West Liberty Street/South:
#110 West Liberty Street: The Arcade Building–1833, Hallock Building-1924
1. The Arcade was built on the present foundation in 1833 by Stephen N. Sargent and Uriah H. Pecke at rear of lot #1 which was the County’s original Courthouse. The contractors were given as pay lot #2 valued at $425 plus $1500 cash. It served as a Jail until 1851.
2. The ‘Arcade’ building at rear of the Post Office in the Old Court House building has been dismantled and will be transformed into a modern business structure. It was the first County jail after the rude log structure was built at the time of the County’s organization.
3. There were two cells located on the 2nd floor on either side of the stairway. There were wooden doors with small holes for passing through food that are still here. Instead of iron, the cell walls are 2 1/2” thick beech and oak planks. Everything is fastened with wooden pins or hand-forged iron nails 5” long in 1917. The jail contained four fireplaces, with two on each end, all now since removed, but two chimneys at the rear are the only evidence, with two windows and a door closed up on the east side of the building.
Warren Millinery Store, Mrs. Charles F. Warren, Prop. (1895-1899)
1. Root’s goods at Root’s prices can now be had up town. Knowing of a great many that appreciate Root’s large assortment and prices but at times do not feel convenient to visit their place of business they have decided to place a complete stock of household specialties in my rooms, where you will be able to find prices the same as at their sales rooms.
Lowe Wall Paper and Paint Store, Edmund D. Lowe, Prop. (1896-1899)
1. Edmund D. Lowe bought his father, E. B. Lowe’s interior and wallpaper business and moved it to the Arcade in 1896
2. Edmund D. Lowe left the L. S. Smith Arcade Block in 1899
Medina Clothing Company, Nellie A. and Edward H. Friedman, Props. (1900-1902)
1. Edward Friedman opened a merchant tailoring business in the west room of Arcade in 1900.
2. Nellie moved to Medina in 1890 with her Aunt Alice Kite, married Edward Friedman and died in 1904.
3. After retiring in 1902, Edward Friedman started a seed company business on his farm in Lafayette Township now rented by E. C. Green in 1906.
Medina County Creamery Company, James Stouffer and Abraham Stouffer, props. (1899–1911)
1. In 1897, Medina Creamery acquired the business of the Harter Brothers Creamery of River Styx, Ohio.
2. The Medina County Creamery Company (MCCC) became one of the benefactors of the interurbans radiating from the city. Starting in 1905, it received much of the milk carried by the C&SW and the other interurbans.
3. By the mid-1910s the creamery claimed to be the largest manufacturer and wholesaler of creamery products in the city of Cleveland. It started with only 250 farmer suppliers in the fall of 1905 and in just three years acquired nearly 1,500 more.
4. In 1910 the company purchased 76,210 dozen eggs at a cost of $16,851 at an average of 24 cents per dozen, and 709,196 pounds of butter fat at a cost of $246,600 at an average of 23 cents per pound.
Medina County Creamery Company products are loaded on the Interurban Car for delivery to Cleveland market. Circa 1910
Ward Model Steam Laundry, Edward Ward, Prop., (1901–1906)
Levet Confectionary Store, Joe Levet, Prop. (1901-1905)
1. Joe Levet sold his confectionary store in Smith’s Arcade to F.F. Ferguson in 1905.
Ferguson Laundry, F. F. Ferguson, Prop. (1906–1910)
Walton and Brought Laundry located in Arcade, (1910–1910)
1. In 1910, Winford E. Cole Laundry has purchased the Walton and Brought Laundry Agency and is now sole agent for Cleveland, Lorain and Wooster Laundries. His headquarters are in the Warner basement, the first door west of Wall’s Drug Store.
Medina County Creamery Company, Abraham Stouffer, prop. (1911–1921)
1. Medina County Creamery acquired the entire lower floor of Arcade Building vacated by Acme Engraving in 1911.
2. Adon L. Smith of Cleveland bought the old arcade property in 1917.
Arcade Restaurant, A. A. Young, Prop. (1915-1923)
The Old jail and Arcade Building was purchased and razed for new M.O. Hallock Block in 1924.
