South Court Street/West #229-#325
#229 South Court Street: Bostwick Bldg.-1851, Oatman Block-1872
Bostwick Tin and Stove Shop, Charles E. Bostwick, Prop. (1851-1860)
Bostwick Meat Market, Charles E. Bostwick, Prop. (1860-1867)
1. Orlin and Simon S. Oatman bought the lot of Charles E. Bostwick for $450 in 1867.
Oatman Brothers Meat Market, Simon “Slim”, Orlin and Lyman Oatman Sr, Props. (1867-1870)
1. The Oatman Brothers Meat Market was totally destroyed in the village fire of 1870.
Oatman Meat Market, Simon “Slim” S. Oatman and Orlin Oatman, Props. (1872–1884)
1. Oatman Brothers built a new building in 1872. A galvanized iron cornice on S.S.Oatman’s new building by Cramer and May of Akron is a different pattern from others in town, immediately admired.
2. 1872—Oatman Brothers store is now open and everyone stopped by to buy steaks. The new store has walls wainscoted 4 feet up from the floor, a grained meat rack and marble-top counters, sawdust on the floor and everything very clean. They have a stock of 3000 pounds of meat for sale, a big stock for one store.
Oatman Meat Market, Orlin Oatman, Prop. (1884-1894)
1. Brother “Slim” S. Oatman moved to Berea, Ohio and opened a meat market in 1884 while still holding a non-working interest in the Medina market.
Oatman Meat Market, Albert Oatman and Simon “Slim” Oatman, Props. (1894-1913)
1. In 1894 Simon Oatman returned to Medina to become a partner with his son, Albert Oatman, since the business has grown to such a proportion that a partner was needed.
2. Simon Oatman formed a partnership with a Mr. Hedges and moved the meat market to #30 West Side of Public Square in 1913.
People’s Market and Grocery Store, Mary and Peter Muzzyla, Prop. (1914-1922)
1. The business was assigned to Arthur VanEpp in 1922 and sold to F. Marko 1922.
People’s Market and Grocery Store, F. Marko, Prop. (1922-1931)
Tintsman Electric Company, E. H. Tintsman, Prop. (1932-1933)
1. The Tintsman Electric Business moved to the Griesinger Block at #228-236 South Court Street in 1933.
Rothackers Market, Oscar and Ted Rothacker, props. (1933-1936)
Sailer’s Men’s Shop, John Sailer, Prop. (1937-1949)
1. Ellen Sailer sold the clothing business to clerk, Ralph Morton in 1949.
Morton and Lutz Men’s Wear, Ralph Morton and Ted Lutz, Props. (1949-1958)
Morton’s Men’s Ware, Ralph Morton, Prop. (1958-1965)
Fashion Wear House Receiving Room (1966-1971)
All Sport Store, Jim Variotti, Prop. (1972-1990)
1. All Sport was the main sports store in Medina in this era. The All Sport Store was where people bought their first pair of Nike shoes, track shorts and other athletic accessories.
All Sport Store, Peter King, Jr., Prop. (1991-1999)
1. In 1991, the business and the building were acquired by the Peter King family.
2. In 1999, All Sport Store closed when Peter King Jr. joined his father’s business.
Treasured Friends Country, (2000-2007)
1. Treasured Friends Country struggled to stay alive in the dark economic downturn.
Davinci Floors and Granite, Susan Byrs, Prop. (2007-2018)
1. Currently in 2011 the King family own the building and the business is individually run by a store owner.
Nibble Food Shop, Melissa Ziogas, Prop. (2018-Present)
1. Located in Medina's Historic District, Nibble features gourmet food and gifts. A store for the food enthusiast, it is home to relishes, sauces, jams and jellies, cooking oils and vinegars, slow cooker sauces, and candy, as well as cookie, bread and soup mixes from a variety of brands
2. Nibble Gourmet Foods moved their business from 102 West Washington Street of 400 square feet to 2,200 square feet of delectable gourmet food and unusual gift items at 229 South Court Street.
3. Melissa Ziogas also owns The Raspberry and The Rose boutique, just a few doors down from Nibble on South Court Street in Medina.
#229.5 South Court Street: Oatman Block, 1872, 2nd Floor
Marjorie L. and William Watson Foley, (1937-1938)
Lucille and Thomas S. Haight, (1937-1938)
Margaret, (Cleacos Beauty shop operator) and Joseph Fodor, (1938-
James Todd, (Dunn and Bradstreet Salesman), (1938-
Mary C. and Merle E. Wunderlich, 2nd Floor, (1948-1950)
Lauretta O. and John J. Sailer Jr. (1948- 1955)
Virginia and Jack H. Anderson, ( 1950-1952)
Frances Hartman, (1952-1955)
Frank J. Mora, (1952-1955)
Ellen Sailer, (1952-1955)
Robert E. Norton, (1955-
Nelson D. Secaur , (1955-
Evelyn M. Hall, (1966-1978)
Ora Henry, (1966-1969)
Karen Jesiolowski, (1969-1971)
1. In 1972 part of the living space on the 2nd floor was made into a single upstairs loft.
2. The second floor loft became a part of the 1st floor business in 1978.
#233 South Court Street: Mechanics Block-1870
Built by John Renz, Ephriam Brenner and Andrew Griesinger. This Block includes two main store fronts. The first housed Renz and Brenner Harness and Saddle Shop (#233) and the second, Griesinger Shoe Store. (#239). The brick was furnished by E. Hale of York Township and the roof was tin. It is thought the 1870 fire began in this area.
Rettig Saddle, Harness and Trunks, John A. Rettig, Prop. (1842–1865)
1. Cash paid for hides, calf and deacon skins, sheep pelts, fox skins and coon skins.
2. John Renz came to Medina in 1852 and learned the trade of harness-making from John Rettig.
Renz and Brenner Harness and Saddle Shop. John E. Renz and Ephriam Brenner, Props. (1865–1893)
1. Ephraim lived at home until he was 16 years of age; he then apprenticed to the harness and saddle business with John A. Rettig, of Medina.
2. Ephraim formed the partnership of Renz and Brenner, and purchased the business of Mr. John A. Rettig whom they formerly apprenticed to and have conducted the business since.
3. 1n 1872 Renz and Brenner, harness makers, dealer in hides and furs, also leather and harness makers and hardware; employ twelve hands; business this past year, $10,000.
4. In 1874 Renz and Brenner in addition to harnesses saddle and collars etc. have trunks, whips, robes, plastering hair and blacking. Will pay the highest market price for Deacon Skins (a skin from a calf less than 8 pounds weight) and for hides, pelts and furs.
