West Friendship Street:

North Court Street west to North Elmwood Street

#109 West Friendship Street: Louis Hammerschmidt House, 1905

Louis W. and Lovina Hammerschmidt Residence, (1905-1928)

1.  His business tendency was shown in his earlier years, for a while yet in his teens he learned the shoe maker’s trade in the shop of A. Griesinger, father of Charles L. when boots and shoes were made to order and by hand.

2.  For a number of years he enjoyed the unique distinction of being bootmaker for a giant; the late Captain M. V. Bates, of Seville, as well as for other people.

 3.  Louis was a far-seeing and progressive spirit as shown by his financing the purchase of the business now known as the Hammerschmidt Floral Company 27 years ago, from the late Charles Hobart.

 4.  For many years Louis was a member of the Medina Fire Department and served several terms as a councilman.

Lovina Hammerschmidt Residence, (1928-1949)

1.  Lovina Hammerschmidt was the daughter of Alvah and Sarah Washburn well known Medina residents and widow of Louis W. died here in 1949.

M. O. Hallock Properties, (1941-2004)

1.   Macy O. Hallock purchased part lot #139 from the Hammerschmidt estate

Business address changed to #209 North Court Street:

Open Pantry Food Mart, (1966–1988)

Open Pantry.jpg

City of Medina Municipal Court, 2nd floor, (1971?

Fire destroyed Muni Court in ??

Dairy Mart, (1988-1997)

Vacant, (1998-2004) 

Rite-Aid Pharmacy, (2005-Present)

 

#113 West Friendship Street: W. Hammerschmidt House, 1913

William L. Hammerschmidt and Pearl S. Hammerschmidt Residence (1913-1926)

1.  Almost as well-known as his knowledge of flowers was William Hammerschmidt’s affection of United States and foreign postage stamps and his collection attracted visitors to the Medina Florist shop.  His collection of stamps was one of the most extensive in the state.

2.   An accompanying long interest in geography occupied much of the leisure time of the businessman

2.   An accompanying long interest in geography occupied much of the leisure time of the businessman

Marshall G. Maxwell Residence, (1926-1929)

1.   Ella Pearl and Marshall G. Maxwell (Owns Ford Dealership) move into former Hammerschmidt house in 1926.

Dr. Marlon E. Garver, office and residence, (1929-1931)

C. Tilton, renter, (1932-1934)

Raymond B. Bennett, renter, (1934-1935)

Pearl S. Hammerschmidt Residence, (1935-1974)

1.   Pearl was a school teacher at Medina High School for 50 years.

Sarah Hammerschmidt Ritter Residence, (1974-1976)

Hallock, Inc Realty, (1976-1997)

 

#116 West Friendship Street: Free Oil Bldg.-1935

Free Oil Company, George Mellert, Prop. (1935-1945)

1.  The Free Oil Company on North Elmwood Street adjacent to the old interurban station on North Court Street sells the property in 1935.

 2.  Company will move other part back on property to #116 West Friendship Street and excavated for a new 32’ x 110’ fireproof, brick office and storage space in 1935. 

Free Oil Company, Ray Mellert, Prop. (1946–1985)

City of Medina Property, (1985-Present)

 

#117-121 West Friendship Street: Hammerschmidt Bldg.-1904

Hammerschmidt and Clark Flowers and Greenhouse, William L. Hammerschmidt and Norman E. Clark, Props. (1901-1924)

1.  Charles F. Hobart sold his Hamm Floral Company 1000 square foot hot-house to Louis Hammerschmidt; he will be assisted by his son William and Norman Clark, 17 year old High School students in 1901.

2.  Ransom Bernard sold his lot #139 to Louis Hammerschmidt for $2100 in 1904. Louis Hammerschmidt than sold the lot he bought from Ransom Bernard to Hammerschmidt and Clark, the florists who will build a green house on it 1904.

3.  The house at #113 West Friendship Street was raised on lot #139. The Hammerschmidt lot is now 85’ wide and extends clear across the west-end of the Bernard property in 1904.

4.  William Hammerschmidt and Norman Clark purchased a greenhouse from A. I. Root and moved it to their new lot on Friendship Street in 1904.

5.  Byron F. Hobart sold his lot #136 facing North Court Street to Hammerschmidt and Clark for $300 in 1906.

6.  Hammerschmidt and Clark operated a floral store branch on West Market Street in Akron, Ohio for 15 years until 1924.

7.  William’s brother, E. C. ‘Pete’ Hammerschmidt, Medina Fire Chief in 1951-1952 entered the business in 1914.

8.  Ethel M. and Norman E. Clark sold their one-half interest in the floral business to William L. Hammerschmidt in 1924.

Hammerschmidt Floral Company, William L. Hammerschmidt, Prop. (1924-1955)

1.  By 1927, the Hammerschmidt greenhouse had been expanded to over 13,000 square feet

2.  William’s daughter, Sara Hammerschmidt entered the floral business in 1938.

3.  Irvin A. Northrop a piano tuner that lives over the Hammerschmidt greenhouse at age 72, was found dead by Will Hammerschmidt who had taken him to an egg supper; autopsy found a house thermometer, a large iron spike, hat pins and a tuning fork all tied with a cord in his stomach in 1950.