1. The ‘Arcade’ building at rear of the Post Office in the Old Court House building has been dismantled and will be transformed into a modern business structure. It was the first County jail after the rude log structure was built at the time of the County’s organization.
Hallock Music and Stove Store, M. O. Hallock, Prop. (1924–1925)
1. Hallock Music Store heat boiler exploded, plate glass windows blown out, $2500 total damage.
2. Hallock had an auction sale in 1927.
Lanphear Restaurant, Jennie and William J. Lanphear, Props. (1925-1935)
Wimpy’s Sandwich Shop, Albert Prushe, Prop. (1935–1938)
1. Macy O. Hallock leased his store room to Albert Wimpy Prushe
Medina Grill, Harry Rosenthal, Prop. (1938–1941)
1. Prushe sold to Harry Rosenthal in 1938.
2. Restaurant name changed to Medina’s Grill in 1938.
Medina Grill, John Gyori, Prop. (1941–1946)
1. Harry Rosenthal sold the Medina Grill to John Gyori in 1941.
Medina Grill, George Billson, Prop. (1946–1947)
1. George Billson of Bunker Hill Inn rented the Medina Grill from M. O. Hallock.
Wright Department Stores, Edwin L. Loveman, Prop. (1947–1954)
1. Wright’s moved to Medina Shopping Center in 1954, was here since 1947.
Sportsman Shop, Lorain and Vernon Goshell, Props. (1955–1965)
1. Lorain and Vernon Goshell, while she operates the store, he is a plumber at Ford Plant.
2. They sell boats, motors, sporting goods.
3. Kenneth Benner leased spot in Sportsmen’s shop for Benner’s Clock and Watch 1954.
4. Verne and Lorain Gosnell Sportsman’s Shop moved in 1965.
Thomas House Furniture, (1966–1973)
Goodwill Industries, (1974–1985)
Village Booksmith, (1986–2006)
Woodsy’s Music, (2007–2016)
1. Woodsy's of Medina is a full service instrument repair shop, lesson studio and retailer carrying many major and national brands.
2. Woodsy's also offer a school band and orchestra rent-to-own program.
#110.5 West Liberty Street: 2nd Floor, The Arcade Bldg.–1833, Hallock Bldg.-1922
Lamphear Pool Room, William Lamphear, Prop., (1922-1923)
1. 1922-The Lanphear-House poolroom in basement of Hallock building is now open.
Averill Pool Room, H. C. Averill, Prop. (1923–1926)
1. H. C. Averill purchased William Lanphear pool room equipment in the basement and took over the business in 1923.
Vance Billiard Parlor, Frank Vance, Prop. (1927–1932)
1. Frank Vance purchased the pool room equipment from H. C. Averill in 1926.
Walker Billard Room, (1932-1935)
1. In basement of Hallock Block Walker sold to Florence Leister Tooker and Clare Tooker who removed their business from the Bartholomay Block where he rented space in billiard and pool room of Ed Diehl, until Diehl abandoned his lease 1932.
Dr. Frank A. Miller, Chiropodist, 1936-1940)
1. A Hallock building fire in defective wiring in 1940, Wimpys on 1st floor and Dr. Frank A. Miller, Chiropodist on 2nd floor badly smoked. Floors and ceilings axed in 1940.
Charles Zaminska, (1941-1942)
Clair Miller and Jennie Miller, (1942–1948)
1. Jennie Miller sells fur coats from New York City and Christmas cards in 1944.
2. Fern and Leo D. Dunbar lived with his sister Jennie Miller.
Mildred Dunbar, (1942–1948)
