South Court Street/West
#201 South Court Street: Castle Block-1849, Miller-Chamberlin Block-1870, Miller Block-1871, Neel Block-1916, Lose Block-1938
First Building rebuilt after the Village 1870 fire.
King and Gunn were merchants at the SW corner Washington and Court, (1833-1843)
1. Castle and King at old Henry King and Gunn stand after 1848 fire.
Charles Castle and Henry King had a warehouse at rear where they packed pork in fall and winter and wool at spring shearing time. (1843-1848)
1. Spareribs were not packed but amounted to waste and were given away. Liver and suet were given away with 25 cents worth of steak.
2. Farmers would bring wagonloads of dressed hogs and sell them to merchants who cut them up into barrels to send east. Up to 12 wagons would be lined up.
3. Woolsacks 10’ long were shipped east via Lake Erie. A man would throw in fleeces and a boy would get inside the sack and stamp them down.
4. Castle and King at old Henry King and Gunn stand after 1848 fire.
Bissell Book Store. D. J. Bissell, Prop. (1843-1848)
1. Mr. Bissell occupied 1st floor of brick block with a bookstore and the rest of corner block was a residence in 1843.
2. Mr. Bissell moved his book store to #108 West Washington Street in 1849.
Castle Dry Goods Store, Charles Castle, Prop. (1848-1848)
1. In the southwest room of the 2nd story was a rag bin with 1000 pounds stored there, was blamed for the 1848 Village fire, but the fire didn’t start there as the pick-up had just been made..
2. In 1849 Judge Charles Castle had a 3 story, brick and block building built by Rounds Brothers after the 1848 Village fire.
Tousley Marble Dealer, H. G. Tousley, Prop. (1851-1854)
Warner Dry Goods, Groceries, Hardware and China, Carlos J. Warner, Prop. (1854-1860)
1. G. A. L. Boult was a Clerk for C. J. Warner in 1860.
Glass and Hats Store, George A. L. Boult, Clerk, (1859-1870)
1. In the 1870’s Pat Feeny stood on the Miller Block corner shouting “”fine day” no matter what the weather.
Miller Dry Goods Store, John. P. Miller, Prop. (1867-1870)
1. 1867 - Mr. J. P. Miller has just returned from New York and is daily receiving and opening a large stock of Dry goods, ready-made clothing, hats, caps, furs and crockery.
2. J. P. Miller Store 1867-1870, then bankrupt in 1871.
High and Goodwin Grocery and Provision Store, Isaac High and Hiram Goodwin, Props. (1867–1870)
1. All of the grocery stock of High and Goodwin was lost in the village fire of 1870.
Miller Dry Goods and Fancy Goods and Millinery, John P. Miller, Prop. (1872-1905)
Miller Dry Goods Coal, Phosphates Store, John. P. Miller, Prop. (1880-1899)
Neel’s General Store, Mary Neel, Prop. (1899-1906)
Abrams Clothing and Shoe Store, Louis Abraham, Prop. (1906-1915)
1. Louis Abraham rented south half of Miller Block in 1907.
2. Louis Abraham Store had smoke damage from Cannon Grocery Store fire in 1910.
3. 1st floor rented to Abrams Clothier in 1910. Louis Abrams has a red canvas sign in 1911.
4. Addition to rear of Miller block, 12’ frontage on West Washington Street, 25’ deep, concrete with brick front, store room. 1st floor connected to store room on east, 2 living rooms on 2nd floor and concrete floor in Miller Block cellar. (1911)
5. Mrs. Mary Neel Milliner acquired the Block originally owned by her dad J. P. Miller since 1871. (1911)
6. Mary Neel painted her block white with red striping and our thanks for painting out of existence the advertisements that have marred the Miller corner walls. Mrs. Neel graded and concreted the Miller corner and seeds it for a lawn in 1911. In 1912 she was planted the curb lawn with flowers. (1911-1912)
Sam Grundstein Fruit Stand on Miller corner, (1911-1915)
Jerusalem-Gettysburg Fruit Stand, Alex and Louis Weisberger, Props. (1915-1917)
1. Fruit stand on the street in front of Miller block 1915. Louis Abraham sued Louis Weisberger for public annoyance and blocking sidewalk. Store owner Mary A. Neel signs a bail bond and Weisberg finally took out a selling license in 1915.
2. J. P. Miller Block name changed to Neal Block (1916)
3. Mary Neel painted her block white with red striping and our thanks for painting out of existence the advertisements that have marred the Miller corner walls. Mrs. Neel graded and concreted the Miller corner and sees it for a lawn 1911. In 1912 she was planted the curb lawn with flowers. (1911-1912)
4. Reuben J. Hyde, Medina County Treasurer with two Medina proprietors on South Court Street in 1914.
Medina Bargain Store, Reuben J. Hyde, Prop. (1916-1917)
1. Store room in Miller Block remodeled, re-floored, with better lighting, re-shelved and a new plate glass front window for leasing store to Fisher and Hyde Shoes.
2. Ex-County Treasurer R. J. Hyde has bought a half interest in the boot and shoe business of L. O. Fisher, and has assumed partial management of the new firm's business. Whether it will be Fisher and Hyde or Hyde and Fisher is not announced, but it is safe to say that there will be no "hyding" the fact that there will be plenty of "Fishing" for a fair share of the boot and shoe trade by the new firm.
Hyde and Garver Shoe Store, Reuben J. Hyde, Louis F. Garver, Prop. (1917-1921)
1. In December of 1917, Reuben J. Hyde bought the interest of Mr. Fisher and formed a partnership with Louis F. Garver, his best friend, who formerly was employed at the Medina County Gazette. The new company was named "Hyde-Garver Shoe Store" and moved to the Miller Block on the Square, located on the southwest corner of East Washington and South Court Streets.
1. Reuben J. Hyde, partner in Hyde and Garver Shoe Store in doorway of store at 201 South Court Street.
Garver and Son Shoe Store, Louis F. Garver and Marion Garver (Son), (1921-1926)
1. In February, 1921 the successful five year partnership was dissolved when Reuben J. Hyde sought to pursue other interests. L. F. Garver bought Reuben's interests and renamed the company L. F. Garver and Son (Marion) Shoe Store. This father-son shoe business in Medina would continue until August 31, 1926, when it was purchased by W. H. Newcomer of Mansfield, Ohio.
Newcomer Shoe Store, William H. Newcomer, Prop. (1926-1933)
1. Mr. Newcomer, a store owner in Mansfield, Ohio moved to Medina and purchased the Garver business in 1926.
B. & L. 5c to $1 Store, Web Lose and R. W. Buck, Prop. (1934-1954)
1. B&L was opened by Lose in 1931 and was located in Barnard Bldg. from 1931-1933, then moved here.
2. Mary A. and J. L. Neel sold lot 33 to W.D. Lose and R.W. Buck for a B&L 5 cents to $1 store on the ground floor in 1938. The Neel and J. P. Miller family building had been owned for the past 67 years.
3. B&L remodeled basement for more floor space 1938.
Busy Bee Shoe Repair, Jim Aronica, Rear at 102 Washington Street, (1937-1948)
Handy Variety Store. Jim Aronica, Prop. (1954-1963)
1. Web D. Lose sold B&L 5 cents to $1 store to Jim Aronica proprietor of Busy Bee Shoe Store since 1943.
2. Jim Aronica will operate both businesses in 1954.
Rice’s Frock and Tot Shop, (1963-1973)
Medina County Travel Service, Inc, (1974-1986)
RPM Travel Service, (1986-1988)
Piccolo People, (1989-1998)
Creative Classics, (1999-2003)
Serendipity Boutique, (2004-2007)
Tandem Trolley, Ruth Nitz, (2008-2012)
Lemonberry Yogert, Bechke family, Props. (2012-2016)
1. We take pride in providing premium yogurts and toppings that help individuals make better choices about living a nutritious and healthy lifestyle. We understand everyone does not have the same dietary needs, taste buds or appetite, so in our stores, the customers are in control of making their own creations. Customers select from a variety of weekly rotating yogurt flavors and then top it with goodies from our election of over 75 toppings including fresh fruits, nuts, cereals, chocolates and other treats.
#203 South Court Street: Castle Block-1860, Miller-Chamberlin Block-1870, Miller Block-1871, Neel Block-1916, Lose Block-1938, 2nd Floor
First Building rebuilt after the 1970 fire.
J. L. Firestone, MD, Physician and Surgeon (1860-1965)
Drs. Henry Spellman and J. C. Bradford, Physicians, (1853-1863)
Blackford Millinery Goods, Mrs. T. A. Blackford, Prop. (1858-1865)
Dr. G. W. Dunn, Surgeon and Dentist, (1865-1867)
1. Dr. Dunn sold his practice to Dr. G. D. Billings in 1867.
Dr. G. D. Billings, Surgeon and Dentist, (1867-1870)
1. He then came to Medina and bought the business of Dr. G. W. Dunn, dentist, and has followed the profession since. Oct. 3, 1867.
2. During the great fire with Medina in 1870, the Doctor's office and household goods were destroyed, and he had his hands seriously burned while he was trying to save his property, and only escaped himself by dropping from a window of the burning building
Snell Millinery Store, Mrs. Snell, Prop. (1867-1870)
Medina County Gazette, 3nd Floor, John Weeks, Prop. (1854-1870)
1. 1856 Gazette Office in 3 story Castle Block brick building John Weeks, Proprietor and Gazette Editor Charles Castle in 1858.
Kirkland and Redway Job Printers, (1854-1870)
1. Successor firm to John Speer at the Gazette Office in 1854.
Medina County Gazette, 2nd Floor, J. H. Greene, Editor, (1870-1877)
1. Gazette Offices 2nd Floor in Miller Building, J. H. Greene and H. W. Clark Publishers. Established 1835, circulation 2000.