4.  Hammerschmidt sold his greenhouse and floral business to Guy Penrose in 1955, since it was now cheaper to buy flowers from wholesalers in the Southern states than to grow them locally.

Hammerschmidt Floral and Greenhouse, Ethel L. and Guy Penrose, Props. (1955-1964)

1.  Ethel L. and Guy Penrose will move the floral business to their residence down the street at the corner of Elmwood Street and will build a small display greenhouse and office in 1964.

2.  Hammerschmidt greenhouse was dismantled by Carl Einheit and he will use the salvage for an addition to the Cloverleaf greenhouse in Chatham in 1965.

 

#125 West Friendship Street: Hammerschmidt House-1908

Addie Jackson owned the lot in 1900.

1.  Louis Hammerschmidt built the house at #125 West Friendship Street in 1908.

2.  John R. Moore, renter (Union delivery man and Medina Mayor) (1914-1916)

3.  Mary Kimball took up residence with renter John Moore in 1915. 

4.  John Huffman sold the house to Elva L. and Bion Huntley for $1550 in 1916.

Elva L. and Bion Huntley, residence, (1916-1918)

1.  G. S. Dunn, renter, (1918-1920)

Trustees of the Baptist Church Baptist Parsonage, (1920-1977)

1Bion Huntley sold the rental property and house to the Trustees of the Baptist Church for a Baptist parsonage for Rev. A. Irwin in 1920.

Reverend A. Irwin, (1920-1923)

Reverend C. E. Bacon, (1928-1930)

Reverend George W. Bates, (1933-1945)

2.  The First Baptist parsonage exterior was shingled and the interior was remodeled in 1941,

Reverend James H. Comstock, (1946-1950)

Reverend R. Kenneth Smelser, (1951-1972)

Reverend William F. Russell,  (1973-1977)

John and Mary Klatka Residence, (1978-1993)

1.  Mary Klatka sold the residence to Virginia Churgovich in 1993.

Roger and Virginia Churgovich Residence, (1993-Present)

 

#126 West Friendship Street: Water Tank,-1882, Standpipe,-1892, Water Works Bldg.-1906

1.  The first water tank was a wood tank of 1700 barrel capacity built in 1882 and became the village of Medina first pumping station from 1882-1897.

2.  1882 - The workmen on the stand pipe have in use a very novel staging.  It is made of barrels on the top of which is the stage platform. As it becomes necessary to raise it, water is pumped into the lower portion of the stand pipe by which means the barrel staging is floated and the men are enabled to continue their work.

3.  Contractors drilled to 100' at this location and struck two water streams in 1896.

4.  Contractors pulled down old water tank in great crash and built a new one in 1897.

5.  In 1897, wood water pipe was laid from the pumping station on South Broadway Street at Champion Creek north through Public Square to the new standpipe being built on West Friendship Street.

5.  The new standpipe was built for $2598 in 1897 and was removed in 1954.

Medina Waterworks, (1906-1948)

1.  Medina Waterworks building built by George Gruninger for $8000 in 1906.

2.  A new 1-story concrete block building 26' x 42'was built by Levet and Waters for $763 to house village machinery and tools in 1915.

3.  In 1922, the office personnel of Medina Water Works moved from the Town Hall location on Public Square to the concrete building erected 6 yrs ago here.

Medina Waterworks, Ira Messinger, Manager, (1949-1965)

1.  City owns a house at the rear of the building that is beyond repair and need $1000; should be razed to make room for a garage for water department vehicles in 1955.

 

#131 West Friendship Street: Koehler House,-1913

C. H. Albert, renter, (1913-1916)

Mary and H. Frank Handy (sign, carriage painter), (1916-1918)

M .G. Adams, renter, (1918-1927)

H. C. Brunskill, renter, (1928-1930)

Harry Wright, renter, (1930-1932).

 H. A. Kirkpatrick, renter, (1932-1933)

 Merlin Seymour, renter, (1933-1937)

 Sarah Lamphear, renter, (1938-1943)

Doris and Charles E. Bittner moved here (1939-1944)

Vacant, 7 rooms, slate roof, for sale at $6000, (1944-1945)

Jean and Capt. E. Frederick Koehler, renter, (1946-1947)

William E. Miller, renter, (1948-1948)

Anna S. and Max F. Koehler Residence, (1947-1974)

Anna S. Koehler Residence, (1974-1986)

Charles Richardson Residence, (1986-1994)

Laura Richardson Residence, (1994-

Chris Wohlney Residence,        ?2012)

Kathryn Martin Residence,        ?-2017)

 

#132-134 West Friendship Street: Anderson Quonset Bldg.-1948

Reed’s Beauty Salon, Harry Allen Reed, Prop. (1949-1959)

Floyd Soward’s Music, (1965-1967)

Fenn Cleaners, Percy Fenn, Prop. (1949-1949)

1Percy Fenn moved his dry cleaning business from the newsstand at 115 West Liberty Street to Anderson’s new Quonset building, The Brick front Quonset building is at rear of Carl J. Anderson property at 146 North Elmwood Street next to waterworks office.