1. Jennie M and Clair H Miller (a guard at Permold) 1942-1948.
H. W. “Jack” Lanphear and Kathryn Lamphear, (1943-1945)
Marjorie M. and Robert E. Gerspacher, (1946-1948)
W.R. Koons Tax Service, (1946-1950)
Winifred A. and Douglas V. Dunbar, painter, (1948-1950)
George A. Richter to Miller apartment, (1948-1950)
Clayton J. Oberholtzer, Attorney, (1950-1951)
Macy M. Hallock, (1951–1953)
Clara A. and Robert Staton, (1953-1956)
Robert A. Staton, (1956-1960)
Medina Street Guide, (1960-1963)
Rodger A Miller, (1960-1963)
Hinkel’s Billiards, (1960–1963)
REA Express, (1963-1965)
Robert Thomas, (1963-1965)
Linda M. Quesada, (1976-1978)
Alan S. Huston, (1976–1978)
Michael D. Janosko, (1976–1979)
D. H. Rezabek, (1979-1981)
G. Grote, (1981-1982)
John Sanders, Tailor, (1981–2013)
Lyle’s Precious Metals, Lyle Morse, Prop. (1982–2008)
John Hension, (1985–1986)
Roberta Johnson, (1985–1987)
B. Bramley, (1988-1998)
Quality Book Fairs, (1988–2006)
M. Pauer, (1989–1994)
H. C. Gardner, (1998–1998)
Pamela Ruesch, (1999–2013)
Music Market, (2000–2006)
Branagham Books, (2004–2010)
#118 West Liberty Street: Private Residence-c.-1900
Private Residence, (Prior to 1926)
Sam’s Barber and Beauty Shop, Sam and Martha Holland, Prop. (1927-1954)
1. Martha and Sam Holland business and residence in 1930,
2. Just a beauty shop in 1935–1954.
3. Machineless and Croquingole permanent waves in 1939.
Dr. R.J. Miller, Chiropractor, 2nd Floor, (1928-1932)
Bond Buick Parking Lot, (1955–1962)
1. Frank Bond bought the property just east of their present location at 120 West Liberty vacated by the Hollands. The house will be moved or razed. The lot measures 58x164 for automobile parking,
Private Parking Lot for #120 West Liberty Street customers (1963-2018)
#120 West Liberty Street: Fenton House- c.-1911, Bond Block- c. 1948
Fenton House, Walter J. ‘Tim Finnegan’ Fenton, (1911–1915)
Bertha Adalaide and Ira Alliston Welton (retired insurance agent), (1911–1913)
Fern Welton, (1915–1925)
1. Fern married Fred E. Corah a Traveling Salesman from Chicago; he stays here when he was in town in 1915.
Harry Damon in Fenton House, 2nd Floor, (1925–1928)
1. He is Manager of the County Garage.
Charles C. Robinson, (1929–1930)
George Ashman Richards and Sara Allen, 2nd Floor, (1930–1932)
1. (Farmer, Judge, and Medina Village Mayor)
Dr. R. L. Grierson, Physician, (1937–1939)
Hubert Codding, (1938–1941)
Fred O. Herrington, (1942-1944)
1. There are 5 rooms and a bath in Fenton House in 1943.
Medina Motors Company, Frank C. Bond, Owner, (1944–1948)
1. Frank Bond in 1944 built a concrete block building at the rear of his residence for a paint and body shop.
2. He will keep showroom at 140 West Liberty St. which he will occupy with W. L. Storage & Oil Company.
Bond Buick, Frank Bond, Owner, (1948–1962)
1. New Bond Buick building built in 1948.
2. Frank Bond sold his residence just west of Bond Buick to A.H. Hange who will move the house to the south end of his property on South East Street in 1949.
The 1911 Fenton House moved and now the Jay Summers home at 220 South East Street in 2017
3.. Frank Bond Buick started in Liberty Street Garage in 1942 at the corner of Elmwood and West Liberty Streets.
Medina Dodge Company, Inc. Ken Shorthouse, Prop. (1963–1966)
Medina Auto Parts Company, Edwin Morse, Prop. (1967–1972)
Medina Auto Parts, Ronald and Leonard Morse, Prop., (1972–1996)
Medina Auto Parts, Michael and Mark Morse, Prop., (1997–2013)
Carquest Auto Parts, Jeff Taylor, Manager, (2013–2014)
Advance Auto Parts, Jeff Taylor, Manager, (2015–2018)
#130 West Liberty Street: Carey House,- c-1841, Waters and Levet Bldg.-1916
Carey House, (1865-1915)
Waters and Levet Rooming House (1916-1947)
1. A New 17-room rooming house just west of Walter Fenton house at #130 West Liberty Street was leased by Ralph W. Reinhart.
