North Court Street/West

North Court Street View.jpg

 

#105 North Court Street:  Empire Block–1860, Barnard Block–1877, Hemmeter Block-1914, Access to 2nd Floor

Ashley Pelton, Attorney, (1928–1953)

Dr. E. J. McGuire, Optometrist, (1937–1940)

1.  He bought Dr. C .R. Barnard practice.

David D. Porter, Attorney, (1939–1942)    

Dr. Frank C. Reutter, (1940-1945)

Dr. Kenneth G. Robinson, Optometrist, (1945–1952)

1.  Dr. Robinson moved into the office vacated by Dr. F.C. Reutter with entrance on North Court Street.

Theodore V. Foskett, Attorney, (1946–1952)  

1.  Ted Foskett office in the room vacated by David Porter in 1946.

Lest Akins Realty, (1946–1953)

Otis Cronk, Accountant, (1947-1952)

Ray V. Scott, Engineer, (1955-1960)   

E. G. Dillard, (1956-1960) 

Selective Service System Local Board No. 82, (1952-1956)

Lawrence D. Cammack, Architect, (1955-1956)

Scott and Perry Cammack, (1956-1960)

T. J. Neff Civil Engineering Company, (1956-1960)

William R. Wolfe, Attorney, (1956-1960)

E. G. Dillard, (1956-1960)

William Batchelder purchased the Barnard Building in 1960.  He remolded the 2nd floor and closed the North Court Street access to the building.

 

#107 North Court Street: Bronson Bldg.-c.1847, Spillman Bldg.-1878, Boston Department Store Bldg.-1936

Firman Dry Goods and Grocery Cash Store, A. M. Firman, Prop. (1849-1852)

Oatman Stove and Tin Store, Lyman Oatman Jr., Prop. (1872-1872)

1.  The temporary quarters of the Oatman business after the 1870 fire and during building of their new storeroom at #225 South Court Street.

Warren Flour and Feed Store, Phillip Warren, Prop. (1872-1873)

Reinhardt Brothers Bakery, B. O. Reinhardt and George W. Reinhardt, Props. (1873-1874)

1George W. Reinhardt apprenticed to the baker's trade with J. F. Redd, of Loudonville, for two years, and worked with him one year thereafter; and next worked one year in Ashland and two years in Seville.  After which, he and his brother B. O. Reinhardt bought the bakery business of  H. A. Thayer, in Medina.

2.  They did business under the firm style of Reinhardt Brothers for one year after which Mr. G. W. Reinhardt conducted the business alone. 

Medina Bakery, G. W. Reinhardt, Prop. (1874-1877)

1.  Besides the bakery business he makes and deals in confectionary and runs a restaurant where the hungry wayfarer can get oysters dished up any style.

2.  He was doing business in the old Empire Block, which was destroyed by fire in February, 1877. His loss amounted to $500 or $600 over and above his insurance. 

3. Reinhardt moved his bakery to #122 East Liberty Street after the fire of 1877.

 

Hatch Meat Market, J. W. Hatch, Prop. (1873-1877)

The Bronson frame building burnt to the ground during the Empire Block fire in 1877.

Spillman Meat Market, Mark Spillman and J. W. Hatch, Props. (1878-1880)

1.  Spillman bought the Bronson lot and built a one story, frame building, 22 by 50 feet in 1878.

Selkirk Grocery and Meat Market, Lee Selkirk, Prop. (1880-1886)

1.  By calling at the meat market of Mr. Selkirk, opposite the American House Hotel, the visitor will discover a first class meat and vegetable market.