Ideal Cleaners, Virginia Mae Bright and Edward L Raymer, Props. (1949-1953)

1.  Percy Fenn sold his dry cleaning business to Eddie Raymer and Virginia M. Bright in 1949.

Eddie Paul’s Music Studio, (1962–1967)

City of Medina Property, (1969-1972)

City of Medina Municipal Building, (1973-Present)

 

#150 West Friendship Street: Police Station,-1973

Medina Village Town Marshals and Night Watchman:

1.  When Medina was a village, the “arm of the law” was the town marshal that was appointed by the Village Council.

2.  Any town marshal can appoint any number of unpaid deputy town marshals or reserve officers who may exercise full police powers in the state. The marshal is described as "the chief police officer of the town and has the powers of other law enforcement officers in executing the orders of the legislative body and enforcing laws.

3.  A Night Watchman was hired by the village proprietors to over-see their properties after they closed for the evening.  Some proprietors allowed the Night Watchman to have access to their stores when closed.

4.  In October of 1951, the village was notified by the Stale that it would be classified as a "statutory city," effective as of January 1, 1952 based on the 1950 population census. The designation “Town Marshal” was changed to “Chief of Police” in 1952. Homer C. Davis Sr was appointed by Mayor John W. Brown

H.  Calloway, TM                        1854-1861

William D. Frazier, TM                1886-1897

1.  In 1886, William D. Frazier, the City Marshall’s office was in the Engine House

2.  William D. Frasier, former Town Marshal (1886) replaced Andrew A. Foskett as Fire Chief in 1898 and served in that capacity until being replaced by Samuel G. Foote in 1903.

3.  William D. “Bill” Frazier was a famous athlete and hunter. In his youth he once out ran a horse from Medina to Sharon and the horse dropped dead half-ways there.

4.  It was said in his obituary that he also repeatedly caught foxes with his bare hands, after out-running them in cross-country chases.

5.  The law enforcement facilities of the community, including the two-cell town 'lock-up” have been housed at 50 Public Square, in the old Town Hall structure since it was built in 1878, sharing quarters there with the Fire Department. Upon special arrangement the city also occasionally uses cells in the new Medina County Jail.

Frank M. Burnham, TM, NW      1906-1908

1.  Franklin T. Burnham night watchman 1906-1908, farmer 1868-1888, then, moved to Medina where he was clerk in various businesses, a member of village council, and Town Marshal.

Van Brown Maple, NW              1909-1910

1.  Van Brown Maple, night watchman, born 1854, died 1914.

William A.  Lowe, NW                1910-1912

1.  William Adams ‘Will’ Lowe, night watchman, 1910-1912. Was later with highway department; died in 1932.

John Gates, TM,                        1909-1913

Henry M. Blakeslee, TM             1913-1916

1.  Henry M. Blakeslee, Town Marshal, 1913-1916; born in Weymouth in 1871 and he moved to Medina in 1906.

2.   In 1916, he shot and killed night watchman John H. Gates after a quarrel; tried to commit suicide; went to prison. He died in 1921. 

John Gates, NW                        1913-1916

1.  On April 18, 1916, Medina Village Watchman, John Gates, 60 years old, went to work like he did so many other nights, fulfilling his obligation to make sure the businesses in village were secure. At some point during his rounds and during the “deserted hours of the morning” Gates apparently sat down to rest on a ledge in front of E. P. Hartman’s Grocery Store facing the historic square in Medina.

2.  It was at this point that Gates was approached by Henry Blakeslee, the 48 year old village marshal, a position in which Gates had previously served. Blakeslee, who was in possession of a 16 gauge double barreled shotgun, apparently had ongoing issues with Gates. Seconds after the initial meeting, two shots rang out in quick succession. A couple staying in a local hotel looked out in time to see the assailant running away from the spot where Gates was later found lying dead.

3.  A search to find Blakeslee regarding the incident was fruitless. However, Blakeslee’s discarded uniform coat was found in the basement of a nearby clothing store. It contained two live shotgun shells that were identical to two empty casings found at the scene.

4.  After an exhaustive 8-hour search, Blakeslee was found hiding in a hay maw in his neighbor’s barn. Blakeslee had a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Although seriously injured, he was treated and eventually recovered from those wounds. His shotgun was found under the neighbor’s couch. Henry Blakeslee’s case was subsequently presented to a grand jury who indicted him on first degree murder charges. He was tried and found guilty of manslaughter and received a sentence of one to twenty years.

5.  Night Watchman John Gates served with the agency for eight years. He was survived by his wife Katie and four children.

Albert L. Sedgwick, NW             1916-1916

1.  Albert L “Al” Sedgwick became a night watchman when John Gates was killed in 1916. He was born in Weymouth in1864; he worked for King Bridge Company; he owned Medina Coal; was a barber; owned a pool room in 1925; also owned a restaurant and a meat market; was Medina village street commissioner from 1914-1929. Was a commercial photographer in the old Arcade Building; he sold vacuum suction cleaners in 1909; died in 1950.

Allen “Allie” F. Hange NW,         1916-1928

1.  Allen “Allie” F. Hange was a liveryman at American House Hotel; bought and sold horses for the government during WW I.

