#218 South Court Street: Phoenix Block–1870, (Rear)
A new store and entrance from South Court Street was opened when the new Phoenix Block was rebuilt after the 1870 fire.
High and Bradway Grocery and Hardware Store, Isaac High and William H. Bradway, Props. (1871-1874)
1. In the Old Phoenix Block the south room is the most elaborate in the country.
2. W. H. Bradway retired from High and Bradway and sold his interest to Elizur S. Hills for $3000 in 1874.
High and Hills Grocery Store, Isaac High and Elizur S. Hills, Props. (1874-1877)
1. This was the successor partnership to High and Bradway Grocery Store in 1874.
Fenn Dry Goods, Clothing and Wall Paper Store, Edward, J. Fenn, Prop., (1877-1877)
1. E. J. Fenn has moved his stock of goods saved from the fire into the south room in the Phoenix Block, where he will close them out at exceedingly low prices. Now is the time to buy goods cheaper than ever before.
Jones Millinery and Fancy Goods Store, Mrs. H. M. Jones, Prop. (1877-1887)
1. Mrs. Jones assistants are Mrs. J. Stanley, Mrs. S. C. Pancoast, Miss Vinnie Corretaca, Miss Nettie Spillman, Miss Donna Blackford, Miss Lucy Tilley and Miss Cassie Greene
Schmittell Barber Shop, John V. Schmittell, Prop. (1886-1888)
The Phoenix Dry Goods Company, Ben Boult, Prop. (1888-1900)
1. 1898 - O. H. McDowell has purchased the dry goods stock of G. A. I. Boult and the same are to be transferred to the Phoenix Dry Goods Co., which is soon to start. Ben Boult, who has been associated with his father in business for some time, and who is known as one of the best experienced business men in town in the dry goods line, will become a partner in the new business McDowell Brothers opened the door to their south store today. It is filled with a choice assortment of holiday and seasonable goods.
Moore Millinery, Della Moore, Prop. (1900-1904)
U.S. Express Office, (1904-1919)
1. 1st telegraph office was installed in Old Phoenix block on west side next to William Asire Furniture Store.
Dr. W. B. Croft Medical Offices, (1920-1927)
Ziegler Display Store, Harold Y. Ziegler, Prop. (1927-1931)
1. Leased part of the ¼ south rooms in Phoenix Block and will remodel and continue business in 1927.
Home Appliance Company, Philco Radios, (1931-1932)
Maytag Wyatt Company, V. C. Wyatt, Prop. (1932-1935)
Medina Radio Shop, (1936-1942)
Medina Appliance Store, (1942-1948)
Medina Jive Shop, (1948-1951)
Medina Camera and Music, Edward A. Morton, Prop, (1952-1964)
1. E. A. Morton moved to 110 West Washington Street in 1964.
218 South Court Street was closed with a brick front for the remodeling project of the Old Phoenix Bank in 1965.
#220 South Court Street: Munson Court at rear of Phoenix Block-1870
Sturges Phoenix Stables, L. C. Sturges, Prop. (1870-1875)
Faust Livery Stables, A. D. Faust, Prop. (1876-1877)
The Livery Stables at the rear of the Phoenix Block were removed in 1877.
#226 South Court Street: Asire Block–1873
Hubbard and Milestone Saddle and Harness Manufactory, Charles Hubbard and Peter Milestone, Props. (1851-
William Asire purchased from John Speer the building in which the Gazette was printed at 226 South Court Street.
1. When built the Asire Building was a 3 story brick structure measuring 25’x70’.
After fire, High and Bradway in a 20x30 foot building on Asire lot directly opposite their former bldg. (1870)
Goodwin Grocery and Hardware, C. A Goodwin, Prop. (1871-1873)
1. Hiram Goodwin was wiped out in 1870 fire and he opens up a grocery and hardware business in a little frame building where Asire block is now (written in 1915).
Marks Meat Market, Hyram Marks, Prop. (1871-1873)
1. Hyram Marks kept a meat market in a little frame building where Sargent and Wertz furniture stands (written in 1922).
Asire Furniture and Musical Instruments, Undertaker, William and Aldis Asire, Props. (1873-1897)
1. William Asire cabinetmaker and undertaker started business in basement of the Congregational Old Brick with E. L. Little from 1850-1873.
2. In 1872, William Asire, general furniture dealer and undertaker, had business for the year totaling $6,000.
3. Asire funeral carriage had white horses with black netting.
4. 1879-Aldis Asire left Medina Wednesday for Germany, where he will pursue his musical studies at the celebrated conservatory in Stuttgart.