Oviatt Meat Market, Clarence Oviatt, Prop. (1886-1910)

1.  Clarence Oviatt remodeled his meat market, changed position of counters and built new refrigerator in 1900.

Buell and Booth Meat Market, (1911-1916)

F. C. Bartunek Tailor and Dry Cleaning, F. C. Bartunek, Prop. (1916–1922)

Bartunek Ad.jpg

1.  Frank Bartunek moved his tailor shop to one door north of the American House Hotel in 1922.

Quality Fruit and Vegetable Market, Frank J. Hanning, Prop., (1923-1930)

Steingass and Bradway Grocery, Dan Steingass and Andrew Bradway, Props. (1930–1935)

1.  Grocery Store located on the West side of North Court Street and the first door north of Liberty Street.

Boston Department Store, (1936–1962)

1.  The Spillman building was demolished to make way for a new building specifically designed for the new Boston Department Store in 1936.

Vacant, (1963-1965)

Medina Model Raceway, (1966-1968)

Kolor Korner Home Decorating(1969–1975)

Vacant, (1976-1977)

Chicago Title Insurance Company, (1978–2013)

The Sweet Spot, (1988-1989)

Executive Title Agency Corporation, (1989–2010)

C I T A Technology Inc, (1992-1994)

First Federal, (2000-2000)

David B. Hare, Attorney, (2000-2010)

Fox Mortgage, (2001-2010)

Catherine Benfield, PHD, (2002-2007)

Christopher Freeman, Attorney, (2003-2003)

Supeck Enterprises LLC, (2004-2004)

Beau A. Schultz Law Offices, (2004-2012)

By Owner In Ohio Com, (2005-2008)

BGL and Associates, (2008-2015)

Cretella, Michael A., Attorney, (2011-2016)

First American Title, (2012-2016)

Computers Service Networks and Security, (2016-Present)

 

#109-111 North Court Street: Bronson Bldg.-1847, Hayslip Bldg.1878, Sentinel Bldg.-1888

Medina Bakery and Restaurant, A. J. Thayer, Prop. (1871-1877)

1.  The old Bronson Building was destroyed in the Empire Block fire in 1977 and replaced with a new frame, one story building with two entrances in 1878.

Hayslip Grocery and Provision Store, Samuel J. and William H. Hayslip, Props. (1878-1883)

1.  Hayslips’ moved their grocery from #205 South Court Street in 1878.

Medina Democrat Newspaper, J. H. and J. D. Tibbals, Props. (1884-1888)

1.  1888 - The Medina Democrat has shed its name, and reappears as the Medina Sentinel, under the proprietorship of M. L. Dorman and B. Pelton.

Medina Sentinel Newspaper, M. L. Dorman and B. Pelton, Props. (1888–1891)

The Medina Sentinel was established in Medina, Ohio, on October 13, 1888, and served as the official Democratic organ of Medina County.

1.   In 1920,  B. Pelton died. He was Printer, part owner of Sentinel and he also worked 2 years for the Plain Dealer.

2. B.Pelton was employed 13 years as secretary/treasurer for B.H.Wood Company. 

Medina Sentinel Newspaper, Price Russell, Editor and Manager, (1891-1892)

1.  The papers were signed that transferred the Medina Sentinel from Albert Foote’s hands to Messrs. Price Russell of this county and Thomas Crag of Athens, Ohio.  Mr. Russell will be sole editor and manager, and will make his home in Medina.

Medina Sentinel Newspaper, James Long, Proprietor and Editor, (1892–1913)

1.  In June, 1892 James Long bought the Medina Sentinel,

2.  James Long, the Editor and proprietor of the Medina Sentinel Is a thorough and up-to-date newspaper man.

3.  Although the Sentinel is the only democratic newspaper in a county where the opposition is in a large majority, it has a large circulation and is considered second to none of its contemporaries in its journalistic qualities.

4.  There was a fire in the Sentinel building in 1900.

Medina Sentinel Newspaper, M. E. Schlabach, Proprietor and Editor, (1910-1941)

1.  James Long, in failing health, sold the property and Sentinel Newspaper to M. E. and Ross P. Schlabach for $5,500.

The Medina Sentinel Newspaper, George Denton, Editor, (1913–1941)

1.  Mell Slabaugh and Price Russell were part owners of the Sentinel in 1922.

1.  George. Denton, former Mayor of Medina had been its editor from 1913 until his death. "Editor Denton began his newspaper career in 1884, as a 'printer’s devil'. At seventeen, he was the youngest journeyman printer in United States. In the early 1900's, he set type for the Cleveland Press."