2.  In 1916, he “filled in a few days” as a favor to the mayor Lewis Randall, but stayed several decades. .

3.  Hange was also a truant officer for many years and Town Marshal from 1929 to 1946.

Stowe White, NW                       1920-1924

1.  Stowe White was Night Watchman from 1920-1924; Sawyer at A. I. Root; carpenter; custodian at Masonic Hall; Medina Farmer’s Exchange custodian in 1924. In 1916-1918 taxi service runs automobile livery service between Medina and Wadsworth from American House Hotel via Seville; two round trips per day for $1.20 per round trip; takes 1 hour in 1915.

Allie F. Hange, TM                      1929-1946

1.  The Police Department and Its activities have grown rapidly since the early 1940's, when it had only two men as regular law officers, Allie Hange and Louis Benford.

Elmer. E. Holtzburg NW             1926-1940

1.  Elmer E. Holtzburg, pioneer settler to Oklahoma territory; built AC&Y RR in Medina; he worked at Goodrich in Akron; owned a farm between Granger and Hinckley in 1904; moved to Medina in 1924; night watchman 1926-1940;  died in 1942.

Louis Benford, TM                     1946-1948

1.  Louis Benford was a formerly a rig builder and carpenter. Benford began in 1938 under veteran Town Marshall, Allie Hange and served through the WWII years.

2.  Benford was appointed Town Marshall in 1946, but was relieved of that post in the political hassles of 1948-1949, a period which saw three Town Marshals in three years – Benford, Clair House and Edward Wells and finally Homer Davis, Sr. Benford died in 1972.

Clair F. House, TM                     1948-1948

1.  House became a deputy sheriff in 1929 under the late sheriff, Lyman Buffington his father-in-law.

2.  House was Village policeman from 1935 to 1951, then retired and ran House’s Flower Shop. 

3.  Clare F. House died 1955 in a fall from scaffolding at his Lafayette farm at the age of 54.

Edward Wells, TM                      1948-1949

Homer C. Davis, Sr. TM               1949-1951

1.  In 1952, Homer Davis title of Town Marshal was changed to Chief of Police, when Medina was officially designated a “City” from “village” status by the State of Ohio.

Medina City Chief of Police:

Homer C. Davis, Sr. CP              1952-1968

1.  Davis was a Graduate of FBI National Academy and his diploma was presented by President Dwight Eisenhower.

2.  Davis was a bailiff in Medina Municipal Court from 1956 to 1968. Homer C. Davis died in 1986.

3.  In 1947, the mileage traveled by the police cruiser was 32,046 miles.

4.  In 1965, the police cruisers covered 95,164 miles. These increases, however, have been only in keeping pace with the growth of the city.

5..  From 1950 to 1965 the budget of the police department has increased from $31,000 to $95,464.

6.  In 1966, the police department has a staff of eighteen people, composed of fourteen officers and four clerks.

Homer C.  Davis, Jr., CP            1969-1990

1.  Hired as a Medina patrolman in 1961.

Thomas Steyer, CP                     1991-1996

1.  A Tiffin, Ohio native, Thomas Steyer spent 21 years with the Medina, Ohio, Police Department before returning to Tiffin as police chief in 1996.

Dennis Hanwell, CP                    1996-2009

1.  Hanwell is a graduate of the University of Akron’s criminal justice program. Hanwell joined the police force in 1983 and worked the streets for five years before he was promoted to sergeant, then lieutenant in 1991. He became chief in 1996 and resigned in June, 2009 when elected to the position of Mayor of the City of Medina.

2Some of the enhancements to the Medina Police Department under the leadership of Chief Dennis Hanwell include the Bicycle Patrol, the Canine Program, the Motorcycle unit, implementation of SWAT, the development of core values, the hosting of eight community police academies, the Adopt-a-Senior program (an officer visits a senior weekly), the police department website, and the hosting of Medina County Safe Communities Program and website.

3For 11 years, the chief hosted a cable television show each month called Behind the Badge, highlighting various aspects of law enforcement that interest the community.

Patrick J. Berarducci, CP            2009-2017

1   In 2016, the Police Department handled nearly 24,000 calls for service, an increase of 9% over the prior year. While calls increased, arrests decreased by 16%.

2.  The dispatch center remains very busy with dispatching and answering phones for the city, Medina Township and Montville Township. To help appreciate this work volume, the center handled over 300,000 radio and telephone communications in 2016 or about 1 call every other minute of every hour every day.

 

Town Marshals and Night Watchman

H.  Calloway, TM                   1854-

William Frazier, TM               1886-1897

Frank M. Burnham, NW          1906-1808

Van Brown Maple, NW           1909-1910

William A.  Lowe, NW            1910-1912

John Gates, TM, NW              1908-1916

Albert L. Sedgwick, NW         1916-1916

Henry Blakeslee, TM              1916-1916

Allie F. Hange NW,                1916-1928

Allie F. Hange, TM                 1929-1946

Stowe White, NW                  1920-1924

Elmer. E. Holtzburg NW          1926-1940

Louis Benford, TM                  1946-1948

Clair House, TM                     1948-1948

Edward Wells, TM                  1940-1949

Homer C. Davis, Sr TM           1949-1951

Chief of Police

Homer C. Davis, Sr                1952-1968

Homer Charles Davis, Jr        1969-1990

Thomas Steyer,                     1991-1996

Dennis Hanwell                      1996-2009

Patrick J. Berarducci             2009-2017

 