5. Aldis Asire is a music teacher upstairs in Asire Block 1887.
6. Berea flagstones in front of the Asire Block in 1871, curbstones sunk two feet and posts for railing sunk three feet.
7. Wells and Chandler built fire escape from the top of the Asire Block in 1877.
8. Asire has a piano wagon with two splendid white horses 1880.
Fenn Dry Goods, Clothing and Wall Paper Store, E, J. Fenn, Prop., (1877-1879)
1. E. J. Fenn has moved his Dry goods stock to Asire’s furniture store, one side of which has been temporarily fitted up for his accommodations.
Sargent Furniture Store, F. Jay Sargent, Prop. (1897-1917)
1. Jay Sargent bought the Aldis Asire the furniture and undertaking business.
2. Jay Sargent sells dining room furniture, French leg tables, buffets & china closets 1901.
3. The elevator in Sargent’s furniture store brakes on cable failed sending elevator into the cellar, occupant a little bruised in 1901.
4. Aldis V. Asire listed for sale the Asire Block, a 3 floor brick building, 25 x70 feet with 7’ basement electric lights for $5000.
5. Asire sold the Asire Block to Winthrop E. Sargent for $4400 in 1899.
Sargent and Wertz Furniture Store, F. Jay Sargent and Wentz, Prop. (1917-1933)
1. Sargent sold the furniture business in 1930 and just does undertaking.
2. Sargent and Wertz operate a motor ambulance in 1919.
Pyrofax Gas Company, J. H. Adams, Prop. (1934-1934)
Rose Upholstering, Arthur Rose, Prop. (1935-1942)
1. Arthur Rose leased store for upholstery business in 1935.
Amstutz Hatchery, Virgil W. Neuenschwander Prop. (1939-1945)
Better Dress Shop, Louis and Eve Schwartz Family, Props. (1945-1986)
1. Jessie L. and Frank Sargent sold the building to Eva and A. Lewis Schwartz in 1945.
Fashion Warehouse, Louis and Eve Schwartz Family, Props. (1971-1985)
Freedom Fashions, Arthur Greenberg, Prop. (1986-1989)
Fashions International Lee Kahn, Prop. 2nd Floor, (1988-1989)
Juliannes Down Under, Basement, (1990-1992)
Soft Rock Café’, (1990-1993)
Cantina King, (1994-1994)
South Court Grill, owned by Kari Fiocca, (1995-1997)
That Piano Shop and Music Store, (1998-2000)
The Gardner’s Cottage, Carmen Greenberg, Prop. (2001- 2016)
1. Home Decor and Gifts – Now in Our 15th Year!
#230-232 South Court Street: Griesinger Block, 1898
Oberholtzer, Filous and Chase Attorneys. (1978-1982)
Oberholtzer, Filous, and Young Company, LPA, (1983-1998)
Minnesota Title Agency of Medina Inc, (1981-1982)
Borealis Communications, (2001-2001)
Professional Conveyance Corporation, (2001-2001)
Professional Field Services, (2001-2001)
Hofers’ Photography, (2002-2004)
Mortgage Now, (2002-2008)
The Mooney Group, (2002-2003)
Avenues of Counseling and Mediation, (2004-2015)
James P. Coco, CPA. (2007-2015)
Heights Driving School, (2008-2011)
American Dream Mortgage, (2009-2011)
#234 South Court Street: Griesinger Block, 1898
Medina Photo Studio, Carl Householder, Prop. (1940-1963)
1. The latest in fluorescent lighting has been added to the studio which is now on the street floor.
Farmers Home Administration, (1948-1952)
Cleacos Beauty Shoppe, (1948-1952)
Business Men’s Credit Association Adjustments, (1948-1950)
American Cancer Society, Medina County Unit, (1969-1976)
Dana A. Welsh, (1976-1976)
A. H. Dudas Real Estate, (1976-1980)
#234.5 South Court Street: Griesinger Block, 1898
U.S. Soil Conservation Service, (1948-1963)
Hellen B. Riegger, (1948-1956)
A. D. Whipple, (1952-1956)
Production and Marketing Administration, (1952-1956)
Farmers Home Administration, (1952-1956)
AS and C, (1956-1963)
E. England and Associates, (1961-1965)
Russell R. Schoenbereger, (1963-1965)
Medina County Chapter American Red Cross, (1969-1971)
Jamie D. Culler, (1969-1972)
Walter Walters, (1969-1974)
Francis M. Stuart, (1969-1971)
Eric Zimmerman, (1971-1976)
Anthony D’Amico, (1971-1976)
Seth Simmerman, (1974-1976)
#236 South Court Street: Griesinger Block, 1898
Ohio State Liquor Store, (1948-1978)
Ellis Myers Architects, (1981-2006)
Again and Again Consignment (2010-2014)
Antiquations, Eric Schultz, Prop. (2014-2016)
1. Mr. Schultz opened his second store in Medina at #113 West Liberty Street in September, 2016.
The Dress Bridal Boutique, Sara Recker, Prop. (2015-Present)
1. They moved from #241 South Court Street in 2015.
2. The Dress Bridal Boutique was founded by local bridal expert Sara Recker with one goal in mind, "I wanted to bring something to Northeast Ohio that the bridal scene had not yet experienced." The Dress opened in April 2010, bringing a fresh, vibrant, and contemporary shopping experience to the historic town of Medina, Ohio.