2. Property owned by Carey family for many years next to the Fenton house on West Liberty Street was moved to East North Street. just east of Broadway in 1916.
3. Reinhart is conducting Lutz’s Restaurant and a 13-sleeping rooming house at #113 West Liberty, almost across the street and will operate both with 25 total rooms and reading and writing rooms for transient guests and an apartment for him-self on the ground floor in 1916.
Dougherty Delicatessen, Max and Richard Daugherty, Prop. (1948–1959)
1. Walter Fenton sold property to Florence Dougherty in 1944.
Fosters Cleaners (1960-1969)
1. Foster Cleaners moved to the Morse Building at #117 West Liberty Street in 1969.
Building was raised between 1969 and 1971.
Medina City Public Parking Lot #3, (1985-2018)
#130.5 West Liberty Street: Carey House-c.-1841, Waters and Levet Bldg. 1916
The 2nd floor of #130 West Liberty Street were residential apartments after 1945.
Maxwell Dougherty, (1945-1960)
Mrs. Hilda Bates, (1948-1952)
Eddie Appenzelle, (1952-1952)
Robert Hanna, (1952-1956)
Sidney Casey, (1956-1960)
Ada Joy, (1956-1960)
Maxwell Dougherty, (1945-1960)
Ross and Karl Hamrick, (1960-1963)
Frances Pullin, (1960-1963)
Ellice M Kaufman, (1960-1963)
Jason E. Turnbaugh, (1963-1969)
John J. Lamb, (1963-1969)
Building was raised between 1969 and 1971.
#134 West Liberty Street: Waters House, 1863
Residential Home, (prior to 1941)
Security Federal Savings and Loan, Donald Kohler, Manager, (1952-1962)
1. Business moved to the Medina Shopping Center in 1963.
John W. Brown Insurance Agency, (1956-1959)
B and B Insurance and Real Estate Service, Tom Munson, Bill Baczuk, Frank Hopkinson, Agents (1959–1963)
Alan H. Wainwright Antiques, (1966-1969)
Building Demolished between 1970 and 1971
Vacant lot, (1972-1984)
Medina City Public Parking Lot, (1985-2018)
#134.5 West Liberty Street: Waters House, 1863
Private Residence prior to 1941: Apartment Rentals after 1941
Grace and Hubert H. Codding (1941-1942)
G. E. Knapp, (1941-1944)
John Offenberg, (1944-1947)
Glenn Dougherty, auto repair all models, 1948-1949)
Florence M. Dougherty, widow of Clyde J. (1948-1949)
Ada Joy, (clerk at Dougherty Deli), (1948-1949)
Florence C. and Lawrence J. Turney, (1948-1952)
Don G. Koehler, (1952-1956)
Maxine Davis, (1956-1960)
Buell Shelton, (1960-1963)
Building Demolished between 1970 and 1971
Medina City Public Parking Lot, (1985-2018)
#136 West Liberty Street: Ainsworth House, 1845, Oatman House, 1863, Edwards House, 1884, Liberty Street Apartments, 1935
1. The old house at #136 West Liberty Street, one door east of Liberty Street Garage, was built in 1845 and was razed in 1935.
2. One lot east of this property was the Sarah Waters home in 1863; two lots east was the home of Dr. E. D. Hard in 1863 and one lot west was the home of Edward Walling, a bandleader in 1863.
J. T. Ainsworth House, (1845-1863)
Orlin Oatman House, (1863-1871)
1. Belle Cleveland, hired girl of Orlin Oatman family took Aconite and died; thought it was a cold medicine.
Hannah Davis House, (1871-1883)
Robert Edwards House, (1884-1925)
1. Robert Edwards was the sexton of Medina Cemeteries and was the father of Hobart Edwards, local grocer.
Liberty Street Oil and Storage Company, (1925-1935)
1. The Robert Edwards property adjoining the garage of Liberty Street Oil and Storage was bought by company who will keep house and add 100 ‘x 32’ addition at rear for Medina Motor Co in 1927.