5. A stuffed horse with saddle and reins stands in front of Renz and Brenner’s shop in 1882.
6. "A business change that will cause more than the usual surprise in the dissolution of partnership of Renz and Brenner. This firm has been one of the old landmarks of the village, having been in existence now for over a quarter of a century, and always doing business at the old stand. Fred Renz will be associated with his father in the new firm."
Renz Harness and Saddle Shop, John E. Renz and Son, Fred Renz, Prop. (1893–1936)
1. Lyman Oatman’s 1st class meat establishment was in the basement of the Merchant’s block on the west side of Court just a little south of the square.
Berry and Ritter Hardware and Tin Shop, Barbour L. Berry and Charles Ritter, Props. (1936-1959)
Berry and Ritter Sheet Metal and Roofing, Thurston E. Berry and Boyd L. Berry, Props. (1959–1994)
1. Barbour Berry's sons Thurston and Boyd Berry took over the sheet metal business upon the retirement of their father and Charles Ritter in 1959.
Classics, Peter and Joanne King, Props. (1994-2000)
1. In 1994, the King family purchased the building at #229 South Court Street from Thurston E. Berry and opened a retail clothing store called “Classics”.
Dandy Lion Clothing and Gift Co. (2000-2006)
All Fired Up, Amanda Cook Hudak (2006–2018)
#233.5 South Court Street: Mechanics Block-1870
Dozzle Barber and Hair Dresser Shop, A. A. Dozzle, Prop. (1875-1880)
Y. W. C. A. Office and Club Rooms, (1932-1936)
1. The board voted to accept this location over Renz Leather Store for their much needed new office and club rooms. The Swastika club will occupy the large front room and the two smaller rooms will be the Y. M. C. A. office and an attractive dining room for lunches and teas..
R. J. Sedgwick, (1948-1952)
Ronald Buford, (1953-1956)
Carl T Earl, (1961-1966)
John Mullins, (1969-1972)
Frank Yoder, (1976-1978)
Robert Sanford, (1985-1988)
Bryan Smith, (1985-2000)
#239 South Court Street: Bostwick Block-1842, Mechanics Block-1870
In 1842, the Bostwick Block was built by Charles Edward Bostwick and the Contractors were Barney Prentiss and Manville.
The Mechanics Block was built by E. Renz, E. Brenner and A. Griesinger. This Block includes two main store fronts. The first housed Renz and Brenner Harness and Saddle Shop (233) and the second, Griesinger Shoe Store. (239). The brick was furnished by E. Hale of York Township and the roof was tin. It is thought the 1870 fire began in this area.Bostwick Tin Shop, Charles Edward Bostwick, Prop. (1842–1861)
1. The Bostwick Tin Shop and building was a total loss in fire in 1848.
2. Charles E. Bostwick lived in Medina from 1840-1897 and was Postmaster in 1861.
Prentice Shoe Store, Barney Prentice, Prop. (1842-1848)
1. Barney Prentice ran a successful shoe store on the Square, and it was in his establishment in the Bostwick Block, the 1848 fire (the first of Medina’s two devastating fires) was believed to have originated.
2. Barney Prentice moved to #205 South Court Street after the fire and formed a partnership with Mr. Rice.
Otto Boots, Shoes and Gailers Store, A. Otto, Prop. (1850-1854)
Wertheimer Jewelry, Clocks and Watch Dealer, M. Wertheimer, Prop. (1854-1857)
Blackford Boots and Shoes Store, C. Blackford, Prop. (1857–1861)
Griesinger Shoe Store, Andrew Griesinger, Prop. (1861–1894)
1. In 1872, Andrew Griesinger, dealer in boots and shoes, manufactured during the past year sold about 1,000 pairs of boots and also ladies' leather shoes; He has been in business 10 years, first year's sales, $2,000, the past year's sales, $12,000.
Pictured in doorway of the shoe store: L/R Unknown employee, Louis W. Hammerschmidt and Andrew Griesinger, Proprietor
Griesinger Shoe Store, Christian Griesinger and William Griesinger, Props. (1894–1920)
1. Andrew sold his stock of boots and shoes, book accounts and merchandise and notes to his sons on April 10, 1894.
Pictured in doorway of the shoe store: Christian L. Griesinger Proprietor and son, Charles Hewes Griesinger
Griesinger Shoe Store, Christian L. Griesinger and Charles H. Griesinger, Props (1920-1942)
Griesinger Shoe Store, Charles H. Griesinger, Prop. (1942-1954)
1. Berea flagstones were placed in front of the Mechanic’s Building in 1871, and curbstones were sunk two feet and posts for the railing were sunk three feet.
Griesinger Shoe Store, Clarence and Zelma Allison, Props. (1954-1967)
1. Allison’s moved their Shoe Store to the new Medina Shopping Center on North Court in 1967.
Medina Antique Store, Paul and Jane Konicki, Props. (1968-1986)
The Heirloom Cupboard, Jane Riegger, Prop. (1987-2001)
1. Heirloom Cupboard moved here from #45 South Public Square in 1987.
Scott Hughey, (2002-2002)
J. C. Crafters, (2003-2003)
Crafters Closet, (2004-2009)
Labyrinth Management Group, Leslie and Lance Travis, Props. (2006–2018)
1. SIMS Lead Auditor, Compliance Assurance, Air Quality, Contaminated Site Solutions, Due Diligence, Waste Management, Water Quality, Worker Exposure, Compliance/Risk Identification, OH&S Programs, Green Growth Strategies, OH&S Management
2. On November 6, 2007, the Medina County Department of Planning Services presented the 1st ever Green Building award to LMG in recognition of the company's commitment to the environment and sustainable redevelopment in Medina City. LMG renovated an 1870 historic building on the Square in Medina City using green design techniques that incorporated many energy efficient, recycled, and environmentally-safe products.
#239.5 South Court Street: Bostwick Block-1842, Mechanics Block-1870
Snell Billiard Room, “Pop” Snell, Prop. (1875-
Laura Lee Beauty Shoppe, (1933–1940)
Mrs. Marie Hanshue (1948-1952)
Cleacos Beauty Shoppe (1952-1971)
#241 South Court Street: Seaton’s Old Stand-c.-1859, The Tap Room Bldg.–c.-1874
Seaton Family Grocery, R. P. Seaton, Prop. (1859-1868)
Mrs. Letterly Saloon, Christina Letterly, Prop. (1869-1874)
1. Also known as Francesca Letterly, she changed to her middle name Christina in the census records.
2. Local bars, or "tippling shops" as they were sometimes called, were places that were targeted by the Women's Temperance League of Medina. The organization made several trips to Mrs. Letterly's. On the first visit, Mrs. Letterly facetiously agreed to stop selling liquor - if the organization would reimburse her for all of her alcohol.