West Friendship Street:

North Elmwood east to North Court Street

North Elmwood Street:

West Liberty Street north to West Friendship Street

DSC03851.jpg

#130 North Elmwood Street: Selkirk House, 1900, Masonic Lodge Bldg.-1925

Masonic Lodge, Number 58, F. and A. M. (1819-2017)

1.  The Medina Masonic Lodge was founded by Elijah Boardman and twenty Medina County pioneers in 1819.

Rufus Ferris presided as the first Master of Lodge 58 and Mrs. Searle and Mrs. Bronson served as Grand Mistresses of the Day. The fact that it was established only one year after the village itself was plotted makes it the earliest organization of its kind in the surrounding community, for the membership was gathered from a twenty-five mile radius.

2.  The first officers were: Worshipful Master, Abraham Freese; Senior Warden, Rufus Ferris, Sr.; Junior Warden, Seth Blood.

3.  The first meeting was held in the home of the Reverend Mr. Roger Searle, the Episcopal Missionary; the consecration was conducted at the courthouse in 1820 by Brother John Snow, Grand Master of Ohio.

4.  The meetings were continued in the Reverend Searle's home until 1824, when the Anti-Masonic movement developed. This protest movement that lasted about ten years almost wiped out all fraternal groups nationally, but the Medina meetings were re-instituted in 1826 at Brunswick by the Grand Lodge. There they continued for less than a year and then returned to the Medina courthouse. However, the Masons were again forced to return to Brunswick for their meetings in 1829, where they remained until 1832, when the Lodge was permitted to return to Medina permanently. At the last meeting in 1832 the names of the following officers appeared on the roster: Worshipful Master, W. A. Miles; Senior Warden, A. Berdan; Junior Warden, Charles Alcott; Secretary, John Reese.

5.  John Been, the secretary, kept the records until his death, at which time they were lost. They re-appeared fortunately in 1842, but the charter was still missing. A new charter was issued in 1843 by the Worshipful Master of the Grand Lodge, Brother William Reese.

6.  The officers under the new charter were the following: Worshipful Master, W. A. Miles; Senior Warden, A. Berdan; Junior Warden. Charles Alcott. After the re-organization of 1843, the home of P. E. Munger in Medina was used as the meeting place for the officers and the fourteen members of the lodge.

7.  New difficulties developed when the charter was stolen and therefore had to be suspended. A new charter, with the same officers, was issued in 1849. With the growing number of members, the Medina Lodge embarked upon plans for the building of a temple in 1870. Land was purchased and a building fund created; however, enthusiasm diminished, and the fund-raising died down.

8.  Therefore the Medina Masons continuously occupied the "Old Masonic Hall. - which was located on an upper floor in the Smith-Albro Block on the northwest corner of South Court and West Washington Streets, from 1876 to 1927, a period of almost half a century.

9.  It was not until 1912 that the building fund was actively revived. By 1924 enough money was accumulated to start construction of a temple.

Selkirk House, (1900-1924)

1.  In 1924, the Masons purchased the old Selkirk house and property on North Elmwood from the Louis Selkirk estate.

2.  In 1924, the Masonic Temple purchased a strip of land from the rear end of Stow White’s property on North Elmwood Street and the Selkirk home will be moved there and remodeled into a double house to rent. A 12’ court will be made between the White and Masonic properties.

3.  Adjacent property owners E. D. Lowe, Ozra Stowe and Edith A. White, Clara Ulmer Hallock and M. O. Hallock and Nathan H. McClure sold parcels of their properties to the Masonic Temple in 1925.

Masonic Temple, (1926-2017)

1.  The building committee consisted of George S. Mellert, G. W. Reinhardt, G. W. Wilder, P. C Bigelow, and N. H. McClure.

2.  They will erect a Masonic Temple with 120’ frontage on North Elmwood Street, 200’ deep, with access of 17’ across on West Liberty Street

3. The plans for the Temple were prepared by Ridley and Glazier, architects of Akron. T. Ralph Ridley, architect of the Masonic Temple and the new high school building on North Broadway Street was born in Bury-St.-Edmunds, England.

4.  The construction was carried out by the Clemmer and Johnson Company, also of Akron at a cost of $100,000.  

Masonic Temple under construction 1924.jpg

5.   The cornerstone of the present Masonic Temple on North Elmwood Street was laid on October 26, 1924. The construction went rapidly, and on July 1, 1925, it was completed and dedicated on July 1, 1926.

6.  The temple itself symbolizes the principles of Masonry. It is an imposing structure of rough grey brick trimmed with stone, of Greek Ionic style. The interior construction is of fireproof material with adequate stairways and exits to accommodate large crowds when necessary

Old photo Masonic Temple.jpg

7.  The interior decorating was done by E. C. Lentz and Son; furnishings were supplied by Longacre and Son; and carpets and draperies were purchased from E. C. Ziegler and Son.