Mrs. H. M. Butler, Agent for sewing machines, (1869-1870)
Young Men’s Christian Association, (1870-1870)
LS & TV Railway Office, (1872-1875)
Madams’ Handy and Green Dressmakers, (1873-1877)
Mrs. A. A. Root Millinery Store (1877-1878)
1. A new dress-making establishment is in Medina over the Miller store. Mrs. A. A. Root desires to inform the ladies of Medina and vicinity that she is prepared to do all kinds of dress-making in the latest and most approved style, and will endeavor to please all who may favor her with their patronage.
Dr. L. S. Murray, Physician and Surgeon (1886-1906)
1. L. S. Murray, MD moved his residence from Brainard upstairs and lives in room behind office in 1906.
John T. Graves, Attorney, (1894-1899)
Roshon Brothers Coal and Wood Business Office, (1899-1903)
Mary Neel Milliner Store, (J. P. Miller’s daughter), (1909-1927)
Laura Lee Beauty Shop, Marie Hanshue, Prop. (1928-1933)
Laura Lee Millinery Shop, Marie Hanshue, Prop. (1932-1940)
1. Freda Snyder sold her millinery business to Mrs. Stephen Hanshue and daughter, Mrs. Max Sargent.
R. B. Bennett, Attorney, (1937-1948)
John A. Weber, Attorney, (1939-1943)
Uncle Abe Bridge School of Music, Abe Bridge, Prop. (1947-1948)
1. Radio personality Uncle Abe Bridge School of music opened, both straight and electric Hawaiian guitar, lesson including guitar, 1 hour for $1.50 Joe Yeager Industrial Design Studio, (1947-1948)
Frances and Joseph A, Rumph, (1948-1952)
Ralph B. Bennett, Attorney and H. D. Dannely, Attorney, (1948-1960)
Medina Watch Repair, (1952-1956)
Foskett Fashion Studio, tailor, dressmaker, Mary Lou Foskett, Prop. (1948-1952)
T.J. Paisley Company Offices, Tom Paisley, Owner, (1952-1956)
Medina County Prosecuting Attorney, (1956-1959)
American Red Cross, (1956-1959)
Yeager’s Pure Oil, Harold and Bob Yeager, Props. (1959-1963)
Dennis Dannley, Attorney, (1960-1963)
Clark Houseware Sales, (1960-1962)
Retail Credit Company, (1960-1963)
Storage Rooms, (1963-1966)
Irvin Strong, Attorney, (1966-1969)
Jeffrey J. Brausch (1974-1981)
Woodmen Accident and Life Company, (1976-1981)
Western Union, (1981-1981)
Jeffery J. Bausch and Company, (1981-2014)
#207 South Court Street: McDowell Block-1848, Central Block–1873
Constructed by Chamberlin and Johnson to accommodate two store fronts 18’ x 57’ in size from 1873 to 1936, with full sized fruit cellar flagged with Berea stone and designed for spring butter.
Iron columns and iron balusters on Walker’s building from Cleveland City Iron Works of Hitchcock and Company.
Loring and Manville Hats and Caps, C. Loring and J. Manville, Props. (1841-1849)
Willard and Rensimer Hat and Cap Store, Thomas E. Willard and Mr. Rensimer, Props. (1849-1853)
Hobart Wholesale and Retail Groceries and Hardware Store, George W. Hobart, Prop. (1854-1858)
Willard Hat and Cap Store, Thomas E. Willard, Prop. (1854-1862)
Stebbins Clothing Store and Merchant Tailor, J. R. Stebbins, Prop. (1863-1870)
1. If you wish a good pair of boots or shoes, call on William or H. G. Sipher, who will warrant a fit every time or no sale.
2. J. R. Stebbins closed his business at this location just 2 days prior to the fire on April 14, 1870.
Chamberlin Cheese, Butter and Egg Dealer. (Basement), (1873–1875)
H. J. Walker Dry Goods and Clothing Store, (Basement), (1873- 1877)
National Dining Hall, William M. Babcock, Prop. (1873–1874)
Ruggles and Baldwin Hardware Store. A. T. Baldwin and A. D. Ruggles, Props. (1873–1875)
Chavis Barber Shop, Frank Charis, Prop. (1874–1875)
1. Chavis moved into the 1st floor room vacated by National Dinning Hall.
2. Frank Chavis and wife were also artists.
3. Frank moved to Albro Block basement into a new shop with John Berry in 1875.
Hayslip Grocer Store, Samuel W. and William H. Hayslip, Props. (1875-1877)
Hill and Miller Grocery and Hardware Store, Elizur Hill and John P. Miller, Props. (1877-1878)
1. Mr. High sold his interest to his father-in-law Miller, and the business partnership became Hills and Miller
Dannley Grocery and Provision Store, J. D. Dannley, Prop. (1879-1886)
1. Before entering the retail business, Mr. Dannley has been engaged in the employ of the Root establishment and the B. H. Wood Company for the last 20 years in the capacity of machinist.
Bostwick News Dealers and Notions Store, H. J. Bostwick, Prop. (1886-1887)
Cannon Grocery Store, Corm M. Cannon, Prop. (1886-1897)
1. Corm Cannon left the business in 1897 to open a general store in Blake, Ohio.
Cannon Grocery Store, Charles and Emma Cannon, Prop. (1898–1926)
1. Cannon store fire caused a loss of all stock and fittings in the amount of $2000 in 1910.
2. Son, Charles took over the grocery business of his father.
3. Cannon Grocery Store moved to 221 South Court Street when Charles Cannon bought the Sipher grocery business in 1926.
Gooden Barbershop, Charley “Shorty” Gooden, Prop. (1897–1927)
1. Gooden sold cigars and chewing tobacco and 15 cent baths in back room in 1920 to 1923.
2. Open 7:30 am – 8:00 pm, and until 11:00 pm on Saturday so that shopkeepers could come in for weekly haircut and bath after closing their stores.
3. The Shop had gas lamps and walls were lined with ads that paid the rent. Shaves were $1.50.
Gooden Barbershop, Charles Heiges, Prop. (1927- 1943)
1. Glen Rohrbaugh and Fred Schindelholz were barbers from 1924 until they opened their own shop at 107 West Liberty Street in 1941.
United States Post Office, (1927- 1938)
1. Post Office moved to McDowell Block just below corner of West Washington and South Court in 1927.
2. Post Office remodeled and added 12’ to original length, with modern heat and lighting.
Western Auto Store, Tom Goulding, Prop. (1936–1974)
1. Tom W. Goulding purchased the McDowell property including the lot and business block and an adjoining lot and frame building occupied by Gooden’s Barbershop facing West Washington Street.
Little General Store, Ty Parker, Prop. (1974-1975)
Sound and the Power, Inc. (1978-1981)
Montgomery Ward Catalog Sales, (1982-1984)
Personal Expressions (1985-1990)
Count on It (1985-1990)
Interior Design Studio and JK Gift Shop, Julie Douglas McNabb, Prop. (2006-2016)
1. Previous store location was at 47 South Side Public Square.
2. JK Gift Shop has a range of pieces described by McNabb as “gifts you want to give and gifts you’d love to receive”.
#205 South Court Street: McDowell Block-1848, Central Block–1873, 2nd Floor
Dr. P. J. Montgomery, Homeopathic Physician and Surgeon, (1867-1870)
Medina County Gazette Compositing Press Room, (1873-1875)
Library Reading Room, (1875-1877)
William Babcock residence, (1875-1877)
Medina County Gazette, 2nd Floor, J. H. Greene, Editor, (1877-1886)
1. 1877-The old Gazette office proving altogether too small for the convenient transaction of our business, we have secured the large and commodious rooms south of our former office and occupied heretofore by C. B. Chamberlin, where we shall hereafter be found. We shall now have plenty of room to stretch our limbs and breathe easily, and when we get to it, hope to have them fixed up very comfortably. Our friends are invited to call in and see us in our new sanctum.
Miller Hair and Scalp Parlor, Addie S. Miller, Prop. (1903-1919)
1. Addie S. Miller’s human hair goods: pompadours, switches, puff clusters and massage. Flora M. Fortson joins Addie S. Miller. We do water waving, marveling, Violet Ray, scalp treatments in our own workrooms and can match any color scalp.
Sylvester Bartholomew, Basket-maker and residence, (1911-1917)
1. He worked for A. I. Root; blind from 1907 and lower limbs paralyzed in 1910, died in 1917.
Fannie and William Addison Stevens residence, (1923-1925)
G. M. Wait Insurance and Real Estate, G. M Wait, Prop. (1925-1933)
1. Wait organized new art club in 1925.
James Palmquist in with Attorney Frank Woods, (1920-1925)
Glenn C. Colburn Insurance Agency, (1938-1940).
Land Title and Guarantee and Trust, P. C. Davis, Manager, (1939-1952)
1. Business moved to 79 South Broadway Street in 1952.
Medina Paint and Wallpaper Store, Mrs. C. W. Reinhold, Prop. (1942–1943)
1. Mrs. C.W. Reinhold lives in Grafton, OH, but operates the store daily.
John H. Ziegler, Accountant, CPA, (1946-1948)
YMCA, C. R. Simon, Secretary, (1948-1950)
Medina County Credit Bureau, Joe Witenhafer, Owner, (1948-1956)
Moucha Insurance Agency, (1978-1981)
Music Makers, (1978-1981)
The Sunshine Insurance Agency, (1978-1981)
Scanlon Sales Company, (1978-1981)
Singleton and Associates, (1978-1981)
Medina Reading Clinic, (1981-1981)
Medina City Employment and Training, (1981-1981)
Washington Court Properties, (1981-1982)
Living Power Ministries, (1981-1982)
Medina School of Music, (1985-1988)
No Listing, (1991-2015)
#213 South Court Street: Prentice Block-1849, H. J. Walter Block–1872
Originally home to three stores, including a shoe shop below and six offices above. Iron columns and iron balusters on Walker’s building from Cleveland City Iron Works of Hitchcock and Company.