#248 South Court Street: The Eagle Hotel,-c.-1850, The Brenner House–c.-1870
1st Floor North side and Basement Shops
Musser Ready-Made Clothing Store, Elias Musser and D. Musser, Props. (1854-1860)
Blackford and Hays Millinery Store, Mrs. Blackford and Mrs. Hays, Props. (1894-1895)
Schuler Barbershop, Henry E. “Cap” Schuler, Prop. (1901-1944)
1. Henry’s first job was with Isaac R. High in the grocery business, leaving that to enter the barber business, which he has followed for 58 years.
Medina Malt and Radio Shop, (1932-1936)
Wideman Electric Shop, (1936–1942)
Cleacos Beauty Shoppe, (1936–1943) (1936–1943)
Cleacos Beauty Shoppe, Miss Irene Kraver, Prop.(1936–1943)
1. From the beginning of history we have heard many songs raising the beauty of my fair lady. We are told of the beautiful Princess of the Nile whose fame has come down through the pages of history for over 3000 years and we have also heard of her beauty secrets. Therefore the art of beautifying is not modern but one of the most ancient ones. Chemists have devoted many years of study to the subject and every new discovery is hailed with delight needless to say, after thousands of years, the secrets of beauty attainment have very nearly reached the heights of perfection and the modern Medina County woman is even more lovely today than was the so thought Cleopatra of so many years ago.
2. A visit to the Cleacos Beauty Shoppe 251 S. Court Street, which is a well-appointed salon, will convince milady that here is a beautician who is equipped, to assist her in bringing out the most of her charms, to bring out and preserve her good looks by simple, natural methods. Miss Irene Kraver, the proprietress, is a Medina county girl, and is seemingly always busy in her chosen profession. There seems to be nothing about her work which she does not thoroughly understand and she is always on the lookout for some additional bit to add to her store of knowledge. Miss Kraver has a most pleasing personality, which goes such a long way in beauty work.
3. She was graduated from the Cleveland Academy of Beauty Culture and has owned her beauty shop for the past six years. Miss Kraver has been chosen the Medina County editor of the Beauty Review magazine which is many things to give to Medina folk through this medium. Telephone Cleacos Beauty Shoppe 3005 or ask Miss Kraver personally. Of what special interest is the Beauty Review to every Medina County woman?
Minnick Beauty Salon, Audrey Smith, Prop. (1943–1945)
Minnick Beauty Salon, Marie Quanti, Prop. (1945-1947)
1. Salon sold to Marie Quanti in 1945.
Nu-Trend Beauty Salon, Margaret Stahl, Prop. (1948–1952)
Quality Upholstery Company, (1953-1957)
Dudas Real Estate Agency, Andrew H. Dudas, Prop. (1958–1966)
Dave Bolton and Associates Photography, (1959-1960)
Art Zay Real Estate (1959-1961)
J. and J. Appliance, (1963-1973)
Blue Room Beauty Shop, (1963–1985?)
Ye Old Western Shop, (1969-1970)
The Clock Shop and Village Printer, (1974-1977)
Little Toot Train and Hobby Shop, (1978-1980)
The Mole Hole, (1981-1988)
Bob’s Happy Wheels, (1985-1987)
Second Avenue Women’s Resale Shop, (1985-1987)
Huneywood Design Studios, (1988-1990)
Strictly Bears and Wears, (1988-1989)
Sports Cards Connection, (1990-1995)
Tandem Trolley Company, (1996-1998)
Let’s Decorate Interiors, (1996-2014)
Simonson Clock Repair, Basement (1995-1998)
The Herb Store, Basement (1999-2007)
Medina Area Kirby Co, (2006-2010)
Simply Charming, (2008-2008)
Perfectly Charming, Betsey Jenny, Prop. (2009–2016)
1. Perfectly Charming is a unique shop brimming with an ever-changing assortment of vintage and painted furniture, unique accessories and inspiring decorating ideas to freshen your home.
