Marathon Service Station, Jim, Prop. (1963-1969)

Marathon Service Station, Edward, Prop. (1969-1971)

Marathon Service Station, Gus, Prop. (1971-1977)

Interstate Marathon, (1977-1990)

Lloyd Auto Care, (1991-1996)

Vacant, (1997-1998)

Norris Auto Outlet, (1999-2000)

Property purchased by the Medina County Commissioners and the building raised in 2001.

Medina County Parking Garage, (2009-Present)

Court House Parking Lot 6.jpg

 

#246 East Washington Street:

Private Residence, (Prior to 1975)

The Village Booksmith, 1st Floor, (1976-1980)

1.  Village Booksmith moved the business to #226 E. Washington Street in 1980.

The Spanish Galleon, 2nd Floor, (1976-1978)

Down-Under Fabric and Notions, 1st Floor, (1978-1981)

The Woodshed Arts and Crafts, 2nd Floor, (1978-1981)

Village Clip Shoppe, (1981-1995)

The Ivy Tree, (1996-1996)

Xpress Hair Care Styling Salon, (1997-1997)

Vacant, (1998-1998)

This-N-That Resale Shop, (1999-1999)

Vacant, (2000-2000)

Talk of the Towne, (2001-2001)

Faded Lace Antiques and Décor, (2002-2003)

Vacant, (2004-2004)

Medina Tool and Trade, (2005-2005)

Cameron Pedro, Attorney, (2005-2008)

1.  Houses containing businesses at 234, 240, and 246 East Washington Street were raised in February 2008 to provide for a parking lot for the Medina District Library in 2008.

Medina County District Library Parking Lot (2009-Present)