Prentice and Rice Boots and Shoe Store, Barney Prentice and Mr. Rice, Prop. (1849-1854)
1. B. Prentice relocate at #213 South Court Street after the fire of 1948.
Tousley Marble Shop, H. G. Tousley, Prop. (1854-1871)
1. Where a customer will find the largest and most desirable stock of American and Italian marble.
Pomroy and Livingston Dry Goods Store, O. H. Pomroy and A. H. Livingston, Props. (1872-1874)
1. Grand Closing Sale in April 1874 due to the need to vacate their store.
Lord Boots and Shoe Store, J. F. Lord, Prop. (1874 -1875)
1. William H. Hayslip left Lord Shoe Store in 1875.
2. Grand Closing Sale in April 1874 due to the need to vacate their store.
Johnson Grocery Store, T. J. Johnson, Prop. (1875-1876).
Munn Grocery and Provisions Store, E. D. Munn, Prop. (1876-1889)
1. Mr. Munn moved from the Union Block after selling his business to G. W. Hobart and purchased the grocery business of Mr. Johnson in 1876.
Chipps Grocery Store, G. H. Chipps, Prop. (1890-1893)
Brenner Saddle and Harness Maker, Ephraim and George Brenner, Props. (1893–1916)
American Railway Express, (1917-1922)
Wright Book and Printing Company, M. T. Wright, Prop. (1921-1923)
1. M. T. Wright moved his book and stationary business to #221 South Court Street in 1923, when W. G. Steele purchased Wright’s printing office and equipment and moved it to Pennsylvania.
Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company Grocery Store, (1923-1934)
Pritchard Auto Supply, (1934-1935)
Kalamazoo Stove Company, (1935-1941)
Medina Nut Shop Dining Room, L. K. Evans, Prop. (1942–1945)
1. 2nd floor in former YMCA rooms in 1945.
2. Nut shops, lunch room, dining room open 7 am to midnight in 1945.
Nibble Nook Store, Eddy Paul, Prop. (1946–1951)
Moore’s Associate Store, Ralph Herthneck, Manager, (1952-1955)
Gilbert’s Market, Louis Gilbert, Prop. (1955-1958)
1. Louis Gilbert purchased George Lenaburg’s half-interest in Gilbert’s Market in 1955.
Campbell’s Market (1959-1962)
Plaugher Photo Studio, Max Plaugher, Prop. (1965-1969)
Little General Hallmark Gallery, Ty Parker, Prop. (1970-1973)
The Bike Shop, (1974-1976)
The Town Shop, (1977-1978)
Ticket Master, Round Records of Medina (1979-1992)
Flight Planners, Travel Service, (1994-2007)
Sports World, Ameena Hoshaw, Prop. (2009-2016)
1. Sportsworld Custom Imprinted Apparel was established in 1997. We have many years of experience in the screen printing and embroidery industry.
2. Sports World moved here from #108 West Washington Street in 2009.
#213.5 South Court Street: Prentice Block-1849, H. J. Walter Block–1872, 2nd Floor
2nd floor of front office 20x24’ Vacant, (1875)
Isaac and Jane High residence (1916-1920)
Veterans of Foreign War, (1948-1952)
Municipal Court, Judge Elizabeth Winter, (1958-1965)
Thomas D. Webb, (1974-1978)
Robert J. Brown, (1981-1981)
Mack R Gilbert, (1981-1981)
Dennis E Paul, (1981-1982)
Bruce E Hall, (1981-1982)
Stephen J. Brown, Attorney, (1981-1993)
Bruce D. Parish, Attorney, (1981-2013)
Christopher Brown Attorney, (1985-1993)
Investors Asset Management, (1988-1992)
Titan Capital Corp, (1988-1992)
Mediation Services of Medina, (1994-2004)
Zachman, Janis and Hutchins, Attorneys, (1997-1998)
David L. McCartor, Attorney, (2001-2002)
Dennis E. Paul, Attorney, (2005-2010)
Kurt J. Denkewalter, LLC, (2006-2009)
Shayne Sankoe, Attorney, (2008-2008)
#215 South Court Street: H. J. Walter Block–1873
Originally home to three stores, including a shoe shop below and six offices above
Shepard Flour and Feed Store, O. C. Shepard, Prop. (1876-1886)
1. Shepard moved his business to the Union building at 23 Public Square in 1886.
2. Mrs. Wilmott maintained a Millinery Store above O. C. Shepard Store in 1878.
Kimmell and Wells Instruments and Music Store, M. D. Kimmell and D. A. Wells, (1886-1890)
McDougall and Woodruff Grocery Store, Emma K. and Elliot Mc Dougal, Props. (1885-1897)
1. McDougall’s purchased all the grocery stock of Isaac and George F. High when I. R. retired and George went into the jewelry business in 1885.
Tuttle and High Drug Store, John W. Tuttle, Prop. (1900-1909)
1. W. E. Sargent sold block to Ephriam Brenner for $2,900 and he will remodel store with a plate glass front and will remove the stairway to rear. Store will be occupied by George F. High for jewelry and John W. Tuttle for drugs on other side in 1900.
2. John Tuttle was formerly employed by McDowell Drug Store for several years.
3. W. J. Orr was pharmacist for Tuttle and High in 1901.
4. George F. High Jewelry moved to 1 door South of Brenner Harness Shop in1900 from #52 South Public Square and will share a store front with Tuttle Drug Store.
High and Hendrickson Bicycle Headquarters, George F. High and Blake Hendrickson, Props. (1902-1909)
1. In 1902, George High and Blake Hendrickson, both avid cyclists, partnered to open the Bicycle Headquarters in the village and sold all makes and models out of the High’s jewelry store location.
Tuttle Drug Store, John W. Tuttle, Prop. (1909-1916)
1. George F. High moved his jewelry business to #13 West Public Square formerly occupied by H. H. Brainard Jewelry.
2. J. W. Tuttle will now have space for his dry cleaning business and will place the soda fountain and soft drink tables on the south side of the store on April 2 1909.
Unknown Proprietors, (1917-1921)
Snyder Drug Store, Ray Snyder, Prop. (1922-1929)
1. Rexall Drug Store sold by John Tuttle estate to Ray Snyder in 1922.
Floding Drug Store, (1929-1930)
Fisher Brothers Food Company, C. Dague, Grocery Manager and Frank Mora, Meat Manager, (1930-1955)
Medina TV and Appliance Company, (1956-1957)
Economy Savings and Loan, Edward F. Sheets, Manager, (1958-1971)
Capital Finance Corp, (1960-1978)
Capital Savings and Loan Company, (1981-1989)
Beneficial Mortgage Company of Ohio, (1981-1998)
Medina Vision Centre, Christine Beiling, OD, Prop. (1991-1995)
Logo’s Book Store , (1995-1999)
Medina’s Quilting Bee, (2000-2003)
Natures Décor, (2004-2004)
Beneficial Finance and Tax Services, (2005-2007)
Fleurs European Boutique, Beverly Gross, Prop. (2007-2014)
Rustic and Refined, (2015-2016)
#221 South Court Street, Kalish Bldg.-1853, Whipple Block-1873
The original store front still exists. This is the site of a family-owned Grocery and crockery store for almost one hundred years.
Kalish Ready-made Clothing Store, B. Kalish and S. Kalish, Props. (1853-1858)
Nelson Gunsmith Shop, Roger Nelson, Prop. (1859-1864)
1. Mr. R. Nelson would announce to the citizens of Medina that he has recently opened a gunsmith shop a few doors south of the Gazette Building.
High and Bradway Grocery and Hardware Store, Isaac High and William H. Bradway, Props. (1865-1873)
1. Bradway business was wiped out in the Village fire of 1870. He slept through the fire and only noticed it as he went to work. While the city was still smoldering they set up a grocery and hardware business in the little frame building where the Asire block is now in1915. In 1873 they built the brick building now occupied by W.H. Sipher.
2. Before the fire Isaac High was in hardware business with Bradway.
Sipher and Briggs Grocery Store, William H. Sipher and Mr. Briggs, Props. (1873-1875)
Munn Grocery and Provision Store, Edward Munn, Prop. (1875-1880)
1. Edward Munn moved to Kansas in 1880 and sold his business back to W. H. Sipher.
Sipher Grocery and Provisions Store, William Sipher, Prop. (1880-1883)
Whipple and Sipher, Grocery, Glassware and Crockery Store, William Henry Sipher and George R. Whipple, Props. (1883-1900)
1. George R. Whipple acquired an interest in Sipher’s grocery business in 1883.
2. Whipple and Sipher have placed a fine refrigerator in their grocery and now serve customers with butter, watermelons and other fragile articles fresh from ice in August, 1887.
3. Delivery wagon stopped in front of Oatman Hardware and Wipple and Sipher Grocery Store on South Court Street.
Warner and McNeal Grocery and Provisions Store, Bert Warner and George McNeal, Props. (1901-1906)
1. Whipple and Sipher sold their grocery store to Warner and McNeal in 1901.
Whipple and Sipher Grocery and Provisions Store, John Whipple and William H. Sipher, Props. (1906-1912)
1. John Whipple and William H, Sipher bought the grocery business from Warner and McNeal in 1906.
Sipher Grocery and Provisions Store, William Sipher, Prop. (1913-1920)
1. William H. Sipher bought out the partnership with John Whipple in 1913.
Carlton and Koppes Grocery and Provisions Store, C. W. Carlton and H. S. Koppes, Props. (1920-1922)
1. William H. Sipher sold his grocery and provisions store to C. W. Carlton and H. S. Koppes in 1920.
Fisk and Sipher Grocery and Provisions Store, F. C. Fisk and W. H. Sipher, Props (1922-1926)
1. W. H. Sipher sold his grocery store to F. C. Fish Cash and Carry in 1922 and remained in the business as a clerk.
Wright Book Store, M. T. Wright, Prop. (1923-1933)
1. M. T. Wright moved his book and stationary business from #213 South Court Street in 1923, when W. G. Steele purchased Wright’s printing office and equipment and moved it to Pennsylvania.