2.   In 1921 The Medina Sentinel Newspaper moved their operations and offices from the south door (#109) to the north door (#111) of the Sentinel building.

The Medina Sentinel Newspaper, Andrew M. Long, Prop. (1941–1959)

1.  Since the death of George Denton, who also served a term as probate judge of Medina County, Samuel H. Brainard, a grandson of the late Judge Samuel Humphreyville and the secretary of the Medina County Historical Society, has been associated with Andrew M. Long on the Sentinel.

Under their leadership, the Medina Sentinel claimed to have achieved the “largest county circulation of any newspaper.”

1.  Andrew M. Long passed away April, 1959.

The Medina Sentinel Newspaper, Samuel H. Brainard, Editor, (1959–1961)

1.  In 1961, the Sentinel was absorbed by the County Leader Post. Within a few years, the Post consolidated with the Sentinel’s long-running Republican competitor, the  Medina County Gazette, which still serves the citizens of Medina County today.

2.  The Sentinel was an eight-page weekly and although it included some state and national news, most of the content was focused on local news organized by town name.

3.  For a short time, Seville, a small village south of Medina, even had its own dedicated section called the "Seville Journal."

4.  Local news items were often composed of agricultural, business, church, and court news; classified advertisements; death notices; and "Personals," which reported the comings and goings of the county's residents. The paper also printed serialized literature and during World War I, war bond advertisements.

5..  In support of its political orientation, readers were also encouraged to support Democratic policies and to vote for Democratic candidates in local, state, or national elections. Prior to elections, candidate profiles, editorials, advertisements, and political cartoons were prominently featured.

Charles and Lloyd Hanshue bought the Sentinel building in 1963.

In January, 1965 the Old Sentinel building on North Court Street was a headache for owners Charles and Lloyd Hanshue since they bought it in 1963.  The Medina Building Inspector says the building must come down because it is unsafe and an eyesore. The Sentinel building has been unoccupied for 3 years except for storage of auto parts

Sentinel Building was demolished in 1965.

 

#109-111 North Court Street: Bronson Bldg.-1847, Hayslip Bldg.1878, Sentinel Bldg.-1883

Musser Clothing Emporium, Elias Musser, Prop. (#111), (1851-1855)

L. N. Sackett Photo Studio, L. N. Sackett, Prop. (#111), (1865-1869).

1.  Sackett turned out a large inked photograph of Capt. Hendrickson, USN in 1869.  

Mason Fine Art Photo Studio, Joshua Mason, Prop. (#111), (1869-1880)

Singer Manufacturing Company, (#111), (1875-1880)

1.  Singer sewing machines sold in Mason art gallery in 1880.

Wood Jewelry Store, Charles H. Wood, Prop. (#111), (1880-1884)

1.  Charles Wood was an engraving apprentice to A. I. Root.

2.  Sentinel building floor raised, woodwork painted and wallpapered by Edward Lowe in 1897.

Medina Telephone Company, (1898-1900)

1.  Location of first offices of Medina Telephone Company in 1898.

2.  The Sentinel building sustained minor damage as results of a fire in 1900.

Alvah Washburn Clocks and Watches, (#111), (1901-1909)

Funk Dry Cleaning, Slim Funk, Prop. (#111), (1910-1920)

Beedle and Edwards Electrical Store, Jay Beedle and Roy Edwards, Props. (#111), (1920-1921)

The Medina Sentinel Newspaper, (#111), (1921-1961)

1.  The Sentinel offices moved from the south door-way of the building, #109 to the north door-way of the building, #111 in 1921.