Snyder Liberty Street Apartments, (1935-1955)
1. Twenty-three years elapsed before the second apartment building was built in Medina Village by Mr. and Mrs. Fred Snyder. They constructed an apartment at 136 West Liberty Street in 1935.
2. This apartment building had four two-bedroom units which each rented for $35.00 a month, including utilities.
3.. The apartments had an insulated roof with central heating in the basement; an electric stove, refrigerator, and incinerator ineach suite; living rooms had plug-in phones and radio fixtures; venetian blinds were on steel casement windows; tiled bath; alaundry in basement of each suite; fireproof.
4.. Upon completion two apartments were already rented.
5.. In 1955 Freda Snyder sold the apartments to Harry and Doris Kern.
Kern Liberty Street Apartments, (1955-1983)
1. Doris Kern sold the apartments to Delmo and Elaine Orlandi in 1983.
Orlandi Liberty Street Apartments, (1983-2018)
#138 West Liberty Street: East Wing of #140 West Liberty Street Garage
Residential Property prior to 1927.
The Robert Edwards property adjoining the garage of Liberty Street Oil and Storage was bought by company who will keep house and add 100 ‘x 32’ addition at rear for Medina Motor Co in 1927.
Medina Pontiac Motor Company, (1927-1965)
Medina Stereo and Tape, Inc., (1966–1970)
Medina License Bureau, (1976-1978)
Building Demolished in 1983.
#140 West Liberty Street: Yocum Bldg.-1914, Liberty Street Garage, 1924,
Medina Paint, Varnish and Oil Company, Grover C. Yocum, Prop. (1914-1918)
1. Mary Yocum found week-old baby in a shed at the rear of the property near the office and barn in 1916.
2. Grover Yocum sold his business to Medina Oil and Refining for $150,000 in 1918.
Medina Oil and Refining Company, (1918-1923)
1. Medina Oil Company Elmwood Avenue plant had a $6000 fire in 1918.
Liberty Oil and Garage Company, (1924-1949)
1. The Robert Edwards property adjoining the garage of Liberty Street Oil and Garage bought by company who will keep house and add 100 ‘x 32’ addition at rear for Medina Motor Co in 1927.
Medina Motors Pontiac and Oakland Sales, Edward Gibbs and Dana Whipple, Prop. (1927-1929)
1. Medina Motors Pontiac/Oakland Sales partnership of Edward Gibbs and Dana Whipple was dissolved in 1929.
Medina Pontiac Motor Company, Frank Styer, Prop., (1929–1939)
1. Harvey F. Kraver and Erwin Brought were salesmen for Medina Motors in 1929.
Whitney Pontiac Sales Company, (1939-1942)
Medina Motors Buick, Frank C. Bond, Prop., (1942–1948)
1. Frank Bond Buick started in Liberty Street Garage in 1942 at the corner of South Elmwood and West Liberty Streets.
Liberty-Elmwood Company, (1949-1985)
1. Liberty Oil and Storage Company ownership changed to Liberty-Elmwood Company in 1949.
Medina Auto Sales, (1949–1955)
Medina Motors, Inc., Lincoln-Mercury Dealer, (1956–1965)
William Rapenchuk Realtor, (#140 East building) (1965–1978)
1. William Rapenchuk acquired Part-Lot 10 buildings from the Liberty-Elmwood Company in 1985.
2. Bill Rapenchuk sold Lot 10 to the Loyal Order Moose Lodge No. 647 in 1992.
#140 Building demolished between (1985 and 1992)
1. The Moose Lodge No. 647 sold the north end of Part-lot 10 to the City of Medina in 2013 for a Public Parking Lot.
Medina City Public Parking Lot, (2013–2018)
#504 West Liberty Street: Spitzer House-1891
Ceilan Milo Spitzer Property, (1890-1891)
1. The Aaron Bovee Spitzer family came to Medina County, Ohio in 1836.
2. Ceilan Spitzer was the oldest son of Aaron Bovee and Laura Maria (Perkins) Spitzer Ceilan and was educated in the schools of Medina and at Oberlin College.
3. In 1890, Ceilan Spitzer had the Spitzer House built in Medina Ohio, with a team of builders while he pursued expansion of his bond business in Boston Massachusetts.