Sipher Grocery, Glassware and Crockery Store, William H. Sipher, Prop. (1926-1926)
1. F. C. Fisk sold his interests in grocery partnership to W. H. Sipher in 1926.
Cannon’s Grocery, Charles M. Cannon, Props. (1926-1942)
1. W. H. Sipher sold his grocery store to C. M. Cannon in the same year he dissolved the partnership with F. C. Fisk.
Cannon’s Grocery, Ida Cannon, Prop. (1942-1976)
1. Daughter, Ida Cannon took over proprietorship after the death of her father in 1942.
2. Miss Cannon was a great clerk who cared about each customer. She tied all the bags and parcels with ribbon, to add a personal touch. She stood behind the counter to get everything the customer needed. She had delivered groceries too. The boys she hired called her old station wagon the "Cannon-ball". She was a wonderful woman who ran a store all by herself.
3. Ida Cannon’s Customer Credit Register
The Bike Shop, Lus Ruf, Prop. (1977-1984)
Gramercy Gallery, Pat Boyle, Prop. (1984-1989)
1. One of the most attractive stores with fancy gifts for sale on South Court Street.
Gramercy Gallery, Pam Miller, Prop. (1989-2013)
1. Pat Boyle sold her Gramercy Gallery to Pam Miller in 1989.
2. As The Boyle Family passed over the shop to Pam Miller, she preserved the gallery’s unique authenticity. She not only sold knick-knacks, but also featured pieces from local artists.
H2 Huth and Harris Wine Merchants, Whitney Harris, Prop. (2014-2016)
1. Stellar wine selection and fantastic atmosphere! They have unique Wines you won't find in your local winery. The staff is friendly and the decor is really well thought out
#225 South Court Street: Oatman Bldg.–1871
The building located at 225 South Court Street has been in operation since 1872 and supplying Medina with hardware since 1872. This building was first built after the fire in 1870 on the square. Its first owner was Lyman Oatman, who named the building Oatman's Hardware. He owned the store until 1933. In 1933, he sold the store to Willard Stephenson who changed the name to Medina Hardware. Today Medina Hardware is owned by Willard's son Rick Stephenson and attempts to retain as much tradition as possible in today's modern society.
Oatman Hardware, Orlin and Lyman Oatman, Jr. Props. (1871-1873)
1. The Oatman Brothers built a two story, brick building to house their hardware store after the village fire in 1870.
2. Oatman Brothers are making a decided specialty of bicycles, a separate department being devoted to this branch of the business. A. W. Oatman son of Orlin Oatman has exclusive charge of this department.
Medina Stove and Tin Store, Orlin and Lyman Oatman, Jr. and Frank Burdoin, Props. (1873-1875)
1. They are also patentees and owners of Burdoin’s celebrated eave-trough hangers, of which they manufacturer in large quantities and ship them to all parts of the Union.
Oatman Hardware, Orlin and Lyman Oatman Jr. Prop. (1876-1908)
1. Medina County Gazette August 31, 1888--The other day O. and L. Oatman sold a farmer a dish pan and half a dozen steel knives. He put the pan in his wagon and the knives in the pan. They were in a thick paper box, of the sliding kind, wrapped in two or three thicknesses of paper. In less than twenty minutes parties saw smoke coming from his wagon and on investigating found that the box containing the steel knives in the dish pan was on fire and had burned a hole through the box and the paper in which the knives were wrapped. The bright tin dish pan had drawn the sun's rays to a focus on the paper and ignited it. Whether the steel had anything to do with it is a question worth trying to solve. Undoubtedly many fires are caused by such means which are unaccountable.
2. In 1908, Orlin and Lyman Oatman have just put into their store a new elevator which for convenience in their business is not surpassed.
3. Orlin Oatman is retiring from the business and Lyman has purchased his interests in the hardware business in 1908.
Alvin Beck, Orlin Oatman, Alice Oatman, Lyman Oatman, Simon "Slim" Oatman and William Beck
Oatman Hardware, Lyman Oatman, Jr. Prop. (1909-1913)
1. Lyman Oatman Jr. passed away in February, 1913 and his wife took over as proprietor of the hardware store.
Oatman Hardware, Alice L. Oatman, Prop. (1913-1928)
1. Alice Oatman took over as proprietor from 1913-1928, while her son-in-law, Joseph H. Adams was active manager. Alice died in November1928
Oatman Hardware, Joseph H. Adams, Prop. (1929-1933)
1. The Oatman family served Medina with hardware and tin products for over 65 years
2. Barbour Berry and Charles Ritter Sheet Metal and Roofing work out of Oatman Hardware in 1933
Medina Hardware, Willard Stephenson, Prop., (1933-1942)
1. Willard Stephenson purchased the hardware business from the Oatman family in 1933, after graduating from Miami of Ohio College the year before in 1932.
2. W. A. Stephenson changed the name of Oatman’s to Medina Hardware being that the store should stand on its own merits. Also, new lines are carried such as electrical goods, plumbing fixtures, etc.
The cash register, still present in the store today which has lasted over seventy years of use, embodies the ideas of tradition and old-fashion business which Willard Stephenson promoted when he first bought Medina Hardware from the Oatman brothers.
3. Barbour Berry and Charles Ritter Sheet Metal and Roofing work out of Medina Hardware from 1933-1936, then moved their business to #233 South Court Street where they remained for 58 years.
4. In 1940, Willard Stephenson caught 2 men stealing a power lawn mower from in front of his store and chased them 15 miles until their car wrecked in Litchfield.
5. In 1942, Willard Stephenson is commodore of the Chippewa Lake Yacht Club. The Club is only 2 years old and has 99 members They will build a club house near the Townsend estate, with a fireplace, large screened porch and kitchenette.
Medina Hardware, Harold H. Stephenson, Manager (1942-1945)
1. Aug. 25 1942, Willard A. Stephenson was suddenly called to military service and appointed 2nd lieutenant in engineer’s amphibian command of the Army Corps of Engineers, due to his knowledge of small water craft. His brother Harold H. Stephenson will move to Chippewa Lake from Zanesville to operate Medina Hardware in his absence.
Medina Hardware, Willard Stephenson, Prop. (1945-2008)
1. “Steve” was active in the business until early in his 99th year of life, passing on in November 25, 2008.
2. A well-kept secret is the outstanding kitchen store in the basement where you can find every imaginable cooking gadget.
Medina Hardware, Richard “Rick” Stephenson, Prop. (2008-Present)
1. Rick served as Maytag Machine Repair Specialist in addition to clerking in the store for many years prior to becoming owner in 2008.
2. Rick Stephenson, Willard's son, still uses the same cash register that his father bought in 1935.
3. Although the country is going through technological proliferation the only modem technology Medina Hardware has is a calculator. He believes that, to run a good business, the manager must keep the business small, take nobody for granted, and always put service first.
4. This is a beloved Medina institution — an old fashioned hardware store where you can ask for five small nails if that’s all you need and someone will climb a ladder to get them for you from the old oak drawers that line the walls.
#229 South Court Street: Bostwick Bldg.-1851, Oatman Block-1872
Bostwick Tin and Stove Shop, Charles E. Bostwick, Prop. (1851-1860)
Bostwick Meat Market, Charles E. Bostwick, Prop. (1860-1867)
1. Orlin and Simon S. Oatman bought the lot of Charles E. Bostwick for $450 in 1867.
Oatman Brothers Meat Market, Simon “Slim”, Orlin and Lyman Oatman Sr, Props. (1867-1870)
1. The Oatman Brothers Meat Market was totally destroyed in the village fire of 1870.
Oatman Meat Market, Simon “Slim” S. Oatman and Orlin Oatman, Props. (1872–1884)
1. Oatman Brothers built a new building in 1872. A galvanized iron cornice on S.S.Oatman’s new building by Cramer and May of Akron is a different pattern from others in town, immediately admired.
2. 1872—Oatman Brothers store is now open and everyone stopped by to buy steaks. The new store has walls wainscoted 4 feet up from the floor, a grained meat rack and marble-top counters, sawdust on the floor and everything very clean. They have a stock of 3000 pounds of meat for sale, a big stock for one store.
Oatman Meat Market, Orlin Oatman, Prop. (1884-1894)
1. Brother “Slim” S. Oatman moved to Berea, Ohio and opened a meat market in 1884 while still holding a non-working interest in the Medina market.
Oatman Meat Market, Albert Oatman and Simon “Slim” Oatman, Props. (1894-1913)
1. In 1894 Simon Oatman returned to Medina to become a partner with his son, Albert Oatman, since the business has grown to such a proportion that a partner was needed.
2. Simon Oatman formed a partnership with a Mr. Hedges and moved the meat market to #30 West Side of Public Square in 1913.
People’s Market and Grocery Store, Mary and Peter Muzzyla, Prop. (1914-1922)
1. The business was assigned to Arthur VanEpp in 1922 and sold to F. Marko 1922.
People’s Market and Grocery Store, F. Marko, Prop. (1922-1931)
Tintsman Electric Company, E. H. Tintsman, Prop. (1932-1933)
1. The Tintsman Electric Business moved to the Griesinger Block at #228-236 South Court Street in 1933.
Rothackers Market, (1933-1936)
Sailer’s Men’s Shop, John Sailer, Prop. (1937-1949)
1. Ellen Sailer sold the clothing business to clerk, Ralph Morton in 1949.
Morton and Lutz Men’s Wear, Ralph Morton and Ted Lutz, Props. (1949-1958)
Morton’s Men’s Ware, Ralph Morton, Prop. (1958-1965)
Fashion Wear House Receiving Room (1966-1971)
All Sport Store, Jim Variotti, Prop. (1972-1990)
1. All Sport was the main sports store in Medina in this era. The All Sport Store was where people bought their first pair of Nike shoes, track shorts and other athletic accessories.