Vintage and Painted Furniture, Basement, (2011-2016)
#250 South Court Street: Eagle Hotel-c.-1860, Brenner House Bldg.-1879
Eagle Hotel, Ephraim Brenner, Prop. (1860-1879)
1. In 1860, Ephraim Brenner began the hotel business, and though he was burned out of hotel and business in the great fire of that year, he has been identified with each ever since, building a large brick hotel in 1879. Socially, Mr. Brenner is a genial gentleman, and has a large and intimate circle of friends.
Faust Livery Stables, A. D. Faust, Prop. (1875-1897)
1. Faust operates a livery office with feed and stables at the rear of the Eagle Hotel and carries the mail and passengers to and from the Depot, Hotels, and residences and into the country.
Schlabach Livery and Stables, B. F. Schlabach, Prop. (1897-1900)
Cannon Livery and Stables, Perry Cannon, Prop. (1900-1916)
1. Perry Cannon left livery business “at his barn” in 1916.
Brenner House Rental Apartments, (1879-2016)
1. Ephraim Brenner is putting up an addition to his house to give him room to accommodate his increasing patronage and is well under way in 1877.
2. 1879 - The new Brenner House will be thrown open to the public Saturday evening and E. Brenner and wife cordially invite everyone to come and see them. Price of the supper is 50 cents.
A recent representative list of renters from 1976:
Stanek, Joseph, (1976-1978)
Romanotto, B. (1979-1981)
Erb, Darlene, (1982-1985)
Franz, Daniel, (1982-1985)
Garnes, Keith E. (1985-1988)
Piero, George, (1988-1991)
Piero, Ronald L. (1991-1992)
Foose, Jason E. (1994-1997)
Horton, Keith A. (2002-2002)
Fowler, David, (2011-2013)
Hakorten, Keith, (2012-2013)
#254 South Court Street: Griesinger Block–1917
Erb Meats and Provisions, Andrew Erb, Prop. (1919-1920)
New Medina Market, G. V. Kingsbury, Prop. (1920-1921)
Oatman and Beck Hardware, Albert Oatman and Alvin Beck, Props. (1921-1927)
1. Albert Oatman retired in 1927
Beck Brothers Hardware Store, William “Bill” Beck and Alvin Beck, Props. (1927-1965)
1. Lyman Oatman mentor to his long time employees, Bill and Alvin Beck assisted them in starting their own hardware store in 1921.
2. Enter the store any day and you would be greeted by Bill sitting in front of his huge, oak, roll-down desk.
3. Beck Bros sold their building to Macy O. Hallock for $35,000 in 1948.
New and Used Furniture, (1968-1969)
Akron Beacon Journal Agency, (1974-1977)
Leatherman Clock and Cabinet Maker, D. E. Leatherman, Prop. (1978-1979)
The Armstrong Utilities Cable Store, (1982-1984)
Adorable Pets, (1988-1989)
Fording Frank, (1990-1991)
Village Ceramics and Gifts, (1992-1992)
Association of Computer Consultants, (1995-1995)
Stewart HMS and Deck Company, (1995-1995)
Busy Bodies Dance and Active Wear, (1996-1998)
Medina Trolley’s, (1998-1998)
The Rubber Room, (1999-2003)
Medina United Methhodist Church, (2004-2013)
Castle Noel Registration and Gift Store, Mark Klaus, Prop., (2014–2016)
#256-258 South Court Street: Griesinger Block-1917
Three Store Fronts
Erb Meats and Provisions, A. Erb, Pro. (1918–1919)
New Medina Market, F. E. Averill & Son, Props. C. V. Kingsbury, Mgr. (1919–1925)
H. R. H. Grocery Store, L. J. Walter, Prop., Steve Komjati, Mgr. (1925–1933)
1. H. R. H. Grocery Store established in 1919.
Clark Sweet Shoppe, Norman E. Clark, Prop. (1927–1932)
Unknown Proprietors, (1933-1935)
Betty Jane Dress Shop, Jane Preston and Beulah Ryan, Props. (1936–1939)
Artistic Dry Cleaning, (1939–1940)
Ohio Fuel Gas Company, #256, (1943–1953)
State Employment Services, #258, (1948-1951)
Westfield Inc, #258, (1952-1955)
The Beautorium, Vicki and George Lucas, Props. #256, (1956-1966)
Medina Radio and TV, John Schindelholtz, Leland Codding and Stanley Hall, Props. #258, (1956-1967)
Medina Radio and TV, John Schindelholtz, Leland Codding and Stanley Hall, Props. #256-258, (1968-1994)
Medina United Methodist Church, #256-258, (1995-2014)
Castle Noel Alien Vacation Mini Golf Attraction, #256-258, (2015-2016)
#260 South Court Street: Methodist Church, 1839, 1859, 1897
Medina United Methodist Episcopal Church, (1897–2012)
Reverend John Hazzard, (1830-1832)
1. Methodist church was founded Medina and organized by a Methodist circuit rider Rev John Hazarrd at Linas and Mary Thayer home in 1830.