4. His return to town to view the new home made front page news of the Medina County Gazette, December 26, 1890. “C. M. Spitzer, the well-known Boston banker, was several days in town this week looking at his new residence, which is nearing completion.”
5. His parents, Aaron and step-mother Anna Spitzer were given a life-long lease to the property in Medina in 1891 and the Spitzer family inhabited the house for the following 70 years.
Aaron and Anna Collins Spitzer Residence, (1891-1892)
1. Aaron was characterized in the Medina County Gazette as being …”known throughout the county as one of our most prosperous and intelligent farmers, one who has always been active and interested in public affairs, always giving aid to that which tended to the advancement and improvement of the common good.
2. “He was also engaged in the banking business for several years with his son Ceilan Milo Spitzer and Ludwig Wideman. He was a lover of horses and had some very fine specimens on his stock farm near Medina.
3. Aaron Spitzer retired from active business in 1886 and resided in the West Liberty Street Medina residence until his death in 1892.
Anna Collins Spitzer Residence, (1893-1923)
1. Aaron B. Spitzer passed away in 1892 after living in the home built for him and his wife in 1891 and the house was willed to Anna Spitzer.
2. Anna Marie Collins was born in Greenwich, Washington County, New York, on January 7, 1841. She came to Medina County at the age of 18 years in 1859. Anna married Aaron Bovee Spitzer November 20, 1862. Anna was Aaron’s second wife and to this union had three sons.
3. Anna Collins Spitzer passed away in 1923 and the property was passed to Evalyn Spitzer Woods.
Evalyn Spitzer Woods and Frank W. Woods Residence, (1923-1927)
1. Evalyn was the daughter of Ruth Arestene and Amherst T. Spitzer. She had one sister Cornelia and one brother, Elbert B. Spitzer.
2. Evalyn graduated from Medina schools in 1899. She married attorney Frank W. Woods and had three daughters, Ruth, Helen and Alice.
3. Frank W. Woods was a prominent Medina attorney, an Ohio State Legislature and leader in Medina civic affairs. His death occurred June 1927.
4. The West Liberty Street House passed to Evalyn and her husband in 1923 and she resided at the address for the next 37 years.
Evalyn Spitzer Woods Residence, (1928-1941)
1. In 1892, Evalyn’s father Amherst, and her uncles Ceilan M. and A. L. Spitzer, along with A. I. Root, C. J. Warner and other Medina business and professional men founded the First Savings Deposit Bank of Medina County.
2. It was the first bank in the county to pay interest on deposits, and the first bank to provide safe deposit facilities. Amherst was the first President of the Savings Deposit Bank; Elbert B. Spitzer became President in 1924.
Evalyn Spitzer Woods Residence, (Carriage House), (1941-1945)
1. The old Spitzer carriage barn was converted into a residence and was living quarters for Evalyn Spritzer from 1941 to 1945 and the address was listed as 137 South Prospect Street.
Earl M. Shelton Family Residence, (1941-1944)
1. Earl M. Shelton retail manager of Cleveland Shell Oil Company moved in the Spitzer house in 1941 and moved from the home in 1944.
John C. Davis and Ruth Woods Davis Residence, (1945-1951)
1. John C. Davis and wife Ruth Woods Davis moved into the Spitzer-Woods house in 1945.
2. John C. Davis, one-time owner of the Wadsworth News was married in 1925 to the former Ruth Woods daughter of Frank and Evalyn (Spitzer) Woods of Medina.
3. In 1945, Mr. Davis sold his interest in the newspaper and became a columnist, then farm editor and associate editor of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
4. Mr. Davis, usually accompanied by his wife, Ruth Woods Davis traveled extensively and became acknowledged as an expert on the economics of agriculture.
5. In 1951, John C. Davis moved to Washington, D. C. and, was one of the “Original one hundred" who formed the Eisenhower Administration. He served as assistant secretary of agriculture under Ezra Taft Benson.