All Sport Store, Peter King, Jr., Prop. (1991-1999)
1. In 1991, the business and the building were acquired by the Peter King family.
2. In 1999, All Sport Store closed when Peter King Jr. joined his father’s business.
Treasured Friends Country, (2000-2007)
1. Treasured Friends Country struggled to stay alive in the dark economic downturn.
Davinci Floors and Granite, Susan Byrs, Prop. (2007-2016)
1. Currently in 2011 the King family own the building and the business is individually run by a store owner.
#229.5 South Court Street: Oatman Block, 1872, 2nd Floor
Marjorie L. and William Watson Foley, (1937-1938)
Lucille and Thomas S. Haight, (1937-1938)
Margaret, (Cleacos Beauty shop operator) and Joseph Fodor, (1938-
James Todd, (Dunn and Bradstreet Salesman), (1938-
Mary C. and Merle E. Wunderlich, 2nd Floor, (1948-1950)
Lauretta O. and John J. Sailer Jr. (1948- 1955)
Virginia and Jack H. Anderson, ( 1950-1952)
Frances Hartman, (1952-1955)
Frank J. Mora, (1952-1955)
Ellen Sailer, (1952-1955)
Robert E. Norton, (1955-
Nelson D. Secaur , (1955-
Evelyn M. Hall, (1966-1978)
Ora Henry, (1966-1969)
Karen Jesiolowski, (1969-1971)
1. In 1972 part of the living space on the 2nd floor was made into a single upstairs loft.
2. The second floor loft became a part of the 1st floor business in 1978.
#233 South Court Street: Mechanics Block-1870
Built by John Renz, Ephriam Brenner and Andrew Griesinger. This Block includes two main store fronts. The first housed Renz and Brenner Harness and Saddle Shop (#233) and the second, Griesinger Shoe Store. (#239). The brick was furnished by E. Hale of York Township and the roof was tin. It is thought the 1870 fire began in this area.
Rettig Saddle, Harness and Trunks, John A. Rettig, Prop. (1842–1865)
1. Cash paid for hides, calf and deacon skins, sheep pelts, fox skins and coon skins.
2. John Renz came to Medina in 1852 and learned the trade of harness-making from John Rettig.
Renz and Brenner Harness and Saddle Shop. John E. Renz and Ephriam Brenner, Props. (1865–1893)
1. Ephraim lived at home until he was 16 years of age; he then apprenticed to the harness and saddle business with John A. Rettig, of Medina.
2. Ephraim formed the partnership of Renz and Brenner, and purchased the business of Mr. John A. Rettig whom they formerly apprenticed to and have conducted the business since.
3. 1n 1872 Renz and Brenner, harness makers, dealer in hides and furs, also leather and harness makers and hardware; employ twelve hands; business this past year, $10,000.
4. In 1874 Renz and Brenner in addition to harnesses saddle and collars etc. have trunks, whips, robes, plastering hair and blacking. Will pay the highest market price for Deacon Skins (a skin from a calf less than 8 pounds weight) and for hides, pelts and furs.
5. A stuffed horse with saddle and reins stands in front of Renz and Brenner’s shop in 1882.
6. "A business change that will cause more than the usual surprise in the dissolution of partnership of Renz and Brenner. This firm has been one of the old landmarks of the village, having been in existence now for over a quarter of a century, and always doing business at the old stand. Fred Renz will be associated with his father in the new firm."
Renz Harness and Saddle Shop, John E. Renz and Son, Fred Renz, Prop. (1893–1936)
1. Lyman Oatman’s 1st class meat establishment was in the basement of the Merchant’s block on the west side of Court just a little south of the square.
Berry and Ritter Hardware and Tin Shop, Barbour L. Berry and Charles Ritter, Props. (1936-1959)
Berry and Ritter Sheet Metal and Roofing, Thurston E. Berry and Boyd L. Berry, Props. (1959–1994)
1. Barbour Berry's sons Thurston and Boyd Berry took over the sheet metal business upon the retirement of their father and Charles Ritter in 1959.
Classics, Peter and Joanne King, Props. (1994-2000)
1. In 1994, the King family purchased the building at #229 South Court Street from Thurston E. Berry and opened a retail clothing store called “Classics”.
Dandy Lion Clothing and Gift Co. (2000-2006)
All Fired Up, Amanda Cook Hudak (2006–2016)
#233.5 South Court Street: Mechanics Block-1870
Dozzle Barber and Hair Dresser Shop, A. A. Dozzle, Prop. (1875-1880)
Y. W. C. A. Office and Club Rooms, (1932-1936)
1. The board voted to accept this location over Renz Leather Store for their much needed new office and club rooms. The Swastika club will occupy the large front room and the two smaller rooms will be the Y. M. C. A. office and an attractive dining room for lunches and teas..
R. J. Sedgwick, (1948-1952)
Ronald Buford, (1953-1956)
Carl T Earl, (1961-1966)
John Mullins, (1969-1972)
Frank Yoder, (1976-1978)
Robert Sanford, (1985-1988)
Bryan Smith, (1985-2000)
#239 South Court Street: Bostwick Block-1842, Mechanics Block-1870
In 1842, the Bostwick Block was built by Charles Edward Bostwick and the Contractors were Barney Prentiss and Manville.
The Mechanics Block was built by E. Renz, E. Brenner and A. Griesinger. This Block includes two main store fronts. The first housed Renz and Brenner Harness and Saddle Shop (233) and the second, Griesinger Shoe Store. (239). The brick was furnished by E. Hale of York Township and the roof was tin. It is thought the 1870 fire began in this area.Bostwick Tin Shop, Charles Edward Bostwick, Prop. (1842–1861)
1. The Bostwick Tin Shop and building was a total loss in fire in 1848.
2. Charles E. Bostwick lived in Medina from 1840-1897 and was Postmaster in 1861.
Prentice Shoe Store, Barney Prentice, Prop. (1842-1848)
1. Barney Prentice ran a successful shoe store on the Square, and it was in his establishment in the Bostwick Block, the 1848 fire (the first of Medina’s two devastating fires) was believed to have originated.
2. Barney Prentice moved to #205 South Court Street after the fire and formed a partnership with Mr. Rice.
Otto Boots, Shoes and Gailers Store, A. Otto, Prop. (1850-1854)
Wertheimer Jewelry, Clocks and Watch Dealer, M. Wertheimer, Prop. (1854-1857)
Blackford Boots and Shoes Store, C. Blackford, Prop. (1857–1861)
Griesinger Shoe Store, Andrew Griesinger, Prop. (1861–1894)
1. In 1872, Andrew Griesinger, dealer in boots and shoes, manufactured during the past year sold about 1,000 pairs of boots and also ladies' leather shoes; He has been in business 10 years, first year's sales, $2,000, the past year's sales, $12,000.
Pictured in doorway of the shoe store: L/R Unknown employee, Louis W. Hammerschmidt and Andrew Griesinger, Proprietor
Griesinger Shoe Store, Christian Griesinger and William Griesinger, Props. (1894–1920)
1. Andrew sold his stock of boots and shoes, book accounts and merchandise and notes to his sons on April 10, 1894.
Pictured in doorway of the shoe store: Christian L. Griesinger Proprietor and son, Charles Hewes Griesinger
Griesinger Shoe Store, Christian L. Griesinger and Charles H. Griesinger, Props (1920-1942)
Griesinger Shoe Store, Charles H. Griesinger, Prop. (1942-1954)
1. Berea flagstones were placed in front of the Mechanic’s Building in 1871, and curbstones were sunk two feet and posts for the railing were sunk three feet.
Griesinger Shoe Store, Clarence and Zelma Allison, Props. (1954-1967)
1. Allison’s moved their Shoe Store to the new Medina Shopping Center on North Court in 1967.
Medina Antique Store, Paul and Jane Konicki, Props. (1968-1986)
The Heirloom Cupboard, Jane Riegger, Prop. (1987-2001)
1. Heirloom Cupboard moved here from #45 South Public Square in 1987.
Scott Hughey, (2002-2002)
J. C. Crafters, (2003-2003)
Crafters Closet, (2004-2009)
Labyrinth Management Group, Leslie and Lance Travis, Props. (2006–2016)
1. SIMS Lead Auditor, Compliance Assurance, Air Quality, Contaminated Site Solutions, Due Diligence, Waste Management, Water Quality, Worker Exposure, Compliance/Risk Identification, OH&S Programs, Green Growth Strategies, OH&S Management
2. On November 6, 2007, the Medina County Department of Planning Services presented the 1st ever Green Building award to LMG in recognition of the company's commitment to the environment and sustainable redevelopment in Medina City. LMG renovated an 1870 historic building on the Square in Medina City using green design techniques that incorporated many energy efficient, recycled, and environmentally-safe products.
#239.5 South Court Street: Bostwick Block-1842, Mechanics Block-1870
Snell Billiard Room, “Pop” Snell, Prop. (1875-
Laura Lee Beauty Shoppe, (1933–1940)
Mrs. Marie Hanshue (1948-1952)
Cleacos Beauty Shoppe (1952-1971)
#241 South Court Street: Seaton’s Old Stand-c.-1859, The Tap Room Bldg.–c.-1874
Seaton Family Grocery, R. P. Seaton, Prop. (1859-1868)
Mrs. Letterly Saloon, Christina Letterly, Prop. (1869-1874)
1. Also known as Francesca Letterly, she changed to her middle name Christina in the census records.
2. Local bars, or "tippling shops" as they were sometimes called, were places that were targeted by the Women's Temperance League of Medina. The organization made several trips to Mrs. Letterly's. On the first visit, Mrs. Letterly facetiously agreed to stop selling liquor - if the organization would reimburse her for all of her alcohol.
3. The Temperance League returned twice more to sing hymns and pray outside of the saloon. Upon their final visit, Mrs. Letterly finally gave up her resistance. When the virtuous Prohibition women raised the money to buy Mrs. Letterly's alcohol, the bar was converted into a restaurant. Meanwhile, the League took Mrs. Letterly's liquor and poured it out in the street gutters.