3. The Temperance League returned twice more to sing hymns and pray outside of the saloon. Upon their final visit, Mrs. Letterly finally gave up her resistance. When the virtuous Prohibition women raised the money to buy Mrs. Letterly's alcohol, the bar was converted into a restaurant. Meanwhile, the League took Mrs. Letterly's liquor and poured it out in the street gutters.
4. But the story ends with a note on the value of community during this time period. Because the Temperance League was so grateful to Mrs. Letterly, they wanted to repay her for her sacrifice of alcohol sale; this was probably where most of her business had come from. On Decoration Day, the women organized a sort of recognition dinner for Mrs. Letterly in her restaurant, where new customers came to honor her and buy 75¢ meals.
Letterly Restaurant, Christina Letterly, Prop. (1874-1878)
Winch Restaurant, W. H. Winch, Prop., (1879-1885)
Hill Saloon, Mary and Joe L. Hill, Prop. (1886-1908)
Nelson's Candies and Nuts Shop, Andrew J. Nelson, Prop. (1909-1931)
1. A. J. Nelson moved from the Greisinger Block to the Winch store room across street now being remodeled for the popular candy man in 1909.
Waltz Ice Cream Store and Lunch Room, J. L. Waltz, Prop. (1909-1912)
1. Waltz shared building space with Nelson Candies and Nut Shop to 1912.
Square Deal Fruit and Vegetable Market, (1931-1934)
Pelton Grill, Ernie Pelton, Prop. (1938-1944)
1. More history lurks under the surface. In a four-foot-tall, all-dirt basement, a sealed hatch door is apparent, with steps that lead up to open it. Before the addition of a back room, the hatch was an exterior cellar entrance. In the Grill-Tap Room era, kegs were thrown down this opening to be stored in the basement.
Medina Tap Room, R. A. Davis, Steven Jones and Floyd Pelton, Props. (1945-1976)
1. The Medina Tap Room has been described as a pretty unsavory place! With the red and green flowered curtains, covered with water spots, that didn't quite fit the windows of the little restaurant. Inside there was a pool table, a bar directly to the left, and a walled-in alcove in which beer kegs were kept.
Granger Antique Store, Paul and Jane Konicki, Prop. (1977-1987)
Mud Mothers Pottery Shop, Elaine Lamb, Prop. (1988-1999)
1. Elaine Lamb founded Mud Mothers Pottery in 1975. She and a friend, Sarah Jane Ingraham, were both mothers of young children and were both drawn to the delights of turning mud into beautiful pots. Eventually, the friend moved on to other interests, but pottery became Elaine’s passion and life’s work.
Bill Lamb (2000-2000)
Get All Fired Up, (2002-2007)
Creame de la Creame LLC, (2009-2010)
The Dress Bridal Boutique, Sara Recker, Prop. (2011-2015)
1. They moved to #236 South Court Street in 2015.
The Raspberry and The Rose, Melissa Ziogas, Prop. (2015–2018)
1. Moved her store from #102 West Washington Street.
#245 South Court Street: Seaton Bldg.,-1868
Seaton Family Grocery, R. P. Seaton, Prop. (1868-1873)
1. Seaton Grocery Store moved one door south from “Old Stand” at #241 South Court Street in 1868.
Family Grocery and Supply Store, Mrs. Emma McClure, Prop. (1873-1874)
1. Reed Seaton’s daughter, Emma McClure who had worked with her father in his grocery business for many years took over the business in 1873.
Family Grocery and Supply Store, W. E. Sargent, Prop. (1874-1881)
1. Having recently purchased the store of Mrs. Emma McClure, I will keep on hand a full line of standard groceries of the best quality.
2. D. H. Bachtell has purchased the Grocery Store of W. E. Sargent in 1881.
D. H. Bachtell Grocery and Supply Store, (1881-1908)
Medina Quick Shoe Repairing, Louis Bifulci and Son, Props. (1910-1923)
Gordon Shoe Repair Shop, Lewis Gordon, Prop. (1924-1933)
1. Moved from Bishop building on North Court in 1924
2. Bankrupt, sold to Cleveland ‘factory repair’ shop in 1933
Busy Bee Shoe Repair, Jim Aronica, Prop. (1948–1954)
1. W. D. Lose sold B&L 5 cents to $1 store to Jim Aronica proprietor of Busy Bee Shoe Store since 1943, will operate both 1954.
Dudas Real Estate and Insurance Agency, Andrew H. Dudas and Harold D. Rodgers, Agents, (1958-1959)
Vogue Kitchens, Elmer Vunderrick, Prop. (1959-1959)
Medina Linoleum and Tile, (1959-1960)
State Farm Insurance Agency, (1961-1963)
Medina Upholstery and Furniture Repair, G. W. Gump, Prop. (1965-1966)
Health and Welfare Center, (1967-1970)
Associates Financial Services, Inc. (1971-1979)
James L. Rench, Attorney, (1982-1985)
Neil R. Chrystal, Attorney, (1982-1985)
Edward G. Kemp, Attorney, (1982-1985)
Roetzal and Andress, LPA, (1982-2005)
R/C Hobby Shop, (not 85) (1988-1992)
Mapcom Systems Inc OH, (1993-1993)
Joy of Stitching, (1995-1996)
Loved Once Again, (1998-1998)
Wee Wear by the Square, (1999-2000)
Oh Sew Heavenly (2004- 2004)
Sydney’s Studio (2005-2007)
Vacation Travel, Joann Mary Vrona, Prop. (2005-2010)
Medina Monuments (2009-2011)
Scapegoat Tattoos, (2012-2018)
#251 South Court Street:
Smith Clothes Pressing and Repair, Charles Smith, Prop. (1936-1940)
M. O’Neil Company, (1948-1954)
Gorfido Brothers, (1955-1956)
Arthur Zay Real Estate, (1963-1968)
James Gorfido Real Estate, (1968-1969)
James H. Podolny Company, (1972-1974)
W. Denny Robertson, MD and Roy Miller, MD, (1977-1979)
Heritage Court, (1982-1984)
State Farm Insurance Agency, 1984-1986)
Gracie’s Studio of Hair, (1993-1995)
Leann’s Originals Bridal and Tux, (1996–2001)
ADT Inc, (1998-1998)
Natures Décor, (2002-2003)
H&R Block Medina, (2005-2010)
Allure Studio and Spa, (2009-2009)
Square 42 Salon and Spa , Yolanda Cantrell, (2010--2018)
1. We are a full-service salon- Hair, Skin, Nails and Massages
#253 South Court Street: Basement
House of Hair, Donna Ferrell, (1971–1975)
Ah-La Carte Studio of Hair, (1976-1978)
Rolling, Hocevar and Associates, (1982-1997)
Koval and Associates, (1983-1985)
Synercom Technology Incorporated, (1983-1985)
Nucor U S, (1992-1994)
R C D Tech Services, (1993-2002)
Condata Inc, (1998-1998)
Natures Décor, (2000-2001)
L X Design, (2002-2003)
Creativity to Go Inc. (2004-2008)
Half Moon Yoga, (2016-Present)
If you are interested in learning some basic yoga, getting a great workout, or developing a meditative practice, Half Moon Yoga has something for you.