Handchey and Braden Barber Shop, Edward Handchey and Mr. Braden, Props. (#109), (1921-1930)

1.  Edward R. Handchey 22 years a Medina barber, here for 11 years, sold business in Sentinel block to Clifford Hunt in 1930.

Hunt Barbershop, Clifford Hunt, Prop. (#109), (1930-1933)

Fields Barber Shop, Shiloh Fields, Prop.  (#109), (1933–1952)

Fields was last proprietor in the Sentinel Building before the building was torn down.

Sentinel Offices expanded into #109 rooms, (1953-1961)

Charles and Lloyd Hanshue bought the Sentinel building in 1963.

1.  In January, 1965 the Old Sentinel building on North Court Street was a headache for owners Charles and Lloyd Hanshue since they bought it in 1963.  The Medina Building Inspector says the building must come down because it is unsafe and an eyesore. The Sentinel building has been unoccupied for 3 years except for storage of auto parts

Sentinel Building was demolished in 1965.

 

 

 

 

Davis Livery Stables, C. F. Davis, Prop. (1911–1913)

1.  Davis continues the blacksmith business in the C. M. Fenn barn on North Court Street in 1911.

2.  C. F. Davis bought the livery and feed business of Allen F. Hange which Hange bought from Charles M. Fenn and Davis took charge in 1911.

3.  C. F. Davis had an auction at his barn also known as the Charles M. Fenn barn in 1913.

Bart and Company Livery and Feed Stables, Charles M. Bart, Prop. (1913-1920)

The Old American House Hotel Livery and Stable at #110 North Court Street was torn down in 1921.

1.  Clement Company and Paul Anderson will build a Grocery store for Fred Albrecht Grocers of Akron on the Edwards-Law Lot just north of American House in 1922, 2 store rooms (1 to rent).

2.  Lot is only 45’ wide, so 5’ will be taken for a driveway and five feet of American House will be torn off for their half of the driveway.

Acme Food Store, W. E. Murphy, Manager, (1922-1923)

Acme Food Store, Lee Lind, Manager, (1923-1927)

Acme Food Store, Floyd Blair, Manager, (1927-1930)

Acme Food Store, C. K. J. Rylander, Manager, (1930-1939)

1.  A new meat market in Acme Store with Steve Veres as Manager in 1935.

2.  Lucille and Clare O. Davenport bought the brick business block owned and occupied by Acme, in 1939.                                                                       

3.  James B. Palmquist bought former Acme block from C. A. Davenport who had just bought it from the Albrecht’s in 1939.

Woodward’s IGA Market, Clifford Padgett, Prop. (1940–1941)

1.  The IGA Market in 1940 was where Acme was for 16 yrs.

2.  Clifford Padgett sold business to Vernon Horton in 1941, but bought it back 5 months later.

3.  Clifford Padgett sold the business to R. O. Bowman and will work for him in 1942.

Medina Fruit and Vegetable Market, Phillip Friedman, Prop. (1941-1945)

1.  Phil Friedman moved Medina Fruit Market from American House Annex to part of Woodward IGA in the former Acme building in 1941.

Boston Department Store Annex, Louis Jacobs, Prop. (1946–1954)                                                                           

1.  In 1953 The Savings Deposit Bank bought the Albrecht block from Marie Mayer widow of Frank Mayer former owners of Medina Bakery.