Reverend H. L. Parish and Rev John Ferris (1839-1840)
1 The first Methodist church was built in 1839 where the Fred Renz and Nathan McClure lots were at the corner of Lafayette Road and South Court Street.
2. Mr. A. Champion gave the Methodists $3000 to build on the Montville end of Medina Village and that’s why it’s so far from town center in 1839.
3. S.G. Barnard taught a normal school in the Methodist chapel.
4. By 1840 there were 80 members of the Methodist church.
Reverend S. M. Beatty, (1858-1859)
1. The congregation outgrew the 1839 church so the second Methodist church was built by W. E. Chidester for $2,000 in 1859 on Main Street on the town hill. They built a white framed church 20’ x 60’ with cushioned seats and clusters of kerosene ceiling lamps and a 23’ high tower after the style of the Presbyterian Church in Seville. S.G. Bunker established a singing school in the basement of the Methodist Church in 1859.
Reverend A. R. Palmer, (1872-1873)
1. In 1872, there was a major renovation of the church where the old pulpit was replaced by new low plain stand, the pulpit platform lowered and hanging lamps were replaced with mirrored side lights, aisles carpeted, seat cushions added and the front steps and walk relayed with pine planks.
Reverend B. J. Hoadley, 1874-1875)
1. 1874 - "Elder Michael Shank, formerly pastor of the Baptist, church of this village and an evangelist of the old school, preached in the Methodist church Sunday evening. After he began to warm up to his work, he announced that he believed in being comfortable and pulled off his coat. It has been a long time since fashionable worshipers had the pleasure of hearing the gospel dispensed with by a man in his shirt sleeves."
Reverend H. L. Steves, (1895-1897)
1. On December 27, 1896 the old frame church was destroyed by fire and they received only $2,500 from insurance.
2. Construction was begun on a new church on April 2 1897 by Glanfield and Company of Detroit for $12,500, and the corner stone from the North Amherst quarry, cut by Frank Worden of Weymouth, was laid on May 20, 1897.
3. "On Sunday, Nov. 14, 1897 the new Methodist Episcopal Church was formally dedicated. Special music was rendered by the choir under the direction of A. M. Pulsifer at both morning and evening services. The morning sermon was preached by Rev. B. Ives, D.D. At the conclusion of the sermon a brief statement was made which showed that there was an indebtedness of $3,500.on the church. When the service closed, however the debt had been raised with a surplus of $1,000."
Reverend R. H. Balmer, (1906-1909)
The Methodist Church wooden steps were replaced with concrete steps in 1906.
Reverend Joseph Kenny, (1931-1935)
1. There was no basement under the main part of the building until 1932, when the church basement was excavated by hand and shovel for a fellowship hall and kitchen. This excavation and the renovation of the entire church were accomplished at a cost of $11,000.
Reverend Glenn Cornell, (1945-1946)
1. In 1945 and 1946 the interior of the church was again remodeled and redecorated at a cost of $11,000.
2. The Methodist Church bought a 20’ strip of land just south of the church property from Earle Gibbs, and then graded it for a driveway which will extend around the church and adding 15 parking spaces in 1945.
Reverend Glenn M. Warner, (1952-1959) and Reverend Thomas Cromwell, (1959-1965)
1. In 1956, 1959 and 1963 more complete renovations of the sanctuary, chapel and education building were completed under the direction of two different ministers at a cost of $170,000.
2. In 1959 the Methodist Church also acquired a rear lot on Broadway Street and the entire south lot at the corner of East Smith Road and South Court Street for additional church parking and 86 daily rental public parking spaces.
Reverend Forest G. Nees, (1965-1969)
1. As a result of a substantial growth in the congregation that now numbers over 1200, the Church was remodeled and expanded west to the front walk in April 1967.
2. Since 1956 a total of $310,000 has been spent on church improvements with no indebtedness.
Dr. David J. Tennant, (2001- 2016)
1. In 2014 the congregation of the Medina United Methodist Church moved to their new church located at 4747 Foote Road, Medina.
Castle Noel Museum and Gallery, Mark Klaus, Prop. (2014 –2016)
#282 South Court Street: Union House Hotel-c.-1856 and 1877
Dennis H. Shaw was the builder and proprietor of the Old Union House Hotel in 1856.
The Union House Hotel, F. Peterson, Prop. (1857–1860)
1. Mr. Peterson kept a tavern in the Old Union House. Old “Peet” Peterson ran the Union House and sold ‘hosses’ on the side.