#257 South Court Street: Hanshue Bldg.-1914, Garrett-Wilson Bldg.-1948, Town Hill Bldg.-1970
Hanshue Auto Company, Charles and Stephen Hanshue, Props. (1914-1915)
1. Charles Hanshue established Hanshue Auto Company selling Willys-Knight and Overland automobiles in 1914.
2. Oatman Hardware tin shop at rear of Mrs. Lyman Oatman’s residence is now a sales room and repair shop for Hanshue Auto Company.
3. Hanshue Auto Company moved to a new building at #119 North Court Street in 1915.
Oatman Hardware Tin Shop, (1916-1924)
1. Oatman Hardware tin shop is in a frame building at the rear of Mrs. Lyman Oatman’s residence.
O. R. Dague Oldsmobile Agency and Service Station, (1925-1927)
1. The Dague Oldsmobile Agency and Service Station moved to the Oatman garage at rear of Mrs. Lyman Oatman’s residence.
2. Frenfelt and Uren leased part of the O. R. Dague building for a Chandler Agency in 1925.
Barr Medina Body and Fender, (1927-1928)
Medina Body Works, Walter Vedder, Prop. (1928-1945)
1. Ernest “Pete” Hanshue Prompt Auto Service sold to Medina Body Works which will employ Hanshue in 1937.
2. Mark E. Hazen the owner and proprietor, leased the building to Walter Vedder 1940
3. Walter F. Vedder’s Medina Body Works is tearing down the old frame building and Mark Hazen is building a new one: one-story 50’ x70’ with no posts of any sort, a brick front and concrete block sides with rear 8 ½ ‘ windows..
4. Walter F. Vedder, owner of Medina Body Works garage was registrar of motor vehicles in 1945; aluminum window salesman from 1934 to 1946;
5. Walter Vedder’s auto license bureau moved in 1945.
6. Medina Body Works sold business to Everett Wilson and Lindsey Garrett now Garrett-Wilson in 1945.
Garrett and Wilson Dodge and Plymouth Dealer, (1945–1955)
1. Garrett-Wilson bought the Medina Body Works in 1945.
E. J. Wilson and Company, Inc, Dodge and Plymouth Dealer, (1955–1958)
1. Everett J. Wilson bought out Lindsey Garrett interest in the Dodge and Plymouth Agency in 1955.
2. E. J. Wilson Dodge and Plymouth dealer remodeled the building in 1955,
3. A fire destroyed the one story cement building built in 1929 and four cars in 1957.
Payne Auto Sales, (1959-1960)
Town Hill Motors, Glenn Rych, Prop. (1961-1965)
1. Town Hill Motors, which opened for business four years ago on South Court Street in Medina, suspended operations last weekend. Glenn Rych, president of the concern, will devote his time to local operation of the G. and L. Leasing Company, while Larry Kulp, Vice President and service Manager, is joining Cal Wible, Inc., as service manager.
Courtesy Chrysler Plymouth Corp, Joe Booth, Chuck Carroway and Geo Krosky, Props. (1965-1967)
Schreffler Chrysler Plymouth 1967-1970.
Leisure Group, (1971-1973)
Blazon Flexible Flyer, Inc. (1971-1974)
In 1973 the building was completely remodeled from a commercial structure to designed office space.
Town Hill Professional Building Offices, Amos Mears, Prop. (1974-2016)
Ronald S. Ricci, DDS, Inc. (1975-1994)
Lawrence Kassouf, DDS, Inc. (1975-1994)
DeLorre S. Haddad, DDS, Inc. (1978-1982)
Jeffrey L. Morehead, OD, (1978-1982)
William A. Evanko, DDS, (1978-1982)
Lewandowski, Veres and Company. CPA, (1978-1982)
Kohanski and Associates, AIA, (1978-1984)
Kohanski, Ronald W. Architect and Associates, (1985-2010)
H. L. Mast, MD, (1978-1982)
Brinskelle, Linda R., CPA, (1981-1981)
Kus, Steven D., CPA, (1981-1981)
Mesek, Mary L., CPA, (1981-1981)
Fuller, D. S. DDS, MS, (1981-1981)
Kramer, G. E. DDS, (1981-1985?)
Marco and Associates, Attorneys, (1985-1987)
1. Richard J. and Richard J. Jr. Marco and Prudence Spink.
2. Marco and Associates moved their offices to 52 South Public Square in 1987
Lawrence Jadrych, CPA, (1985-1992)
Christopher Space, DDS, (1985-1992)
Hours Inc. Temporary, (1988-1990)
Yoder, Lois J., Attorney, (1988-1991)
Pinkerton, Donald, MD, (1988-1993)
Schirripa, D. J. DDS, (1988-1993)
White, Jeffrey J. DDS, (1991-1992)
Gorsek and Company, CPA, (1992-2001)
Heck, Jill R., Attorney, (1994-1996)
Southwest Insurance Associates, (1995-1996)
Goodwill Industries, (1995-1998)
Kube and Grubb, Attorneys, (1996-1996)
Medina Alliance Fellowship, (1996-2000)
Sloboda Office Supply, (1996-1997)
Johnson and Johnson, (1999-2000)
State Farm Insurance, (1999-2001)
Western Reserve Legal Services, (1999-2001)
Buckminster, Fuller, Sado and Zung Architects, (1999-2009)
Special Markets Sales, Inc, (2000-2001)
Best Messenger Service, (2000-2001)
At Work of OH, (2002-2003)
Community Legal Aid Services, (2002-2003)
Stubbendieck Chiropractor and Rehab Center, (2002-2016)
George Innovations Group, Inc, (2003-2016)
Rolling and Hocevar, Inc, (2003-2016)
Assured Leasing, (2005-2006)
HHL Group LLC, (2005-2016)
Infovue Net, (2005-2016)
Columbia Cummings LMT, (2009-2016)
Lyons Share Marketing Group, (2016-Present)
#259 South Court Street: Front Lot, Oatman House, 1865
Edward J. Fenn Residence, (1865-1866)
J. W. Robinson Residence and Rental Property, (1866-1890)
1. Dr. W. H. Peck was a renter pre-1870 where Mrs. Oatman lives in 1890.
Lyman and Alice Oatman Residence and Rental Property, (1890-1928)
1. Alice Louisa Oatman a twin of Alvin N. Robinson came to Medina in 1861 and married Lyman Oatman in 1872,
2. Lyman and his brother Orlin owned the Oatman Hardware store from 1871-1908, then just Lyman until his death in 1913; Alice took over as proprietor from 1913-1928, while her son-in-law was manager. Alice died in 1928.