Masonic Meeting Room 1924 - Copy.jpg

Circa 1924... The Main Meeting room of the Medina Masonic Temple on Elmwood Street... Note the 46 star flag that was used from 1908 to 1912....

8.  An outside firm negotiating for new movie theater here 1937 on the East side of the Public Square. The location was offered to Willis and Yudelevitz, but they turned it down.

9. In 1937, part of Masonic Temple to become movie theater and they will extend 1st floor 50’ to East at a cost of $23,000.  

10. Medina Schine Theater opened on Jan 4 1938 at Masonic Temple that seats 1000 patrons with streamlined chairs and davenports in the lobby. A 150’ ramp from West Liberty Street to the lobby was added as required by state law.

11. Medina Schine Theater remodeled in 1949. For more of the history of the Schine Theater refer to #139 West Liberty Street address.

12. The Lobby in the Masonic Temple facing N. Elmwood Street was made into offices for Dr. Morris Wildrom, in 1946 to 1956.

13. In 1965, the Masonic Temple added an elevator in the building at a cost of $30,000.

14. In 1966, the present officers of the Medina Masonic Lodge are: Worshipful Master, Wilbur Hertel; Senior Warden, Gerald Wagar; Junior Warden, Gurdon Morris; Treasurer, Worshipful Brother Harry Vaughn; Secretary, W. B. Maynard Schafer; Senior Deacon, Cornell Starr; Junior Deacon, Marion Stambaugh; Tyler (Guard),
James Yoxtheimer. The Medina Masonic Lodge, Number 58, F. and A. M., is at present composed of approximately 500 members.

 BIBLIOGRAPHY

Medina Historical Society, The History of Medina County. Fostoria, Ohio, Gray Printing Co., 1948.

15.. The 23,200-square-foot building was constructed in stages between 1924 and 1949. In 2003, the Masonic Temple was added to The National Register of Historic Places. It is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966,

313..JPG

16. After dropping out of negotiations to buy the historic Masonic Temple earlier in 2015, Medina City officials in July, 2015 placed the winning bid of $258,000 for the property at an auction and voted in July 2016 to demolish the building.

Masonic Hall  destruction.jpg
Old Masonic Bldg. Lot.jpg

#132 North Elmwood Street: Crane House,-c.-1900

Property Owners: James Warner, (1832-1853); J. T. Ainsworth, (1853-1863); James H. and Willis H. Albro, (1866- 1902)

Samuel and Maria Crane Residence, (1902-1909)

Clara Crane Residence, (1910-1911)

Clara Crane Rental Property, (1910-1914)

Dr. H.P.H. Robinson rents lower level, (1910-1914) and Clara Crane lives on second floor, (1910-1911); F. A. Young, rental, (1911-1912); Ralph Boyden, rental, (1913);

1.  Outside closet for sale, newly painted with a slate roof and in excellent condition in 1911.

2.  Dr. H. P. H. Robinson moves his residence to 72 Public Square in 1914.

Ozro Stowe and Edith White Residence, (1914-1943)

1.  Clara Crane sold house and 2 lots to Edith and Ozro Stowe White and they remodeled the inside in 1914.

2.  Edith and Ozro Stowe (Stowell) White came to Medina in 1902; Stowe joined the Medina Band in 1902 under Will Wall and served as Director in later years; He maintained a music shop in his residence from 1915 to 1953.

3.  Stowe was a carpenter and worked in A. I.  Root saw room.  He also operated a taxi between Medina and Wadsworth from 1916 to 1918, but stopped due to lack of patronage.

4.  Stowe also operated a taxi between Medina and Wadsworth from 1916 to 1918, but stopped due to lack of patronage.

5.  Stowe was the town night watchman from 1920 to 1924; a night watchman at Medina Farmers Exchange from 1937 to 1945; a custodian at the Masonic Temple from 1924 to 1953.

 6.  Stowe White (KofP bandleader) property to be purchased for a City Hall for $21,000 in 1953. The property backs up to the Water Department building.

Stanley L. Hartman Rental Property, 1955-1962

1.  Stowe White Estate house and property sold to Stanley L Hartman, U. S. Post Master in 1955.

2.  Hartman converted the house into 3 office suites rented by Dr Kenneth G Robinson, optometrist and Andrew H. Dudas, realtor from 1956 to 1957.

3City of Medina purchased the Stanley Hartman property on North Elmwood Street for $3,500 in 1962.

City of Medina Town Hall, (1962-1973)

Finance Department; Service Director; Engineer Offices; Utility Office

Mayors Offices at 132 North Elmwood Street

James Brown                   (Jan. 1962-Jun. 1963)

Augustus Eble                  (Jun. 1963-Dec. 1963)

Jacob Suddleson              (Jan. 1964-Dec. 1965)

Fred Greenwood               (Jan. 1966-Dec. 1973)

 

1.  In September 1972, Ordinance 92-72 authorized the Mayor to enter into a contract with Jerome E. Romis and Associates, Architects, for plans and estimates for the construction of a Municipal Building and declaring an emergency.

2.  In April, 1973, Medina City Council contemplates issuing $790,000 of bond anticipation notes (5.875%) for the purpose of constructing and equipping a municipal building and improving the said site, of which $690,000 is proposed to be expended for constructing such municipal building and $100,000 for furnishings and site improvements.