Savings Deposit Bank Auto-Drive Banking and Parking Lot, (1954–1981)

1.  The Albrecht Block was torn down to make way for the new Savings Deposit Bank Auto-Drive Banking and Parking Lot.

Ameritrust Bank, Auto-Drive Banking and Parking Lot, (1981–1992)

Society National Bank, Auto-Drive Banking and Parking Lot, (1993-1996)

Key Bank of Medina, Auto-Drive Banking and Parking Lot, (1997–2010)

Cool Beans Restaurant Drive thru (2010-2015)

Bi-Centennial Commons, (2015–2016)

 

#115 North Court Street: Hayes Bldg.-1868

Hayes Blacksmith Shop, George W. Hayes, Prop. (1868–1872)

Hayes and Son Blacksmith Shop, George W. and W. Scott Hayes, Props. (1872–1873)

1.  There are two hands employed horse shoeing, ironing and general repairing.

Hays Blacksmith Shop, W. Scott Hayes, Prop. (1873–1874)

Huddleston Blacksmith Shop, Thomas Huddleston, Prop. (1897-1916)

Firm Harding bought the Scott Hayes property for $725 in 1901.

Borger Auto Livery, H. E. Borger, Prop. (1917-1920)

Crites Dry Cleaner, C. R. Crites, Prop. (1920-1921) 

Forrest W. McDowell Photographer, Forest W. McDowell, Prop. (1912–1920)

1.  Forrest W. McDowell has built an up-to-date photo gallery on the Sentinel lot in 1912.

Crites Dry Cleaner, C. R. Crites, Prop. (1920-1921) 

Children’s Apparel Shoppe, Florence Crites, Prop. (1921-1922)

McIntosh Dry Cleaners, W. A. McIntosh, Prop. (1922-1924)

1.  McIntosh cleans, block hats and dye children’s clothing. 

Medina Novelty Shop, L. A. Hammer, Prop. (1924-1927)

1.  Sells beads, gifts and Apache beadwork done on looms in 1924.

Pilgrim Dry Cleaners, John P. Shupe, Prop. (1924-1927)

1.  Shupe sold to J. B. Ewing furniture repair shop and upholster in rear in 1927.

Ideal Repair Shop, Andy W. Seitz, Prop. In rear, (1925-1927)

Kovach Shoe Shine and Repair Shop, Steve Kovach, Prop. In rear, (1927-1928)

1.  Steve Kovach moved his shoe repair to the Steingass and Bradway building in 1928.

Brenner Dairy Lunch Room, Tommy Brenner, Prop. (1927-1929) 

Ewing Furniture Repair and Upholstering Shop, J. B. Ewing, Prop.Iin rear,  (1927-1929)

Building torn down and moved in 1929.

1.  J. B. Ewing tore down the 1 story building in 1929 and moved it to his Lafayette Center home for a furniture business 1929.

 

#119 North Court Street: Schafer Bldg.-1889, Hanshue Bldg.-1916

Rounds and Foskett Blacksmith Shop, (1875-1888)

Schafer Blacksmith Shop, Hugh Schafer, Prop. (1889-1905)

1.  Juliett and F. L. Harding sold lot 144 to John T. Graves for $600 in 1901.

Schmittel Barbershop, John Schmittel, Prop. (1906-1915)

1.  Judge John T. Graves sold the blacksmith shop and lot #144 to John V. Schmittel for $1000 in 1906.

2.  John V. Schmittel married Queenie Hillsdale an artiste in the King Karlo Wonder Fair in 1909.

3.  Jerry Snell bought the Schmittel barbershop and his house next door in 1915. 

4.  E. A. Brown has acquired the Schmittel lot and building and will demolish the building

Hanshue Auto Company, Charles Hanshue, Prop. (1916–1941)

 

1.  Charlie Hanshue worked at E.B. Stearnes-Knight from 1910 to 1914 making automobiles and then sold Willys-Knight Overland cars in 1916,

2.  E. A. Brown builds a fireproof modern garage 50’ x 100’ for Hanshue Auto Company in 1915.

3.  Hanshue garage floor was built in 1916 out of street pavers and limestone mortar for $10,000. The 2” limestone mortar floor took the car weight better than 9” of concrete today.