3. Lyman Oatman added a 10’ two story addition to rear of his house in 1904.
4. C .R. Warner family was a renter on second floor from 1911 to 1913.
5. Ida V. and William Baish, a butcher at S. S. Oatman Meat Market rented rooms at the Oatman house from 1914 to 1916.
6. In 1913, Lyman Oatman, the hardware dealer, had two Newfoundland dogs named Brough and Tige at his residence.
7. M. L. Crofoot rented rooms at the Oatman house from 1917 to 1919.
8. Mrs. W. H. Zimmerman occupied rental rooms vacated by M. L. Crofoot in the Oatman house from 1920 to 1922.
9. W. G. Garges, a manager of the order and billing department at A. I. Root Company to Oatman apartments from 1922 to 1923.
10. Carl Barnhardt occupied rental rooms from 1923 to 1928.
C. I. Englert Rental Property, (1928-1936)
1. The Oatman estate sold the property to C I. Englert in 1928.
2. J. H. Adams rents the 2nd floor from 1929 to 1930.
3. Arthur Mullen, Builders Supply truck driver renter from 1930 to 1935.
4. Margaret Thomas, renter from 1936 to 1940.
5. Barbara Heintzleman, renter from 1940 to 1942.
6. S. A. Gacse and Maynard Steffen renters from 1942 to 1943.
Mark Hazen Residence and Rental Property, (1937-1947)
1. The Hazen property formerly known as the Lyman Oatman property which includes the large home occupied by the Hazen family and Walter F. Vedder and also the shop occupied by Medina Body Works has been sold to Winifred and Earle Gibbs in 1945.
Walter F. Vedder Residence, (1943-1947)
1. Jessie May and Walter Vedder came to Medina in 1926.
2. Walter F. Vedder, owner of Medina Body Works garage was registrar of motor vehicles in 1945; aluminum window salesman from 1934 to 1946;
3. Walter Vedder’s auto license bureau moved in 1945.
4. Walter F. Vedder’s Medina Body Works is tearing down the old frame building and Mark Hazen is building a new one: one-story 50’ x70’ with no posts of any sort, a brick front and concrete block sides with rear 8 ½ ‘ windows..
5. Vedder sells all weather aluminum storms and screens in 1946; sells household goods and moves in1947.
Garrett and Wilson Dodge and Plymouth Dealer, (1945-1955)
1. The old frame two stories Oatman house was demolished to make way for a large concrete building to house the sales rooms and Body Shop of the Garrett and Wilson Dodge and Plymouth Agency in 1948.
Go to #257 South Court Street for proprietors after 1955.
#261 South Court Street: Frazier Residence,-1910
William G. Frazier Private Residence, (1910-1925)
1. William G. Frazier was born in Sharon in 1861. Moved to Medina 1910; died in October, 1936. Owned and operated the Liberty Street Service Station and a machine shop.
Merlin Seymour, renter, (worked at Pelton’s Bakery) in (1925-1926)
Turner Tea Room, R. W. Turner, Prop. (1926-1928)
1. Tea room first door north of the Ford garage for rent fully equipped, rooms up for 5 beds for tourists, ½ of barn for garage in 1926.
2. R. W. Turner rented the W.G. Frazier home and will open a tea room there in 1926
Prescott Maternity Home/Hospital, L. H. Prescott, Prop. (1928-1930)
Mrs. Florence Stephens, renter, (1931-1936)
Feckley Auto Sales, Inc Used Car Lot, 1937-1972)
1. Mrs. W. G. Frazier sold to Feckley Auto Sales her lot just north of Feckley Garage; Frasier home dismantled and lot will be for Feckley used cars in 1937.
Century Ford Sales, Inc. Used Car Lot, (1973–1977)
Halleen Ford, Inc, C. Halleen, Prop. Used Car Lot, (1978-1981)
1. Buildings were demolished and legal preparation began for a public parking lot.
Public Parking, Lot 4, (1985-2018)
#269-271 South Court Street: Feckley Bldg.-1929
Kimmell Ford Auto Agency, Roy E. Kimmel, Prop. (1914–1926)
1. Roy E. Kimmel built a garage building to occupy as a Ford Agency in 1915 that would be the first automobile dealership in Medina.
Maxwell Ford Auto Agency, M. G. Maxwell, Prop. (1926-1929)
1. Roy E. Kimmel sold his Ford Agency to M. G. Maxwell in 1926.
Feckley and Sweeny Auto Sales, Inc, Frank E. Feckley and Arthur W. Sweeny, Props. (1929–1943)
1. Frank E. Feckley, Sr. purchased the Kimmel Ford Dealership in partnership with A. W. Sweeny in 1929 and was a very civic-minded proprietor in Medina for 43 years.
2. Fred Hard Jr. auto painting, washing and repair shop left the Ford garage in 1933.
3. Frank E. Feckley was claimed to have taken the last horse in Medina in a $15 trade on a $199.70 car in 1934.
Feckley Auto Sales, Inc, Frank E. Feckley, Prop. (1944-1972)
1. In 1943, Frank Feckley dissolved his partnership with A. W. Sweeny and became the sole proprietor of the Ford dealership in Medina.
2. Roy E. Kimmel sold the building and garage to Frank E. Feckley in 1945.
Century Ford Sales, Inc. (1973–1977)
Halleen Ford, Inc, C. Halleen, Prop. (1978-1981)
1. Buildings demolished and legal preparation for parking lot.
Public Parking, Lot 4, (1985-2018)
#275 South Court Street: Frasier Bldg.-1918
Addie Burt Residence, (1909-1916)
Addie Burt sold property to W. J. Frazier in 1916.
New Medina Garage, R. A. Loehr, Manager, (1917-1927)
1. New Medina Garage Reo and Maxwell Automobile Agency moved from N. Court Street to here in 1917.
2. In 1918 a large brick garage was built at #275 South Court Street for auto sales and service business.
Henry Predmore Garage, Robert Henry, Prop. (1928-1931)
1. Predmore-Henry Company leased building to Floyd Ganyard, but not including the bowling alley space in 1932.
Medina Recreation Parlors and Bowling Alley, Sherle McNeal, Prop. (1930-1933)
1. Sherle McNeal built a four lane bowling alley that was attached to the south side of the Feckley Building in 1930 and leased by W. J. Frazier.