2. In 1840, William Miller was a tailor in the hotel on the site of the Union House. He married Charley Waters’ daughter, a needlewoman who made many groom’s suits; he died in 1861.
3. Ben Water’s mom and grandfather made clothes in tailor shop in basement in1859.
4. Deacon Jesse Harrington, Temperance lecturer spoke here in1859.
The Union House Hotel, George Moody Shaw, Owner, (1860s
The Union House Hotel, F. Peterson, Prop. (1860–1864)
1. Old “Peet” Peterson ran the Union House and sold ‘hosses’ on the side.
The Union House Hotel, Dennis Shaw, Prop. (1864-1889)
1. Dennis A. Shaw (noted violinist) bought and refurbished the Union House Hotel in1868.
2. Dennis Shaw bought the old church that stood where Judge McClure’s house is now and moved it to the rear of the Union House Hotel. He turned it into a dance hall for regular after supper entertainment of his patrons.
3. 1877-D. H. Shaw is getting his foundation stone from Weymouth Quarry and making the other preparations for building a new hotel on the site of the present house at the foot of Court Street hill. He proposes moving the wings of the present structure built in 1856 back out of the way, and occupying them as a dwelling while he erects the new building. The upright part of his present house will be elevated and otherwise remodeled, to fit the new part to be put up. It will be a good and needed improvement.
4. The Union House is a large and handsome structure at the corner of Smith Road and South Court Street and has 22 fine sleeping rooms. The parlor, dining room and office are pleasantly located on the ground floor. The dinner table is famous for the bill of fare and the House is conducted in a manner to insure the perfect comfort of all guests. The rates are only $1.00 a day, but the service and accommodations are equal to those of many higher priced houses.
5. Albert Curtiss has a new shop in Union House basement for harness work in 1880.
The Union House Hotel, N. E. Shaw, Prop. (1890–1891)
1. 1890 - "The Union House Hotel has recently passed under new management. N. E. Shaw, a well-known business man of Lodi, being at the head of the establishment."
The Union House Hotel, Arbor A. Gish, Prop. (1891–1893)
1. Mr. Gish, the popular landlord, has had long experience in the hotel business, having conducted a house in Steubenville, Ohio and a restaurant in Cleveland prior to coming to Medina. After running the Union Hotel from 1891 to 1893, he conducted the American House in this city and he is widely known to the traveling public.
2. Mr. Gish is a native of Litchfield and previous to entering the hotel business; he had a livery stable and was engaged in jobbing and contracting. He is an amiable gentleman, courteous and obligating to all and he is much pleased at the efforts that are being made to promote the growth and importance of Medina.
The Union House Hotel, Martha J. and Perry Cannon and Son, Props. (1894-1897)
1. Perry Cannon was a Civil War veteran and owned a 133 acre farm in Montville Township.
The Union House Hotel, Mary A. and W. H. Zimmerman, Prop. (1897–1898)
1. W. H. Zimmerman, well known as the ex-superintendent of the Medina County Infirmary, has leased the Union Hotel for a period of three years.
2. Perry Cannon left Union Housel in 1897 and Zimmerman transferred the lease to Mary Gish in 1898.
The Union House Hotel, Arbor A. Gish, Prop. (1898–1901)
1. Traveling men and the people of Medina County who have occasion to visit the county seat have greeted with pleasure the return of Mr. A. A. Gish to the proprietorship of the Union Hotel, which he conducted so successfully from 1890 to 1893. Mr. Gish resumed the management of the House on September 1st last, and signalized the event by thoroughly and completely renovating, re modeling, refitting and refurnishing it with entirely up-to-date condition, and the success with which he is meeting in securing increased patronage is highly gratifying.
2. A fat jolly lady chef who knew many of her guests tastes in the early days and who liked to season foods generously, presided over the kitchen. Her cooking brought in capacity crowds of diners at 35 to 50 cents per head.
3. The room rate was $1 a single and $1.25 for a double room. The rooms had wall to wall carpeting, a wash stand and other conveniences.
4. The hotel had a livery stable annex where salesman covering the county, and other guests, could hire well-groomed houses and black shinny rigs at from $1.50 to $3.00, depending on the amount of time they were out.
The Union House Hotel, Charles S. Litchfield, Owner, (1901-1910)
1. Mahala Litchfield interest in hotel to sold to son Chas S Litchfield 42 $1600 in 1900.
2. Charles Sumner Litchfield came to Medina in 1901 and bought the Union House Hotel that his grandfather Dennis Shaw once owned and operated it until 1910.