 

City of Medina Municipal Building, (1973-Present)

Mayors in Office:

Fred Greenwood                         (Jan. 1966-Dec. 1973)

August Eble                                (Jan. 1974-Dec. 1981)

William C. Lamb                          (Jan. 1982-Dec. 1989)

James S. Roberts                        (Jan. 1990-Dec. 2001)

Jane E. Leaver                            (Jan. 2002-Dec. 2009)

Dennis Hanwell                           (Jan. 2010-Present)

 1.  In December 1973, Mayor Fred Greenwood reported that the lights will be left on at the new Municipal Building due to the large amount of vandalism that has been taking place.

City of Medina combined lots 141-142-144-145-147 and 148 in 1985 for City Hall and public parking.

314..JPG

#135 North Elmwood Street: Municipal Court House Bldg.-1982

1.  The Medina Municipal Court jurisdiction includes the cities of Brunswick and Medina, Spencer and Chippewa Lake villages, and 11 townships (Liverpool, Brunswick Hills, Hinckley, Litchfield, York, Medina, Granger, Spencer, Chatham, Lafayette, and Montville).

2.  The Court handles felony and misdemeanor criminal cases; traffic and civil cases, including personal injury, contract disputes, small claims, and evictions; and acts in thousands of cases to enforce and collect civil judgments for individuals and businesses.

August Eble, Mayor, (1974-1981)

1.  Resolution 28-81 was signed by Mayor, August Elbe, on March 11, 1981 establishing City lots 151 and 152 at the corner of North Elmwood and West Friendship Streets as the location of the new Municipal Court facility.

2.  In March 1981, Mayor Eble was authorized to enter into a contract with Ronald Kohanski, Architect for design and plans for construction of a Municipal Court Building at a cost of $35,000.

3.  In July 1981, Mayor was authorized to enter into a contract to purchase real estate at 137 North Elmwood Street at a cost of $4,000.

William C. Lamb, Mayor, (1982-1989)

4.  In April 1982, the City of Medina renewed their contract with Hallock Properties to lease the Municipal Court in the building at the northwest corner of North Court and West Friendship Streets.

5.  In May 1982, the Service Director was authorized to advertise for bids for the construction of a Municipal Court facility in the amount of $615,000 as an emergency measure due to the fire that destroyed the current Municipal Court building recently leased.

6.  In September, 1982, the Medina Municipal Court facility now under construction was dedicated to Mayor August Elbe and Mayor and Judge C. B. McClure for their services to the City of Medina.

7.  In November, 1982 a City of Medina ordinance authorized the installation of an elevator in the Municipal Court building at a cost of $27,000.

Municipal Court Judges:

Judge Elizabeth Winter,          (1958-1963)

Judge Carroll C. McClure,        (1964-1981)

Judge Kermit Neely,                (1981-1987)

Judge Dale Chase,                   (1988-2017)

 

#138 North Elmwood Street: Jennings House,-c-1902

Harriet Jennings Residence, (1902-1918)

Frank L. Harding Residence, (1918-1942)

Gordon and Ethel Holden Residence, (1942-1955)

William and Goldie Penrose, (1955-1966)

132-134-138 North Elmwood Penrose houses.jpeg

City of Medina Municipal Building, (1966-Present)

City of Medina combined lots 141-142-144-145-147 and 148 in 1985 for City Hall and public parking.

 

#146 North Elmwood Street: Wall House,-c.-1902

William and Dolores Wall Residence (1902-1928)

Charles H. and Marcia Iper, Residence, (1928-1947)

Carl J. and Ethel Anderson Residence, (1947-1955)

Guy and Ethel Penrose Residence, (1955-1966)

Anderson House 146 NE.jpg

1.  Guy Penrose lives at #146 and rents #138 and has agreed to sell both, #146 on a 3 year option and #138for cash.

2.  The tract will be 217 feet on North Elmwood Street and 256 on West Friendship Street not including a small quonset hut on Friendship, a commercial building owned by C. J. Anderson. The tract does include the City Water Department building.

City of Medina Municipal Building, (1967-Presentayors in Office:

Fred Greenwood                         (Jan. 1966-Dec. 1973)

August Eble                                (Jan. 1974-Dec. 1981)

William C. Lamb                          (Jan. 1982-Dec. 1989)

James S. Roberts                         (Jan. 1990-Dec. 2001)

Jane E. Leaver                              (Jan. 2002-Dec. 2009)

Dennis Hanwell                             (Jan. 2010-Present)

 

City of Medina combined lots 141-142-144-145-147 and 148 in 1985 for City Hall and public parking.

315..JPG

North Elmwood Street

 From West Friendship Street looking south to West Liberty Street

#206 North Elmwood Street: John Smart House,-1886

John and Julia Smart Residence, (1886-1902)

1.  In 1884, Henry Paull sold part Lot #138 to John and Julia Smart.

2.  The John Smart house was built in 1886 by Dillon P. Clark for John Smart a well-known village proprietor.

3.   Inland Architect Magazine in 1886 says that D. P. Clark of West Bay City, MI had plans in preparation to build a two story frame house, 32x60 feet, with a shingle roof for John Smart for a cost of $4000. Dillon P Clark of Medina moved to Bay City, MI in January, 1883.