4. But the story ends with a note on the value of community during this time period. Because the Temperance League was so grateful to Mrs. Letterly, they wanted to repay her for her sacrifice of alcohol sale; this was probably where most of her business had come from. On Decoration Day, the women organized a sort of recognition dinner for Mrs. Letterly in her restaurant, where new customers came to honor her and buy 75¢ meals.
Letterly Restaurant, Christina Letterly, Prop. (1874-1878)
Winch Restaurant, W. H. Winch, Prop., (1879-1885)
Hill Saloon, Mary and Joe L. Hill, Prop. (1886-1908)
Nelson's Candies and Nuts Shop, Andrew J. Nelson, Prop. (1909-1931)
1. A. J. Nelson moved from the Greisinger Block to the Winch store room across street now being remodeled for the popular candy man in 1909.
Waltz Ice Cream Store and Lunch Room, J. L. Waltz, Prop. (1909-1912)
1. Waltz shared building space with Nelson Candies and Nut Shop to 1912.
Square Deal Fruit and Vegetable Market, (1931-1934)
Pelton Grill, Ernie Pelton, Prop. (1938-1944)
1. More history lurks under the surface. In a four-foot-tall, all-dirt basement, a sealed hatch door is apparent, with steps that lead up to open it. Before the addition of a back room, the hatch was an exterior cellar entrance. In the Grill-Tap Room era, kegs were thrown down this opening to be stored in the basement.
Medina Tap Room, R. A. Davis, Steven Jones and Floyd Pelton, Props. (1945-1976)
1. The Medina Tap Room has been described as a pretty unsavory place! With the red and green flowered curtains, covered with water spots, that didn't quite fit the windows of the little restaurant. Inside there was a pool table, a bar directly to the left, and a walled-in alcove in which beer kegs were kept.
Granger Antique Store, Paul and Jane Konicki, Prop. (1977-1987)
Mud Mothers Pottery Shop, Elaine Lamb, Prop. (1988-1999)
1. Elaine Lamb founded Mud Mothers Pottery in 1975. She and a friend, Sarah Jane Ingraham, were both mothers of young children and were both drawn to the delights of turning mud into beautiful pots. Eventually, the friend moved on to other interests, but pottery became Elaine’s passion and life’s work.
Bill Lamb (2000-2000)
Get All Fired Up, (2002-2007)
Creame de la Creame LLC, (2009-2010)
The Dress Bridal Boutique, Sara Recker, Prop. (2011-2015)
1. They moved to #236 South Court Street in 2015.
The Raspberry and The Rose, Melissa Ziogas, Prop. (2015–2016)
1. Moved her store from #102 West Washington Street.
#245 South Court Street: Seaton Bldg.,-1868
Seaton Family Grocery, R. P. Seaton, Prop. (1868-1873)
1. Seaton Grocery Store moved one door south from “Old Stand” at #241 South Court Street in 1868.
Family Grocery and Supply Store, Mrs. Emma McClure, Prop. (1873-1874)
1. Reed Seaton’s daughter, Emma McClure who had worked with her father in his grocery business for many years took over the business in 1873.
Family Grocery and Supply Store, W. E. Sargent, Prop. (1874-1881)
1. Having recently purchased the store of Mrs. Emma McClure, I will keep on hand a full line of standard groceries of the best quality.
2. D. H. Bachtell has purchased the Grocery Store of W. E. Sargent in 1881.
D. H. Bachtell Grocery and Supply Store, (1881-1908)
Medina Quick Shoe Repairing, Louis Bifulci and Son, Props. (1910-1923)
Gordon Shoe Repair Shop, Lewis Gordon, Prop. (1924-1933)
1. Moved from Bishop building on North Court in 1924
2. Bankrupt, sold to Cleveland ‘factory repair’ shop in 1933
Busy Bee Shoe Repair, Jim Aronica, Prop. (1948–1954)
1. W. D. Lose sold B&L 5 cents to $1 store to Jim Aronica proprietor of Busy Bee Shoe Store since 1943, will operate both 1954.
Dudas Real Estate and Insurance Agency, Andrew H. Dudas and Harold D. Rodgers, Agents, (1958-1959)
Vogue Kitchens, Elmer Vunderrick, Prop. (1959-1959)
Medina Linoleum and Tile, (1959-1960)
State Farm Insurance Agency, (1961-1963)
Medina Upholstery and Furniture Repair, G. W. Gump, Prop. (1965-1966)
Health and Welfare Center, (1967-1970)
Associates Financial Services, Inc. (1971-1979)
James L. Rench, Attorney, (1982-1985)
Neil R. Chrystal, Attorney, (1982-1985)
Edward G. Kemp, Attorney, (1982-1985)
Roetzal and Andress, LPA, (1982-2005)
R/C Hobby Shop, (not 85) (1988-1992)
Mapcom Systems Inc OH, (1993-1993)
Joy of Stitching, (1995-1996)
Loved Once Again, (1998-1998)
Wee Wear by the Square, (1999-2000)
Oh Sew Heavenly (2004- 2004)
Sydney’s Studio (2005-2007)
Vacation Travel (2005-2010)
Medina Monuments (2009-2011)
Scapegoat Tattoos, (2012-2016)
#251 South Court Street:
Smith Clothes Pressing and Repair, Charles Smith, Prop. (1936-1940)
M. O’Neil Company, (1948-1954)
Gorfido Brothers, (1955-1956)
Arthur Zay Real Estate, (1963-1968)
James Gorfido Real Estate, (1968-1969)
James H. Podolny Company, (1972-1974)
W. Denny Robertson, MD and Roy Miller, MD, (1977-1979)
Heritage Court, (1982-1984)
State Farm Insurance Agency, 1984-1986)
Gracie’s Studio of Hair, (1993-1995)
Leann’s Originals Bridal and Tux, (1996–2001)
ADT Inc, (1998-1998)
Natures Décor, (2002-2003)
H&R Block Medina, (2005-2010)
Allure Studio and Spa, (2009-2009)
Square 42 Salon and Spa , Yolanda Cantrell, (2010--2016)
1. We are a full-service salon- Hair, Skin, Nails and Massages
#253 South Court Street: Basement
House of Hair, Donna Ferrell, (1971–1975)
Ah-La Carte Studio of Hair, (1976-1978)
Rolling, Hocevar and Associates, (1982-1997)
Koval and Associates, (1983-1985)
Synercom Technology Incorporated, (1983-1985)
Nucor U S, (1992-1994)
R C D Tech Services, (1993-2002)
Condata Inc, (1998-1998)
Natures Décor, (2000-2001)
L X Design, (2002-2003)
Creativity to Go Inc. (2004-2008)
Half Moon Yoga, (2016-Present)
If you are interested in learning some basic yoga, getting a great workout, or developing a meditative practice, Half Moon Yoga has something for you.
#257 South Court Street: Hanshue Bldg.-1914, Garrett-Wilson Bldg.-1948, Town Hill Bldg.-1970
Hanshue Auto Company, Charles and Stephen Hanshue, Props. (1914-1915)
1. Charles Hanshue established Hanshue Auto Company selling Willys-Knight and Overland automobiles in 1914.
2. Oatman Hardware tin shop at rear of Mrs. Lyman Oatman’s residence is now a sales room and repair shop for Hanshue Auto Company.
3. Hanshue Auto Company moved to a new building at #119 North Court Street in 1915.
Oatman Hardware Tin Shop, (1916-1924)
1. Oatman Hardware tin shop is in a frame building at the rear of Mrs. Lyman Oatman’s residence.
O. R. Dague Oldsmobile Agency and Service Station, (1925-1927)
1. The Dague Oldsmobile Agency and Service Station moved to the Oatman garage at rear of Mrs. Lyman Oatman’s residence.
2. Frenfelt and Uren leased part of the O. R. Dague building for a Chandler Agency in 1925.
Barr Medina Body and Fender, (1927-1928)
Medina Body Works, Walter Vedder, Prop. (1928-1945)
1. Ernest “Pete” Hanshue Prompt Auto Service sold to Medina Body Works which will employ Hanshue in 1937.
2. Mark E. Hazen the owner and proprietor, leased the building to Walter Vedder 1940
3. Walter F. Vedder’s Medina Body Works is tearing down the old frame building and Mark Hazen is building a new one: one-story 50’ x70’ with no posts of any sort, a brick front and concrete block sides with rear 8 ½ ‘ windows..
4. Walter F. Vedder, owner of Medina Body Works garage was registrar of motor vehicles in 1945; aluminum window salesman from 1934 to 1946;
5. Walter Vedder’s auto license bureau moved in 1945.
6. Medina Body Works sold business to Everett Wilson and Lindsey Garrett now Garrett-Wilson in 1945.
Garrett and Wilson Dodge and Plymouth Dealer, (1945–1955)
1. Garrett-Wilson bought the Medina Body Works in 1945.
E. J. Wilson and Company, Inc, Dodge and Plymouth Dealer, (1955–1958)
1. Everett J. Wilson bought out Lindsey Garrett interest in the Dodge and Plymouth Agency in 1955.
2. E. J. Wilson Dodge and Plymouth dealer remodeled the building in 1955,
3. A fire destroyed the one story cement building built in 1929 and four cars in 1957.
Payne Auto Sales, (1959-1960)
Town Hill Motors, (1960-1965)
Courtesy Chrysler Plymouth Corp, Joe Booth, Chuck Carroway and Geo Krosky, Props. (1965-1967)
Schreffler Chrysler Plymouth 1967-1970.
Leisure Group, (1971-1973)
Blazon Flexible Flyer, Inc. (1971-1974)
In 1973 the building was completely remodeled from a commercial structure to designed office space.