3. Union House Hotel rooms were papered, new furniture added and a new awning placed across front in 1900.
The Union House Hotel, W. H. Floyd, Prop. (1902-1903)
1. W. H. Floyd rented the Union House to C.S. Litchfield in 1902.
The Union House Hotel, Charles S. Litchfield, Prop. (1904-1906)
The Union House Hotel, Mallie E. and Nelson Elan Shaw, Props, (1906-1908)
1. Nelson was a harness maker and brother to former owner Dennis Shaw.
The Union House Hotel, Mary C. and James G. Mohn, Props. (1909-1910)
The Union House Hotel, A. R. Bixler, Prop. (1911-1917)
1. Charles S. Litchfield sold the Union House Hotel property to Albert R. Bixler for $1700 in 1910.
2. Albert R. Bixler bought the hotel furnishings from James Mohn.
The Union House Hotel, Harlan L. Keman, Props. (1917–1920)
1. H. M. Bixler sold the Union House Hotel to Harlan L. Kernan and B. O. Inman in 1917.
The Union House Hotel, George Huffman, Owner, (1920–1923)
1. Inman and Kerman sold Union House to George Huffman of Weymouth in 1920.
The Union House Hotel, L. J. Flickinger, Prop (1920 -1922)
1. L. J. Flickinger lease of the Union Hotel expired in 1922,
2. L. J. Flickinger proprietor of Union House Hotel bought the Mohn Hotel aka Monitor Hotel on North Court Street in1924.
The Union House Hotel, Mrs. George Huffman and Sons, Props. (1922-1924)
1. Mrs. Geo Huffman and 2 sons will manage the Union House Hotel while George remains on the farm.
The Union House Hotel, Mrs. R. E. Nurse, Owner, (1924-1926)
1. Mrs. R. E. Nurse, divorced wife of George Huffman, owns the property and she will take possession.
2. Mrs. R. E. Nurse, proprietor of the Union House Hotel was arrested for selling illegal liquor in 1925.
The Union House Hotel, Nettie and Andrew Johnson, Owners, (1926-1928)
1. Mr. and Mrs. A. M. Johnson renovated the Union Hotel and hired Chef V.J. Porpiglia in 1928.
The Union House Hotel, F. W. Cook and E. A. Shaffer, Props. (1928-1933)
1. Mrs. Nettie Johnson leased the Union House Hotel to F.W. Cook and E.A. Shafer of Akron, who will make improvements and will open it again.
The Union House Hotel, Nettie and Andrew Johnson, Owners and Props. (1934-1943)
1. Mrs. Johnson, the owner in 1943, bought it in 1924 and has operated or leased the Union House Hotel since then.
2. Nettie and Andrew M. Jackson, a loadmaster at AC&Y railroad, lived at the Union Hotel in 1941.
3. In 1938, Dining room service was given up.
4. In 1943, ill health caused Mrs. Nettie Johnson to close the Union House Hotel.
Vacant Building, (1943-1946)
1. In 1943, Earl Gibbs bought the property from Mrs. Nettie Johnson and will have a used car lot there after the war.
2. It has been a hotel for about 80 years, originally owned by Dennis Shaw who added the east and south wings to his 1854 residence to make a hostelry.
3. The 25 rooms once did a flourishing business after WWI. As many as 30 people were turned away in a given night.
4. Under the contract with Earl Gibbs, A.R. Egner bought the building and has 2 years to remove it.
5. Egner plans to dismantle the building and build two houses on East Smith Road with the timber.
6. The Gibbs lot is 53’ x150’.
7. The Union Hotel is for rent by A.R. Egner, a furnished hotel style with a good location for a rooming house and restaurant in 1943.
8. On July 11, 1944, a public auction was held at the Union House Hotel.
9. A. R. Egner to auction all furnishings; 20 beds, cots, bath tubs, screen doors, iron sinks, good linoleum, 15 awnings, a baby grand piano that’s 100 years old, wash bowls, 12’ marble bar, an old chicken house and a 4 car garage, 16’ x 40’.
Gibbs Motor Used Car Lot, (1946-1956)
Prackup Motors Used Car Lot, (1956-1960)
Medina United Methodist Church, (1959-2013)
I. In 1959 the Medina United Methodist Church acquired a rear lot on Broadway Street and the entire south lot at the corner of East Smith Road and South Court Street for additional church parking and 86 daily rental public parking spaces.