Ganyard Buick Sales and Service, Floyd Ganyard, Prop. (1932-1938)
Medina Recreation Bowling Alley, Sherle McNeal and John Moxley, Props. In Annex, (1933–1936)
1. In 1933, John Moxley became a partner in Medina Recreation Center.
Medina Recreation Bowling Alley, John Moxley, Prop., In Annex, (1936–1938)
1. It is a lot of fun from every angle to open the evening at the Medina Recreation Company, where the four,
alleys are kept busy continuously with bowling pins, players and fast rolling balls. Bowling is a healthful
recreation, as well as a favorite form of sport. Commonly inactive muscles are brought into play, rich, red blood is swept into proper channels, and one's complexion takes on an added; glow after a zestful turn at bowling,
2. And here in Medina is an attractively equipped recreation room where; so many of Medina's youngsters,
and oldsters, too, if the truth is desired, congregate for an overlying’s entertainment, a relaxation after a
day's steady grind at required duties performed. It is interesting to know that there are eight ladies teams
playing here weekly. There are approximately sixty women bowlers in town.
3. The Medina Recreation company is located at 275 S. Court and is ably managed by John Moxley, a Medina county boy, born and raised, who, this year, leased Sherle McNeal’s half-interest in the bowling alleys, and is carrying the entire enterprise alone most successfully. During a number of interviews made by the Who's Who editor in Medina County, a number of Medina's outstanding men have proudly attended to the fact that they were backing one of the bowling teams on the Medina League and this week's Who's Who feature page carries the story of the man whose team won last year's loving cup. And was he proud when, relating the fact?
4. John Moxley is kept busy at this season of the year. There seems to be never a dull moment from the time the alleys are opened until he calls it an evening fully spent. Bowling, as well as being a healthful diversion from, a day’s labors, encourages the true meaning of sportsmanship, stimulates true friendship
Medina Recreation Center and Bowling Alley, Thomas Haight, Prop., In Annex, (1938–1961)
1. Thomas S. Haight in 1938 bought Medina Recreation Center from John Moxley.
2. The six lane bowling alley was attached to the south side of the Feckley Building and the pins were manually set by pin-setters in 1946.
3. Haight moved his bowling alley to 678 Lafayette Road in 1961.
Ganyard Motors Studebaker, Floyd Ganyard, Prop. (1939-1946)
1. Floyd Ganyard changed his dealership to Studebaker from Buick in 1939 when Frank Bond acquired the Buick dealership for the Medina area.
2. Frank Feckley bought the building just south of his Ford garage from Mrs. Genevieve A and W. G. Frazier now occupied by Ganyard Motors Service and the Medina Recreation bowling alleys for expansion, and will occupy when the present lease runs out in May, 1946.
1. Buildings were demolished and legal preparation began for a public parking lot.
Public Parking, Lot 4, (1985-2018)
#277 South Court Street: Sprankle House, c.-1880
1. #277 is a Small yellow Greek revival style house with a circa 1880 second story porch with Victorian gingerbread. The 2nd floor exterior has original siding. Owner can rent a 3 room apartment on 2nd floor.
2. The 1st floor was a retail Store with a 4 room apartment at the rear for rent, also 3 rooms apartment with a bathwas above garage at rear in 1935.
Charles M. Fenn Residence, ( 1900-1910)
1. Ora V. Neumeyer sold the unit to Daniel W Sprankle in 1923.
2. Sprankle Wall Paper also purchased the Ora.V. Neumeyer block in 1924.
Sprankle Wall Paper House, John W. Sprankle, Prop. (1916-1922)
Web Sprankle Wall Paper House, Daniel Webster Sprankle, Prop. (1923–1935)
1. Sprankle Wall Paper House sells wallpaper from 12 ½ cents per roll on Tuesdays and gives purple stamps in 1927.
Medina Wall Paper Store, Anna and Frank Blazek, Props. (1935-1936)
1. Medina Wall Paper also makes and sells Singercraft rugs in 1935,
Dr. J. M. Gilbert, Optometrist, (1936-1937)
Medina Wall Paper Store, Lydia B and Clarence Reinheld, Props. (1936-1944)
Rose Upholstery, Arthur Rose, Prop. (1939-1942)
1. Arthur Rose purchased the unit with apartments and office/retail store, north of the #281 Neumeyer Block from Dr. J. M. Glibert as rental property in 1938.
Rose Upholstery building sold to Mrs. O.V. Neumeyer, who will make the building into a rental dwelling in 1942.
Ruby Halfpenny, (1942-1944)
Alan R. and Pearl Root, (farmer), (1948-1952)
Betty J. and Richard D. Kisner, (sales with Wallace Implement Co. (1948-1952)
Floyd Chapman, (1960-1963)
Hazel and Charles Pendleton, (?-1960)
Ladies Alterations, Lois Kimball, Prop. (1963-1978)
Fred W. Riffner, (1963-1978)
Shey Bradley, (1981-1981)
Coblentrz Terry E, (1989-1991)
Brandyberry Lynn, (1992-1992)
Brown, Edward S, (1993-1993)
Keaton, L, (1999-1999)
Davis, Shane E, (2000-2000)
Vacant, (2001- 2016)
#281 South Court Street: Tousley Shop, 1854, Neumeyer Bldg.-1903
Site of Welling Tannery until 1838 and during the building of the Neumeyer Block in 1903 men dug up old vats, hides and tan bark all in good state of preservation where they had lain undisturbed for 65 years.
Tousley Marble Shop, H. G. Tousley, Prop. (1854-1860)
1. Tousley moved his shop here from #205 South Court Street in 1854.
2. H. G. Tousley had a gravestone and marble shop on the opposite corner west of the Union Hotel at the foot of the hill in 1855.
3. McSweeny and McElhenny, attorneys, in 2nd floor office over Tousley Marble Shop in 1855.
1903 Ora Neumeyer bought the corner lot opposite the Union hotel on South Court from George High and Levet and Waters Company will erect a building to include a bowling alley in the basement, a store room on street level, with 2nd and 3rd floors on the plan of an apartment house, each floor containing two suites of 4 rooms each.
Neumeyer Apartments, (1903–2016)
1. In 1903 the first apartment house in Medina was built by Mr. O. V. Neumeyer, an insurance man, on the northwest corner of South Court Street and West Smith Road.
2. He and his wife lived in one suite, a relative lived on the third floor, and the other three apartments were rented.
3. The Neumeyer Apartment building sustained a $1200 fire in 1929, with most of the damage to the top floor. Fireman fought the fire for over one hour.
Henry C. Hull, (1929-1932)
Hull was Manager at American House Hotel in 1929.