Hanswhue Fair Auto.jpg

Eades Medina Vulcanizing, George Eades, Prop. (1922-1924)

1.  George Eades Vulcanizing that repairs Fisk, Firestone, Sterling and Portage tires moved to Hanshue garage in 1922,

Hanshue Brothers Garage, Charles Hanshue and Richard Wildman, Props. (1925-1928)

1.  Charles Hanshue new proprietor of old Eades tire service at Hanshue garage with Richard Wildman in 1925.

 Hanshue Auto Company, Charles Hanshue, Prop. (1928-1930)

1.  Charles Hanshue’s brother Steve sold the Hanshue operation to Walter Ulmer when Charles was ill and Charlie had to pay rent on the building until 1930.

2.  Hanshue moved his business to the site of Knights of Pythias in 1930, and then back to original site at #119 North Court Street in 1945. Charles had to pay more than twice to re-purchase what it cost him to build in 1916.

3.  In 1939 Charles Hanshue Auto Company is listed by the NADA Bulletin, official publication of the National Automobile Dealers Association, as one of the oldest automobile dealers in the country

Maxwell Implement Company, M. G. Maxwell, Prop. (1931-1931)

1.  M. G. Maxwell a Ford dealer leased the Ulmer Block to sell International Harvesters in 1931, but closed months later in 1931.

Medina Oil Company Service Station, Fred Bohley and Howard Gross, Props. (1931-1932)

1.  Medina Oil Company rented the Ulmer Block on North Court Street in 1931 with Jack Wyman as new manager of the Standard Oil Service Station in 1931.

Failor and Hadlock Sinclair Service Station, Failor and Earl Hadlock, Props. (1932-1937)

1.  The Storage, washing and gas station started last month in Ulmer Building by Medina Oil Company was taken over by Carl Failor and Earl C. Hadlock who will operate a battery and electrical repair service in adjoining building from 1932 to 1934.

2.  Ralph Bott is sales manager and Richard Gordon service manager at Hi Speed Gas Station 1935 to 1937.

3 Frank Feckley has a used car lot at Failor and Hadlock lot on North Court Street in 1935-1937.

Medina Welding and Radiator Repair, Richard Gordon and Ralph Bott, Props. (1937-1938)

Medina Auto Sales Company, Ralph F. Bott and B. E. Kucinski, Props. (1937-1940)

1.  Automobile dealers of Desoto and Plymouth Cars.

Medina Auto Sales Company, Bob Leidorf and Dick Gordon Props. (1941–1942)

1.  Automobile dealers of Desoto and Plymouth Cars.

Gordon Desoto and Plymouth Auto Company, Richard Gordon, Prop. (1942–1943)

Hanshue Auto Company, Charles and Lloyd Hanshue, Prop. (1944–1959)

1.  Willys-Jeep sales and service at Hanshue Auto Company in 1949.

 

Hanshue Rambler Auto Company, Lloyd Hanshue, Prop. (1959-1977)

Charles, age 90 years (seated) and son, Lloyd Hanshue in 1978

Vacant, Hanshue building renovated and remodeled at a cost of $150,000 for Lance Insurance Offices in (1978-1979)

Lance and Company, Fred Greenwood, Principal, (1980–1987)

Lance and Company, Inc., Lloyd A. Vaughn, John C. Graff, and Don Fuller, Principals, ( 1988-2002)

Lance and Company Insurance Agency, LLC, DBA Wichert Insurance Company, Thomas Wichert, Jay Hutchinson, Dale Dixon, Kathleen Thuener, Principals, (2002-2017)

 

#125 North Court Street: Hallock Bldg.-1925

1.  Jerry Snell bought the John Schmittel barbershop and his house next door in 1915.

Snell Barber Shop, Jericho Snell, Prop. (1915-1919)

1.  Estella (Stella) and Jericho ‘Jerry’ Snell moved into the Schmittel house in 1916 and Jerry died in 1919.

Handchey Barbershop, Edward Handchey, Prop. (1920-1921)

1.  Jerry Snell barbershop leased to E. R. Handchey in 1920.

2.  Edward Handchey moved his barber business to the Sentinel Building in 1921.

3.  M. O. Hallock bought the property on Bishop Court from the Bishop estate including 3 houses and will move the old John V. Schmittel/Jerry Snell house on North Court Street back to Bishop Court, thus making the 125 North Court Street location available for a business building in 1923.