Heintzleman Chevrolet-Oldsmobile, Inc. Used Car Lot, (1960-1962)
1. Heintzleman leased the lot from the Medina United Methodist Church.
Century Ford, Inc. Used Car Lot, (1974-1977)
1. Century Ford leased the lot from the Medina United Methodist Church.
Castle Noel Museum and Gallery Parking Lot, Mark Klaus, Prop. (2014–2016)
Standard Oil Service Station, Wesley R. Kemp, Prop. (1958-1980)
Standard Oil Service Station, Steve Toth, Prop. (1981-1985)
Busy Bee Muffler Center, Craig, George and Bill, Props. (1985-2016)
#302 South Court Street: Fenn Stables, 1882, Gibbs Bldg.-1936
Fenn Livery and Feed Stables, Reuben C. Fenn, Prop. (1882-1897)
1. In 1880, R. C. Fenn was a farmer, in 1882 a liveryman and he retired in 1910.
Fenn Livery and Feed Stables, Reuben C. Fenn and son, H. M. Fenn, Props. (1898-1901)
1. Reuben C. Fenn sold his livery business to his nephew Charles M. Fenn in 1901.
Fenn Livery Stables, Charles M. Fenn, Prop. (1901-1903)
1. Irena Huffman sold lot #50 and part of lot # 51 to S.J. Smith for $385 in 1869 and S. J. Smith sold the lots to R. C. Fenn for $850 in 1901.
2. Charlie rented out horse and buggy rigs and also kept a stylish Coach for funerals and to meet the old B. & O. Trains.
3. An important part of the livery stable business was boarding horses for town residents and visitors to Medina. The price was $3.00 a week for three feeds a day with hay on the side, and a fresh straw bed and daily currying.
4. Charles Fenn had 3 livery stables, one on North Court Street, one at American House Hotel and one at East Smith Road across from Union Hotel where he kept 12 horses and occasionally brought unbroken mustangs from western Ohio, tamed and trained them in a bull pen at rear of stable.
Arick Livery Stables and Barn, W. Clifford Arick, Prop. (1903-1906)
1. Reuben C. Fenn sold lot #50 to W. C. Arick in 1902 for $1400.
2. W. C. Arick barn addition on South Court Street is “L” shaped to the south and west and will extend to South Court Street where the entrance will be in 1903.
3. W.C. Arick sold livery barn on lot #32 to George E. Warren for $1500 in 1902.
4. Charles C. Robinson bought livery stock of W. Cliff Arick in 1906.
Robinson Livery Stables, Charles Curtis Robinson, Prop. (1906-1912)
1. Occasionally the drummers hired spring wagons for hauling their sample wares of dry goods, hardware and gent furnishings.
Miller and Collin Implement Company, W. A. Miller and A. W. Colin, Props. (1912-1915)
1. Miller and Collin implement business, fence posts and sanitary closets moved to C.M. Fenn building vacated by C.C. Robinson, will remodel in 1912.
2. In 1915, Miller and Collin built platform in the angle of their warehouse that corner of East Smith and South Court and it covers a hole that has long been an eye sore.
3. Miller and Collin, bankrupt, dissolved in 1915.
1. E. F. Neumeyer sold corner lot # 50 to Edward C. Rolph in 1917.
Gibbs Motor Company, Edward C. and Earl B. Gibbs, Props. (1920–1931)
1. Edward and Earl Gibbs bought lot 50 from Edward C. Rolph, raised the livery stables land and built a brick building for their auto sales and repair business at the corner of South Court Street and East Smith Road in 1919.
2. Edward Gibbs opened a dealership of Oakland and Chevrolet automobiles in the old Robinson livery stable in 1920.
3. Edward C. Gibbs passed away in 1931 and Brother Earl Gibbs bought his partnership share in Gibbs Motor Company.
Gibbs Motor Company, Earl B. Gibbs, Prop. (1931-1956)
1. Charles Davis’s blacksmith shop building was sold to Gibbs Motor Company for a body shop and the lot adjacent on the east of the blacksmith shop building for $12,000 in 1938. The added frontage extending more than 100’ on East Smith Road in 1938.
2. Gibbs Motor Company enlarged their showrooms in 1923 and 1925 and added a large electric sign in 1929.
3. Gibbs Motor Company has eight salesmen in 1937.
4. Gibbs Motor Company added a concrete block building with a Quonset roof, 20’ x 36’, for truck lubricating and undercoating, just east of their showroom in 1946.
5. Norris Welton and Jerry Whittenberger, WWII veterans, operate a coin Laundry at Gibbs Motor Company in 1946.
Prackup Motors, James Prackup, Prop. (1956-1960)
Heintzleman Chevrolet-Oldsmobile, Inc. (1960-1962)
1. Dealership moved to Pearl Road and Fenn Road in 1962.
Medina Tire and Auto Supply, Goodrich Prop. (1963–1968)
C. and L. Power Equipment, Ceylon Leohr, Prop. (1969-1970)
Friendly Medina Shell Gas Station, (1971-1985)
Medina Shell Auto Care Station, (1985-1997)
Herold Family Shell, Inc. (1998-2007)
Get-go Shell Station, (2008-2016)