Lucy E. and John Williamson, (1929-1953)
1. John was agent for Northern Ohio and AC&Y Railroad for 30 years.
Matilda Lackey, (1930-1933)
County Employment Office, (1937- 1938)
Stella and Bailey, (1938-1938)
Margaret and Fred D. Myers, 1938-1942)
1. School Superintend in 1916 moved to apartment vacated by Bailey in 1938.
Jane Overholt residence, (1939-1942)
Bertha Newmeyer, (1943-1952)
May H. and Orlin V. Neumeyer, (1948-1952)
1. Apartment in the Newmeyer Block has 5 rooms unfinished with no pets or kids rents for $70 per month in 1954.
Mike Rose of Washington Properties purchased the Neumeyer Block in 2013
#301 South Court Street: Hickox Shop, 1846
Hickox Bros Brick Shop, Carl and William Hickox, Props. (1846-1868)
1. Building built by Rounds Brothers at planing mill for Joseph Manning’s ax factory.
2. Hickox planning mill smokestack blew down in a storm in 1880.
Hickox and Son Planning Mill and Manufacturing Plant, William Hickox and Son, Brad Hickox, Props. (1868-1885)
1. Hickox Brothers planning mill was a factory run by Ebenezer Manning who came to Medina in 1832, went to the California Gold Rush in1849 and never returned.
2. S. Beedle sold to William Hickox to manufacture agricultural implements in1868.
3. In May 1868 William Hickox of Lafayette moves machinery here and opens a plant to manufacture sashes and blinds.
4. William Hickox and Son factory has a steam whistle that blows three times a day in 1869.
5. Medina’s first steam whistle at Hickox Brotherspresented by the citizens of Medina to blow three times a day 1869.
6. William Hickox and Son plant now a two story brick and frame building, 48’ x 58’.
7. Hickox Brothers shipped 400 dozen headless pokes and have orders for many more in 1880.
8. Carl W. Hickox sawmill and lumberyard was on site of the AC&Y RR depot in 1885.
9. William Hickox son Brad left the business and Medina area in 1885.
Hickox Sawmill and Lumberyard, Carl Hickox, Prop. (1885-1894)
1. Sawmill and Lumberyard was on site of the AC&Y RR depot in 1885.
2. In 1941, Carl Hickox’s (a cabinetmaker with brother William Hickox),brick house on South Court Street torn down to make room for AC&Y depot.
Adams and Clark Marble Works, (1894-1906)
Medina Marble Works, H. W. Adams and Son, J. Harry Adams, Props. (1906-1913)
1. Harry W. Adams and son J. Harry Adams bought Granite and Marble from Adams and Clark and it became Medina Marble Works in 1906 for $6000.
2. Harry W. Adams was a skilled artificer partner with Dan Hemmeter in 1923.
3. George F. High and Harry Adams are members of the new marble firm at the corner of South Court and West Smith Road.
4. Medina Granite and Marble sold lots #2 and #3 to Caroline and I. H Rickard in 1916.
Medina Granite and Marble Works, Charles W. Lawrence, Sr., Prop. (1913-1927)
1. Charles Lawrence a young carver had been in Cleveland, working on the city hall construction, when asked to do the short chore at the Abbeyville Church.
2. Taking over the Medina Granite and Marble Works, Lawrence became an independent businessman in 1913. Prior to that, the English-born craftsman had applied his trade with his father in England, then in New Brunswick, Canada and later in Barre, Vermont.
3. Charles Lawrence purchased the business from H. W. Adams in 1913 and in 1927 moved business to #127 West Smith Road.
South Court Street looking north to Uptown in 1917
Standard Oil Service Station, (1927-1948)
1. Standard Oil Company bought the Medina Monumental Works property for a gas filling station in 1926.
Standard Oil Service Station, M. M. Whitmore, Prop. (1948-1952)
Standard Oil Service Station, Paul Crocker, Prop. (1952-1958)
Standard Oil Service Station, Wesley R. Kemp, Prop. (1958-1980)
Standard Oil Service Station, Steve Toth, Prop. (1981-1985)
Busy Bee Muffler Center, Craig, George and Bill, Props. (1985-2018)
#305 South Court Street: Medina Railway Depot
Pittsburgh, Akron & Western Railroad, (1881-1895)
1. In 1881, long before the incorporation of the AC&Y, the Cleveland Delphos and St. Louis Railroad were projected as part of a major narrow-gauge trunk line. Various changes in name, ownership and purpose ensued until the railroad was completed as the Pittsburgh, Akron and Western Railroad from Delphos, Ohio to Akron.
2. In 1885, the 100 foot high Pittsburgh, Akron and Western Railroad trestle was built to traverse the River Styx Road ravine three miles east of Medina. Several men in Weymouth worked for the local King Iron Bridge Company by 1885
3. Though, the sale of its predecessor the Pittsburgh Akron & Western Railroad had taken place almost a year early through foreclosure. Incorporation of the Northern Ohio Railway took place on August 10, 1895.
Northern Ohio Railway, (1895-1920)
1. In 1895, the line became the Northern Ohio Railway, a subsidiary of Lake Erie and Western Railroad (then controlled by the New York Central Railroad (NYC). The line was not successful and was considered the most superfluous railroad constructed in the State of Ohio.
2. In 1895, the newly formed Northern Ohio Railway issued $2,500,000 of 5% First Mortgage Gold bonds, due 1945, to retire the securities of the former Pittsburgh, Akron and Western (PA&W) Railroad
3. Through a purchase of majority stocks of the Lake Erie & Western Railroad, the New York Central Railroad acquired the Northern Ohio Railway in 1899.
4. From the beginning of the acquisition, the New York Central never wanted or cared for the Northern Ohio Railway. Between 1904 and 1912, after many years of neglect, the New York Central Railroad had to provide some necessary maintenance and improvements to the Northern Ohio. The Vanderbilt’s would attempt to sell the Northern Ohio many times over the next several years.
Akron, Canton & Youngstown Railroad, (1920-1964)
1. The Akron, Canton and Youngstown Railroad, which had its slogan, “Ohio’s Road of Service”, was a 171-mile single track railroad. It ran east-to-west from Mogadore to Delphos, across the northern tier of Ohio. Planned extensions to Canton and Youngstown were never built.
2. Organized in 1907, the AC&Y began as a 7½-mile terminal operation, the vision of Akron industrialists Zeb Davis, H. B. Stewart, and F. A. Seiberling.
3. The AC&Y was built to very high standards between 1911 and 1913. The rubber boom generated substantial new rail business. The road began operations with a fleet of five new Steam Engines and a modest fleet of new freight cars.
4. In May 1913, William Sabin and 2 other bridge carpenters jumped from a high trestle west of Akron to avoid an oncoming train and all 3 died from the fall into the ravine below.