Town Hill Professional Building Offices, Amos Mears, Prop. (1974-2016)
Ronald S. Ricci, DDS, Inc. (1975-1994)
Lawrence Kassouf, DDS, Inc. (1975-1994)
DeLorre S. Haddad, DDS, Inc. (1978-1982)
Jeffrey L. Morehead, OD, (1978-1982)
William A. Evanko, DDS, (1978-1982)
Lewandowski, Veres and Company. CPA, (1978-1982)
Kohanski and Associates, AIA, (1978-1984)
Kohanski, Ronald W. Architect and Associates, (1985-2010)
H. L. Mast, MD, (1978-1982)
Brinskelle, Linda R., CPA, (1981-1981)
Kus, Steven D., CPA, (1981-1981)
Mesek, Mary L., CPA, (1981-1981)
Fuller, D. S. DDS, MS, (1981-1981)
Kramer, G. E. DDS, (1981-1985?)
Marco and Associates, Attorneys, (1985-1987)
1. Richard J. and Richard J. Jr. Marco and Prudence Spink.
2. Marco and Associates moved their offices to 52 South Public Square in 1987
Lawrence Jadrych, CPA, (1985-1992)
Christopher Space, DDS, (1985-1992)
Hours Inc. Temporary, (1988-1990)
Yoder, Lois J., Attorney, (1988-1991)
Pinkerton, Donald, MD, (1988-1993)
Schirripa, D. J. DDS, (1988-1993)
White, Jeffrey J. DDS, (1991-1992)
Gorsek and Company, CPA, (1992-2001)
Heck, Jill R., Attorney, (1994-1996)
Southwest Insurance Associates, (1995-1996)
Goodwill Industries, (1995-1998)
Kube and Grubb, Attorneys, (1996-1996)
Medina Alliance Fellowship, (1996-2000)
Sloboda Office Supply, (1996-1997)
Johnson and Johnson, (1999-2000)
State Farm Insurance, (1999-2001)
Western Reserve Legal Services, (1999-2001)
Buckminster, Fuller, Sado and Zung Architects, (1999-2009)
Special Markets Sales, Inc, (2000-2001)
Best Messenger Service, (2000-2001)
At Work of OH, (2002-2003)
Community Legal Aid Services, (2002-2003)
Stubbendieck Chiropractor and Rehab Center, (2002-2016)
George Innovations Group, Inc, (2003-2016)
Rolling and Hocevar, Inc, (2003-2016)
Assured Leasing, (2005-2006)
HHL Group LLC, (2005-2016)
Infovue Net, (2005-2016)
Columbia Cummings LMT, (2009-2016)
Lyons Share Marketing Group, (2016-Present)
#259 South Court Street: Front Lot, Oatman House, 1865
Edward J. Fenn Residence, (1865-1866)
J. W. Robinson Residence and Rental Property, (1866-1890)
1. Dr. W. H. Peck was a renter pre-1870 where Mrs. Oatman lives in 1890.
Lyman and Alice Oatman Residence and Rental Property, (1890-1928)
1. Alice Louisa Oatman a twin of Alvin N. Robinson came to Medina in 1861 and married Lyman Oatman in 1872,
2. Lyman and his brother Orlin owned the Oatman Hardware store from 1871-1908, then just Lyman until his death in 1913; Alice took over as proprietor from 1913-1928, while her son-in-law was manager. Alice died in 1928.
3. Lyman Oatman added a 10’ two story addition to rear of his house in 1904.
4. C .R. Warner family was a renter on second floor from 1911 to 1913.
5. Ida V. and William Baish, a butcher at S. S. Oatman Meat Market rented rooms at the Oatman house from 1914 to 1916.
6. In 1913, Lyman Oatman, the hardware dealer, had two Newfoundland dogs named Brough and Tige at his residence.
7. M. L. Crofoot rented rooms at the Oatman house from 1917 to 1919.
8. Mrs. W. H. Zimmerman occupied rental rooms vacated by M. L. Crofoot in the Oatman house from 1920 to 1922.
9. W. G. Garges, a manager of the order and billing department at A. I. Root Company to Oatman apartments from 1922 to 1923.
10. Carl Barnhardt occupied rental rooms from 1923 to 1928.
C. I. Englert Rental Property, (1928-1936)
1. The Oatman estate sold the property to C I. Englert in 1928.
2. J. H. Adams rents the 2nd floor from 1929 to 1930.
3. Arthur Mullen, Builders Supply truck driver renter from 1930 to 1935.
4. Margaret Thomas, renter from 1936 to 1940.
5. Barbara Heintzleman, renter from 1940 to 1942.
6. S. A. Gacse and Maynard Steffen renters from 1942 to 1943.
Mark Hazen Residence and Rental Property, (1937-1947)
1. The Hazen property formerly known as the Lyman Oatman property which includes the large home occupied by the Hazen family and Walter F. Vedder and also the shop occupied by Medina Body Works has been sold to Winifred and Earle Gibbs in 1945.
Walter F. Vedder Residence, (1943-1947)
1. Jessie May and Walter Vedder came to Medina in 1926.
2. Walter F. Vedder, owner of Medina Body Works garage was registrar of motor vehicles in 1945; aluminum window salesman from 1934 to 1946;
3. Walter Vedder’s auto license bureau moved in 1945.
4. Walter F. Vedder’s Medina Body Works is tearing down the old frame building and Mark Hazen is building a new one: one-story 50’ x70’ with no posts of any sort, a brick front and concrete block sides with rear 8 ½ ‘ windows..
5. Vedder sells all weather aluminum storms and screens in 1946; sells household goods and moves in1947.
Garrett and Wilson Dodge and Plymouth Dealer, (1945-1955)
1. The old frame two stories Oatman house was demolished to make way for a large concrete building to house the sales rooms and Body Shop of the Garrett and Wilson Dodge and Plymouth Agency in 1948.
Go to #257 South Court Street for proprietors after 1955.
#261 South Court Street: Frazier Residence,-1910
William G. Frazier Private Residence, (1910-1925)
1. William G. Frazier was born in Sharon in 1861. Moved to Medina 1910; died in October, 1936. Owned and operated the Liberty Street Service Station and a machine shop.
Merlin Seymour, renter, (worked at Pelton’s Bakery) in (1925-1926)
Turner Tea Room, R. W. Turner, Prop. (1926-1928)
1. Tea room first door north of the Ford garage for rent fully equipped, rooms up for 5 beds for tourists, ½ of barn for garage in 1926.
2. R. W. Turner rented the W.G. Frazier home and will open a tea room there in 1926
Prescott Maternity Home/Hospital, L. H. Prescott, Prop. (1928-1930)
Mrs. Florence Stephens, renter, (1931-1936)
Feckley Auto Sales, Inc Used Car Lot, 1937-1972)
1. Mrs. W. G. Frazier sold to Feckley Auto Sales her lot just north of Feckley Garage; Frasier home dismantled and lot will be for Feckley used cars in 1937.
Century Ford Sales, Inc. Used Car Lot, (1973–1977)
Halleen Ford, Inc, C. Halleen, Prop. Used Car Lot, (1978-1981)
1. Buildings were demolished and legal preparation began for a public parking lot.
Public Parking, Lot 4, (1985-2016)
#269-271 South Court Street: Feckley Bldg.-1929
Kimmell Ford Auto Agency, Roy E. Kimmel, Prop. (1914–1929)
1. Roy E. Kimmel built a garage building to occupy as a Ford Agency in 1915 that would be the first automobile dealership in Medina.
Maxwell Ford Auto Agency, M. G. Maxwell, Prop. (1926-1929)
1. Roy E. Kimmel sold his Ford Agency to M. G. Maxwell in 1926.
Feckley and Sweeny Auto Sales, Inc, Frank E. Feckley and Arthur W. Sweeny, Props. (1929–1943)
1. Frank E. Feckley, Sr. purchased the Kimmel Ford Dealership in partnership with A. W. Sweeny in 1929 and was a very civic-minded proprietor in Medina for 43 years.
2. Fred Hard Jr. auto painting, washing and repair shop left the Ford garage in 1933.
3. Frank E. Feckley was claimed to have taken the last horse in Medina in a $15 trade on a $199.70 car in 1934.
Feckley Auto Sales, Inc, Frank E. Feckley, Prop. (1944-1972)
1. In 1943, Frank Feckley dissolved his partnership with A. W. Sweeny and became the sole proprietor of the Ford dealership in Medina.
2. Roy E. Kimmel sold the building and garage to Frank E. Feckley in 1945.
Century Ford Sales, Inc. (1973–1977)
Halleen Ford, Inc, C. Halleen, Prop. (1978-1981)
1. Buildings demolished and legal preparation for parking lot.
Public Parking, Lot 4, (1985-2016)
#275 South Court Street: Frasier Bldg.-1918
Addie Burt Residence, (1909-1916)
Addie Burt sold property to W. J. Frazier in 1916.
New Medina Garage, R. A. Loehr, Manager, (1917-1927)
1. New Medina Garage Reo and Maxwell Automobile Agency moved from N. Court Street to here in 1917.
2. In 1918 a large brick garage was built at #275 South Court Street for auto sales and service business.
Henry Predmore Garage, Robert Henry, Prop. (1928-1931)
1. Predmore-Henry Company leased building to Floyd Ganyard, but not including the bowling alley space in 1932.
Medina Recreation Parlors and Bowling Alley, Sherle McNeal, Prop. (1930-1933)
1. Sherle McNeal built a four lane bowling alley that was attached to the south side of the Feckley Building in 1930 and leased by W. J. Frazier.
Ganyard Buick Sales and Service, Floyd Ganyard, Prop. (1932-1938)
Medina Recreation Bowling Alley, Sherle McNeal and John Moxley, Props. In Annex, (1933–1936)
1. In 1933, John Moxley became a partner in Medina Recreation Center.
Medina Recreation Bowling Alley, John Moxley, Prop., In Annex, (1936–1938)
1. It is a lot of fun from every angle to open the evening at the Medina Recreation Company, where the four,
alleys are kept busy continuously with bowling pins, players and fast rolling balls. Bowling is a healthful
recreation, as well as a favorite form of sport. Commonly inactive muscles are brought into play, rich, red blood is swept into proper channels, and one's complexion takes on an added; glow after a zestful turn at bowling,
2. And here in Medina is an attractively equipped recreation room where; so many of Medina's youngsters,
and oldsters, too, if the truth is desired, congregate for an overlying’s entertainment, a relaxation after a
day's steady grind at required duties performed. It is interesting to know that there are eight ladies teams
playing here weekly. There are approximately sixty women bowlers in town.