Hallock Music Store, M. O. Hallock, Prop. 2nd Floor, (1925 –1929)

1.  Macy O. Hallock music and stove business moved into 2nd floor of his new block in 1925.

Kroger’s Food Store, (1925-1929)

1.  Kroger will occupy 1st floor and 2 rooms facing Bishop Court will be rented in 1925.

2.  Kroger Food Store moved to #17 Public Square in 1929.

Hallock Music Store, M. O. Hallock, Prop. (1930-1939)

1.  Hallock Music Store moved to the 1st floor from 2nd floor after Kroger moved out in 1929.

Chatterbox Inn, James Zeig, Prop. (1940-1945)

1.  James Zeig opened a café in the M. O. Hallock building in 1940.

Chatterbox Inn, Phillip Scherer, Prop. (1946–1984)

1.  Phil Scherer was better known for his sponsored, outstanding AA softball teams. One year the team won 32 games and only lost one, a forfeited scheduled game, because they had already played 3 games on that Sunday.

Steve Helli, Dayton Dull, Herb Stone, Earl Fiest, Phil Scherer Jr., Bud Sprankle, Phil Scherer

Loren Taylor, Stubby Neptune, Pete Miller, Jerry Jameyson, Lenny Kovic, Bob Cole

Harold “Sparky” Clark, Leo Gorfido, Angie Gorfido: Chatterbox 1946 Team

Inn on Court, (1985-1987)

Vacant, (1987-1988)

Panche Interiors, (1989-1992)

North Court Antiques, (1993-1993)

Vacant, (1994-1994)

Millers Carpet and Vinyl, (1995-1997)

Eagle Records, Inc, (1998-1998) 

Macy M. Hallock, (1999-2002)

Vacant, (2003-2003)

Gotta Dance , (2004-2004)

Vacant, (2005-2013)

Medina Centre for Dance Art, Kelly Parks, Prop. (2014-2016)

1.  The Medina Centre for Dance Art was started in 2002 on the coattails of a life-long dream to bring professional dance to a neighborhood studio. Kelly Parks, owner and director of MCDA , is celebrating 31 years of teaching dance.

                                                  

 

300..JPG

 

#133 North Court Street: Waite Bldg.-1925

  Waite and Son Funeral Home Herbert A. Waite and Harold E. Waite, Props., (1927-1960)

1.  Herbert and Pearl Waite purchased the property from the Abner Bishop Estate in 1925.

Franklin Life Insurance, (1961-1963)

Crum and Chester Insurance Agency, (1963-1977)

City Title Company, (1966-1969)

Medina County Democratic Headquarters, (1969-1974)

Kincade Income Tax Service, F. Kincade, Prop., (1970-1975)

Jack Chester, Inc. (1976-2003)

Crum/ Davis/ Evans Insurance Agency, (1978-1988)

Aerobic Dancing, Inc. (1982-1984)

  Medina Account Collections, Inc, (1982-1984)

Hetrick, Gary, CPA, (1982-2006)

Chemical Dependency Consultants, Inc. (1985-1988)

  Community Health Computing, (1985-1988)

Osborne, Winters and Lally, Inc., (1985-1992)

Carl G. Hiteman, Attorney, (1985-1995)

Sunset Strip, Tom Shelly, Prop. (1987-1988)

CDE Insurance Services Agency, (1988-2006)

Mast Thomas K., Attorney, (1991-1992)

Chicago Blowers Sales, (1991-1992)

Herbert Products, (1991-1993)

Sweet and Associates, (1992-1992)

Focus Counseling SV, (1992-1993)

Prudential Insurance Company, (1993-1993)