4   John Smart, a metal worker, brought the foundry industry to Medina which greatly helped its economy due to the time period.

5.  Benny Smart, son of John Smart, foreman of Medina County Foundry died in February, 1877 of lung fever and measles.

6.  John and his wife, Julia, and daughters, Anna and Maud, lived in the house until 1900 when they moved to Cleveland to be closer to their daughters.

7.  Widow Julia Smart died in Lakewood, Ohio at the home of daughters Mrs. Merta E. Branch and Mrs. John A. Stanton in 1928.

Anna M. Stanton Property, (1900-1902)

1.  H. A. Caswell livery proprietor moved into John Smart house in 1900 and Watters and Greisinger rent the 1st floor in 1900.

2.  The Lefferty family and Elisha Beedle, the blacksmith, moved into the Stanton house on North Elmwood Street in 1900.

3Mrs. O. M. Jackson and the family of J. A. Hobart moved into the Smart house in 1901.

Orlo and Adelaide Jackson Residence, (1902-1913)

1.  Anna M. Stanton sold the John Smart property and lot #138 to Addie M. and O. M. Jackson for $4200 in 1902.

2.  Orlo Jackson was a cabinet maker and undertaker and his wife Adelaide Jackson, a millinery proprietor on Public Square for over 30 years.

3.  P.C. Bigelow (auctioneer) moved into the Jackson house with H. A. Caswell this winter of 1904.

4.  A. H. Maury (car inspector for Northern Ohio RR) moved into Mrs. Jackson’s house in 1907.

5.  H. F. Gable moved into Mrs. O. M. Jackson’s house in 1910.

6.  C. M. Rhodes (merchant) moved out in 1912.

7.  Mrs. O. M. Jackson died 1913 and the house is for sale in north part of town for $4200.

8.  Mrs. A. F. Hanley (dressmaker) moved into the Jackson house in 1913.   

William Benson and Leonora Baldwin Residence, (1913-1926)

1.  The William Benson Baldwin family bought the home in 1913.

2.  The William Baldwin was the owner and editor of the Medina County Gazette which also meant that his home was the social and political area of the town.

3.  The Studio of Mrs. W. B. Baldwin for voice and song interpretation and the E. J. Miller piano studio opened in 1915.

4.  In 1915 a Baldwin Musicale by Leonora Baldwin was held in their home in 1915.

5.  The Baldwin family consisted of two loving parents, a daughter, and two mischievous boys. The Baldwin boys were also known for laying the remaining brick roads that are still in Medina.

6.  The W. B. Baldwin family has a St. Bernard dog named ‘Big Boy’.

7.  An abandoned chicken house at the W.B. Baldwin’s home burned in 1923 by small boys using it as a clubhouse. They left a running fire in the stove while they were out Indian fighting.

William L. and Pearl Hammerschmidt Residence, (1926-1934)

1.  The home was purchased by William L. Hammerschmidt in 1926 who owned a florist shop and greenhouse on West Friendship Street.

2.  He and his family lived in the house until 1934, when they moved into their home at #113 West Friendship Street vacated by Raymond Bennett.

William Benson and Leonora Baldwin Rental Property, (1934-1938)

1William B. Baldwin repurchased the property from William Hammerschmidt in 1934 and advertised the home for sale all of 1935 for a rental business.

Medina Fraternal Order of Eagles, Aerie No. 2224, (1938-1941)

1.  The Medina Eagles, Aerie No. 2224 bought the W. B. Baldwin property at the corner of Friendship and Elmwood Streets in 1938.

2.   In 1938, Medina Eagles Aerie made extensive repairs, remodeled the basement, added a new furnace and made a new parking lot

3   In 1941, the Medina Eagles Aerie at the corner of North Elmwood and West Friendship Street advertised their building with 10 rooms and a bath for sale; could be rented as a double dwelling.

4.  In 1941, the Medina Eagles moved to their newly build lodge building at #79 South Broadway Street.

F. H. Harper Residence and Rental Property, (1941-1949)

1.  F. H. Harper purchased the property from the Medina Fraternal Order of Eagles in 1941 to turn into dwelling apartments,

Frances Ward Montgomery Rental Property, (1949-1973)

1.  Frances Montgomery inherited the property from the estate of F. H. Harper in 1949.

2.  Frances Montgomery leased the house and property to the Medina County Commissioners on consecutive leases dated in 1962, 1966 and 1970.

Medina County Board of Education Offices, (1949-1973)

1.   In 1949, the home housed Medina County Government offices, primarily the Medina County Board of Education under lease agreement until 1973.

Medina County Board of Education Offices, (1973-1984)

1.   Frances Montgomery sold the lot and house at #206 North Elmwood to the Medina County Commissioners in 1973.

Medina County Historical Society Museum, (1985-Present)

1.  In 1985, the Medina County Historical Society acquired the house from the Medina County Commissioners and named the museum the “John Smart House”.
2.  Through the years the Historical Society members have worked hard to restore the Victorian home to its original splendor.

3.  We must preserve the John Smart house forever because it will forever preserve Medina.