3. The Medina Recreation company is located at 275 S. Court and is ably managed by John Moxley, a Medina county boy, born and raised, who, this year, leased Sherle McNeal’s half-interest in the bowling alleys, and is carrying the entire enterprise alone most successfully. During a number of interviews made by the Who's Who editor in Medina County, a number of Medina's outstanding men have proudly attended to the fact that they were backing one of the bowling teams on the Medina League and this week's Who's Who feature page carries the story of the man whose team won last year's loving cup. And was he proud when, relating the fact?
4. John Moxley is kept busy at this season of the year. There seems to be never a dull moment from the time the alleys are opened until he calls it an evening fully spent. Bowling, as well as being a healthful diversion from, a day’s labors, encourages the true meaning of sportsmanship, stimulates true friendship
Medina Recreation Center and Bowling Alley, Thomas Haight, Prop., In Annex, (1938–1961)
1. Thomas S. Haight in 1938 bought Medina Recreation Center from John Moxley.
2. The six lane bowling alley was attached to the south side of the Feckley Building and the pins were manually set by pin-setters in 1946.
3. Haight moved his bowling alley to 678 Lafayette Road in 1961.
Ganyard Motors Studebaker, Floyd Ganyard, Prop. (1939-1946)
1. Floyd Ganyard changed his dealership to Studebaker from Buick in 1939 when Frank Bond acquired the Buick dealership for the Medina area.
2. Frank Feckley bought the building just south of his Ford garage from Mrs. Genevieve A and W. G. Frazier now occupied by Ganyard Motors Service and the Medina Recreation bowling alleys for expansion, and will occupy when the present lease runs out in May, 1946.
1. Buildings were demolished and legal preparation began for a public parking lot.
Public Parking, Lot 4, (1985-2016)
#277 South Court Street: Sprankle House, c.-1880
1. #277 is a Small yellow Greek revival style house with a circa 1880 second story porch with Victorian gingerbread. The 2nd floor exterior has original siding. Owner can rent a 3 room apartment on 2nd floor.
2. The 1st floor was a retail Store with a 4 room apartment at the rear for rent, also 3 rooms apartment with a bathwas above garage at rear in 1935.
Charles M. Fenn Residence, ( 1900-1910)
1. Ora V. Neumeyer sold the unit to Daniel W Sprankle in 1923.
2. Sprankle Wall Paper also purchased the Ora.V. Neumeyer block in 1924.
Sprankle Wall Paper House, John W. Sprankle, Prop. (1916-1922)
Web Sprankle Wall Paper House, Daniel Webster Sprankle, Prop. (1923–1935)
1. Sprankle Wall Paper House sells wallpaper from 12 ½ cents per roll on Tuesdays and gives purple stamps in 1927.
Medina Wall Paper Store, Anna and Frank Blazek, Props. (1935-1936)
1. Medina Wall Paper also makes and sells Singercraft rugs in 1935,
Dr. J. M. Gilbert, Optometrist, (1936-1937)
Medina Wall Paper Store, Lydia B and Clarence Reinheld, Props. (1936-1944)
Rose Upholstery, Arthur Rose, Prop. (1939-1942)
1. Arthur Rose purchased the unit with apartments and office/retail store, north of the #281 Neumeyer Block from Dr. J. M. Glibert as rental property in 1938.
Rose Upholstery building sold to Mrs. O.V. Neumeyer, who will make the building into a rental dwelling in 1942.
Ruby Halfpenny, (1942-1944)
Alan R. and Pearl Root, (farmer), (1948-1952)
Betty J. and Richard D. Kisner, (sales with Wallace Implement Co. (1948-1952)
Floyd Chapman, (1960-1963)
Hazel and Charles Pendleton, (?-1960)
Ladies Alterations, Lois Kimball, Prop. (1963-1978)
Fred W. Riffner, (1963-1978)
Shey Bradley, (1981-1981)
Coblentrz Terry E, (1989-1991)
Brandyberry Lynn, (1992-1992)
Brown, Edward S, (1993-1993)
Keaton, L, (1999-1999)
Davis, Shane E, (2000-2000)
Vacant, (2001- 2016)
#281 South Court Street: Tousley Shop, 1854, Neumeyer Bldg.-1903
Site of Welling Tannery until 1838 and during the building of the Neumeyer Block in 1903 men dug up old vats, hides and tan bark all in good state of preservation where they had lain undisturbed for 65 years.
Tousley Marble Shop, H. G. Tousley, Prop. (1854-1860)
1. Tousley moved his shop here from #205 South Court Street in 1854.
2. H. G. Tousley had a gravestone and marble shop on the opposite corner west of the Union Hotel at the foot of the hill in 1855.
3. McSweeny and McElhenny, attorneys, in 2nd floor office over Tousley Marble Shop in 1855.
1903 Ora Neumeyer bought the corner lot opposite the Union hotel on South Court from George High and Levet and Waters Company will erect a building to include a bowling alley in the basement, a store room on street level, with 2nd and 3rd floors on the plan of an apartment house, each floor containing two suites of 4 rooms each.
Neumeyer Apartments, (1903–2016)
1. In 1903 the first apartment house in Medina was built by Mr. O. V. Neumeyer, an insurance man, on the northwest corner of South Court Street and West Smith Road.
2. He and his wife lived in one suite, a relative lived on the third floor, and the other three apartments were rented.
3. The Neumeyer Apartment building sustained a $1200 fire in 1929, with most of the damage to the top floor. Fireman fought the fire for over one hour.
Henry C. Hull, (1929-1932)
Hull was Manager at American House Hotel in 1929.
Lucy E. and John Williamson, (1929-1953)
1. John was agent for Northern Ohio and AC&Y Railroad for 30 years.
Matilda Lackey, (1930-1933)
County Employment Office, (1937- 1938)
Stella and Bailey, (1938-1938)
Margaret and Fred D. Myers, 1938-1942)
1. School Superintend in 1916 moved to apartment vacated by Bailey in 1938.
Jane Overholt residence, (1939-1942)
Bertha Newmeyer, (1943-1952)
May H. and Orlin V. Neumeyer, (1948-1952)
1. Apartment in the Newmeyer Block has 5 rooms unfinished with no pets or kids rents for $70 per month in 1954.
Mike Rose of Washington Properties purchased the Neumeyer Block in 2013
#301 South Court Street: Hickox Shop, 1846
Hickox Bros Brick Shop, Carl and William Hickox, Props. (1846-1868)
1. Building built by Rounds Brothers at planing mill for Joseph Manning’s ax factory.
2. Hickox planning mill smokestack blew down in a storm in 1880.
Hickox and Son Planning Mill and Manufacturing Plant, William Hickox and Son, Brad Hickox, Props. (1868-1885)
1. Hickox Brothers planning mill was a factory run by Ebenezer Manning who came to Medina in 1832, went to the California Gold Rush in1849 and never returned.
2. S. Beedle sold to William Hickox to manufacture agricultural implements in1868.
3. In May 1868 William Hickox of Lafayette moves machinery here and opens a plant to manufacture sashes and blinds.
4. William Hickox and Son factory has a steam whistle that blows three times a day in 1869.
5. Medina’s first steam whistle at Hickox Brotherspresented by the citizens of Medina to blow three times a day 1869.
6. William Hickox and Son plant now a two story brick and frame building, 48’ x 58’.
7. Hickox Brothers shipped 400 dozen headless pokes and have orders for many more in 1880.
8. Carl W. Hickox sawmill and lumberyard was on site of the AC&Y RR depot in 1885.
9. William Hickox son Brad left the business and Medina area in 1885.
Hickox Sawmill and Lumberyard, Carl Hickox, Prop. (1885-1894)
1. Sawmill and Lumberyard was on site of the AC&Y RR depot in 1885.
2. In 1941, Carl Hickox’s (a cabinetmaker with brother William Hickox),brick house on South Court Street torn down to make room for AC&Y depot.
Adams and Clark Marble Works, (1894-1906)
Medina Marble Works, H. W. Adams and Son, J. Harry Adams, Props. (1906-1913)
1. Harry W. Adams and son J. Harry Adams bought Granite and Marble from Adams and Clark and it became Medina Marble Works in 1906 for $6000.
2. Harry W. Adams was a skilled artificer partner with Dan Hemmeter in 1923.
3. George F. High and Harry Adams are members of the new marble firm at the corner of South Court and West Smith Road.
4. Medina Granite and Marble sold lots #2 and #3 to Caroline and I. H Rickard in 1916.
Medina Granite and Marble Works, Charles W. Lawrence, Sr., Prop. (1913-1927)
1. Charles Lawrence a young carver had been in Cleveland, working on the city hall construction, when asked to do the short chore at the Abbeyville Church.
2. Taking over the Medina Granite and Marble Works, Lawrence became an independent businessman in 1913. Prior to that, the English-born craftsman had applied his trade with his father in England, then in New Brunswick, Canada and later in Barre, Vermont.
3. Charles Lawrence purchased the business from H. W. Adams in 1913 and in 1927 moved business to #127 West Smith Road.
South Court Street looking north to Uptown in 1917
Standard Oil Service Station, (1927-1948)
1. Standard Oil Company bought the Medina Monumental Works property for a gas filling station in 1926.
Standard Oil Service Station, M. M. Whitmore, Prop. (1948-1952)
Standard Oil Service Station, Paul Crocker, Prop. (1952-1958)
Standard Oil Service Station, Wesley R. Kemp, Prop. (1958-1980)
Standard Oil Service Station, Steve Toth, Prop. (1981-1985)
Busy Bee Muffler Center, Craig, George and Bill, Props. (1985-2016)