Julian, C. M. Attorney, (1995-1995)

Clifford Properties, (1995-1997)

Ratajczak, Michael Attorney, (1995-2005)

Mivel Corp, (1996-1997)

Medina Appraisal Company, (1996-2003)

Heartland Community Church, (1998-2011)

State Professional Service, (2000-2001)

Medina Vinyl Products, (2003-2003)

Wexford Financial Services Ltd, (2004-2006)

Kennah Homes, Inc, (2005-2005)

ASAP Homecare and Home Nurses, (2010-2012)

AIKO Institute LLC, (2012-2013)   

Hetrick, Gary, CPA, (2014-2016)                         

#133.5 North Court Street: Waite Bldg.-1900 3rd Floor

Welliver, J. H, (1961-1963)         

Stewart, Marion A, (1964-1966)

Snyder Hubert D, (1966-1975)   

 

#139 North Court Street: Witter House,-1887, Free Oil Bldg.-1921

William Witter Residence, (1887-1916)

Cleveland and Southwestern Electric Station, Fred Eckert, Manager, (1914-1925)

1.  The C&SW Interurban freight and passenger depot built and painted dark green by George Santee in 1917.

2.  In 1916, The Cleveland and Southwestern and Columbus railway is showing a good increase these days in gross earnings and practically no increase in expenses, so that the net earnings showed an increase.

3.  For the first three months of 1916, the gross revenue was $313,029 an increase of $30,164.  The operating expenses were $174,223,, decrease of $1,422, while net income was $29,836.

4.   The C&SW depot added restrooms for women and children in 1917.

Cleveland and Southwestern Electric Station, Roy Gardner, Manager, (1925-1931)

1.  C&SW Interurban Station completely renovated and redecorated in 1927 to accommodate office and store of Western Reserve Power and Light, operated by the C&SW.. 

A 1928 Blueprint of the C&SW “Y” Terminal at 139 North Court Street.

2.   The popularity of the electric Interurban lasted only about thirty years.  Finally in 1931 the Cleveland Southwestern Electric Interurban ceased to run its cars through Medina. 

3.  Free Oil Company adjacent to the old interurban station on North Court Street sells the property in 1935 to construct office and storage space in 1935. 

Free Oil Company, George Mellert, Prop. (1921–1945)

1.  The Free Oil Company was established on North Elmwood Street in 1920.

2.  The Free Oil Company on North Elmwood Street adjacent to the old interurban station on North Court Street sells the property in 1935.  Company will move other part back on property and excavate for a new 32’ x 110’ fireproof, brick office and storage space in 1935. 

145 North Court Street.jpg

Free Oil Company, Ray Mellert, Prop. (1946–1985)

Free Oil Hi Test Gas Station, (1921-1947)

1.  Free Oil Gas Station on the corner of North Court Street and West Friendship Street replaced with Eddie’s Shell Service.  See #145 North Court Street.

Towne Square Auto Repair, (1985-1994)

Vacant, (1995-1996)

Doors and More, (1997–2011)

Potter Overhead Door Inc., (2011-2016)

Buildings raised for new hotel building in September, 2016

 

#145 North Court Street:  Free Oil Bldgs.-1921

Free Oil Hi Test Gas Station, (1921-1947)

1.  Free Oil Gas Station on the corner of North Court Street and West Friendship Street replaced with Eddie’s Shell Service.  See #139 North Court Street.

Eddie’s Shell Service, (1948-1955)

Shaw’s Shell Service, (1956-1971)

Phil’s North Court Amoco Service Station, (1971-1976)

North Court Amoco Gas Station, Len Chidsey, Prop. (145) (1977–1985)

Gas to Go Service Station, (1985-1988)

North Court Mobile Station, (1988-1990)

North Court UNCL 76, (1991-1994)

Vacant, (1995-1995) 

Medina Area Chamber of Commerce, (1996-2016)

Buildings raised for new hotel building in September, 2016