5. On August 21 1917, Angelo Bifulci was killed by freight train ½ mile east of the big trestle east of Medina.
6. In May of 1920, the AC&Y Railway purchased the portion of the Northern Ohio Railway from downtown Akron to Copley Ohio. Having further negotiations with the Lake Erie & Western (NYC), they leased the remaining route from Copley to Delphos Ohio. The AC&Y Railway operated the Northern Ohio until they consolidated with it in 1944.
7. Always well managed, efficient and financially viable, the AC&Y was recognized as the most profitable Class I railroad in the country during the 1920's.
8. In 1929, total employment on the AC&Y-NO was 746. By 1933, it had been reduced 68% to 443.
9. Unable to meet their financial obligations in April 1933, the AC&Y-NO soon after filed voluntary petitions for bankruptcy protection under Section 77 of the Federal Bankruptcy Act.
10. On June 28, 1934, Stanley Gilbert Funk owner of the Median Restaurant on West Washington Street jumped to his death from the 100’ RR trestle on River Road near Sam Ingham’s property.
11. The Northern Ohio Railway addition also furnished the AC&Y a 25% ownership interest in the Akron and Barberton Belt Line Railway, which served numerous industries in the Akron–Barberton freight district.
12. The AC&Y and Northern Ohio formally merged in 1944.
13. With prosperity came an upgrading of the Northern Ohio Railway property and acquisition of new locomotives and rolling stock and the last steam engines retired in 1955.
Norfolk & Western Railroad, (1964-1982)
1. In 1964, the AC&Y was merged into the Norfolk & Western Railroad System. While included in the Norfolk & Western merger the AC&Y was kept independent and locally operated.
2. To win the support of online shippers, AC&Y purchased 600 new boxcars and 100 new covered hoppers, plus adding some 600 open hoppers for stone traffic. The N&W also upgraded much of the AC&Y from Akron to Carey. At the time of the N&W merger, there were 415 AC&Y employees, 10 cabooses, 18 diesel locomotives counting four leased and 1,951 revenue freight cars including 1,126 leased. Principal commodities were coal, stone and manufactured products, namely rubber goods.
3. The AC&Y Railway operated autonomously in this relationship with Norfolk & Western for almost two decades. In 1982, the Norfolk & Western, along with the Southern Railway, merged into the Norfolk Southern Corporation and dissolved the AC&Y Corporation.
Wheeling & Lake Erie Railroad, (1982-2018)
1. The remaining portion of the AC&Y east of Carey, Ohio is now operated as part of the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad.
2. Major AC&Y shippers included Youngstown Sheet & Tube, General Tire, Goodyear Tire & Rubber, Minnesota Mining (3M), Diamond Crystal Salt, Babcock & Wilcox, Columbia Chemical (PPG), H.W. Madison Pickle Company, National Lime & Stone, Wyandotte Stone, Central Ohio Electric Co-op, Ohio (beet) Sugar, United States Steel, Robinson Clay Products, Mohawk Rubber, Ball Brothers, B.F. Goodrich, Oglebay Norton, Rubber City Sand & Gravel, A.I. Root Company, Continental Baking, Firestone Tire & Rubber, Motor Wheel, Copperweld Steel, A.E. Staley and others.
#321 South Court Street: Wood Bldg.-1883
B. H, Wood Company, Baxter H. Wood, proprietor, (1883-1911)
1. Baxter H. Wood, a merchant, came to Medina from Richfield, Ohio in 1872, with his wife Celia and son Harry O. Wood and founded B. H. Wood Company, a planning mill and lumber Company at 525 West Liberty Street.
2. Baxter H. Wood Company put an elevator in his flour and feed store run by horse power in cellar, carries grain from a hopper in cellar to the upper story 1883.
3. B. Gable is miller at B.H. Wood Company in 1899.
4. B. H. Wood Company incorporated into The Wood Company in 1901,
5. Medina Milling Company sold a large elevator, mill buildings, a house, barn and shed on west-side of South Court Street on lots 7,8,9,10,11near the Northern Ohio Railroad Depot to F. L. Harding for $6,350 in 1904.
6. The Wood Company bought Lots 7,8,9,10,11 and all the buildings thereon from F. L. Harding for $6350 in 1904.
7. A new Wood Company elevator was installed on Lots 7 and 8 on west-side of South Court Street in 1904.
8. Sam Burgin moved his old iron, junk and scrap business from Wood Company lot to his own lot west of Northern Ohio Railroad crossing on West Smith Road in 1904.
9. The B. H. Wood Company elevator near the Northern Ohio Railroad tracks was sold to Seth Swain for $4500 in 1911
Medina Farmers Exchange Company, Isaac H. Rickard, President, (1907-1918)
1. Seth Swain sold the old B. H. Wood Company elevator No. 2 on South Court Street to Medina Farmers Exchange, including 5 lots and buildings from the west side of South Court Street to Mill Alley at rear in 1912.
2. Since the destruction of the old plant on the east-side the Medina Farmers Exchange has continued its business, with more or less of a handicap, particularly in the feed grinding end of the business, in the elevator on the west side of the street.
Farmers Exchange Motors, Inc., Fred Snyder and Albert Snyder, props. (1918-1935)
1. In 1918, the Snyder brothers built a large brick garage on the west side of South Court Street to be used for automobile sales and service.
2. A new garage 110’ x 60’, a one story building on the west side of South Court Street at 321 was built by the Clement Concrete Company at the Medina Farmers Exchange Co. for Fred and Albert Snyder who are majority owners in 1935.
Sam and Fred Auto Repair, Tires and Batteries, Sam Uren and Fred Grenfell, Prop. (1935-1936)
1. Sam and Fred’s Garage moved to a building on South Elmwood in 1936 from the west side garage of Medina Farmers Exchange.
Farmers Exchange Motors, Inc., Fred Snyder and Albert Snyder, props. (1936-1947)
1. In 1937, the automobile business was separated from the parent company and incorporated as a separate entity.
Medina Farmers Exchange Pontiac Dealer, (1947-1949)
1. Medina Farmers Exchange to sell Pontiac automobiles across the street at #321 South Court Street in 1947.
Medina Farmers Exchange Cadillac and Pontiac Dealer, (1949-1956)
1. In 1949, the Cadillac lines of automobiles were added to the dealership.
Wible Pontiac-Cadillac, Inc., Calvin D. Wible, prop. (1956-1961)
1. Calvin Wible, a native of Conneaut, Ohio and previously employed as manager of the General Motors franchise in Conneaut purchased the Medina franchise on January, 1, 1956.
2. Mr. Wible graduated from Ohio State University in 1949 with a Bachelor of Arts degree and in 1950 received a master of business administration degree.
3. In 1961, Wible Pontiac-Cadillac, Inc. moved there dealership 2 miles east on Route 18 to the corner of Nettleton Road.
#309-311-313-315-317 South Court Street:
Formerly West-side Farmers Exchange Bldgs.