6. Mr. Davis had been vice president of the public relations firm of Walker and Crenshaw in Washington; executive director of the National Small Businessmen's Association; public relations director of National Milk Producers Association and public relations director of the Soybean Council of America
7. He retired in 1960 to his home, Georgside' at 46 George St, Nassau, where be formed his own public relations firm. He gave up that firm in 1964 due to continued failing health and passed away in 1973.
Evalyn Spitzer Woods Residence, (1945-1960)
1. In 1945, Evalyn Woods moved from the Carriage house into her large house with the Davis family.
2. Evalyn Spitzer Woods passed away in 1960.
John A. and Helen H. Wyman Residence (Carriage House) (1945-1997)
1. In 1945, John A. and Helen H. Wyman bought the Spitzer Carriage House that was located at the rear of the Spitzer House at 137 South Prospect Street.
2. In 1997, Helen H. Wyman sold the Carriage House residence at 137 South Prospect Street to Robert J. Kokai, Jr
3. John Wyman passed away in March, 1973 and Helen in October, 1999.
George W. and Edna L. Kilkenny Jr, Residence, (1962-1990)
1. In 1962, George and Edna Kilkenny purchased the Spitzer property and Lots 308-309 from the Spitzer Estate.
Dale L. and Janet L. Rogers Residence, (1990-1994)
1. In 1990, Dale and Janet Rogers purchased the residence at 502 West Liberty Street from George and Edna Kilkenny.
Spitzer House Bed and Breakfast, Dale L. and Janet L. Rogers, props. (1994-2009)
1. In 1994, Dale and Janet Rogers converted their residence into a Bed and Breakfast and named it the Spitzer House.
Robert J. Kokai Jr Residence, (Carriage House) (1997-2014)
1. In 1997, Helen H. Wyman sold the Carriage House residence at 137 South Prospect Street to Robert J. Kokai, Jr
2. In 2014, Delane Nagel purchased the Spitzer Carriage House residence from Robert J. Kokai Jr at 137 South Prospect Street and at the rear of the Spritzer Bed and Breakfast.
Spitzer House, Vacant, (2009-2011)
Spitzer House Bed and Breakfast, Delane Nagel, prop. (2011-2018)
1. Delane Nagel purchased the Spitzer Bed and Breakfast property from Dale and Janet Rogers in 2011.
2. In 2014, Delane Nagel purchased the Spitzer Carriage House residence from Robert J. Kokai Jr at 137 South Prospect Street and at the rear of the Spritzer Bed and Breakfast.
3. This German Renaissance home remained in the Spitzer family for seventy years and is a fine example of the Queen Anne Architecture with Stick-Style design.
4. Experience the beauty and elegance of fine craftsmanship and style in this meticulously restored Victorian Home.
5. Located four blocks West of Historical Downtown Medina Square, Spitzer House is within walking distance of A. I. Root’s Candle outlet, fine dining, tea room, pubs, and spa and gift shops.
#535-538 West Liberty Street: Palmer House Hotel-1873
The former building on this lot was built by Harrison G .Blake in 1858 and was used as a stagecoach stop and has been said to have been a key stop for the slaves to escape through the Underground Railroad through their journey up North.
Over the years the building has been used as an inn, a rooming house, a brothel, a grocery store and a saloon and restaurant.
Palmer House Hotel, W.G. Tilley, prop., (1873-1874)
1. In 1873, Dr J. W. Palmer and son built the Palmer House a small 34’ x 50’ 2 story, wood and frame hotel near depot station on West Liberty Street.
2. Mr. H. G. Blake originally owned the land under the Palmer House hotel and sold the lot to Dr. J. W. Palmer in 1873 for $800 with the stipulation that no liquor would be sold, but once in business, the understanding was soon forgotten.
3. Palmer House Hotel became a stagecoach inn and stop as indicated by teeth marks on porch posts by wood eating horses called cribbers.
4. The hotel was next door to the depot until the depot was moved and it became the CSW&C Interurban stop.
Palmer House Hotel, Nelson W. Piper, prop., (1874-1875)
1. In 1874, J. W. Palmer sold the Palmer House Hotel to William O. Sanders for $5000
2. Nelson W. Piper (Medina County Sheriff from 1869 to 1873) leased the Palmer House as proprietor in 1874.
3. In 1875, W.O. Sanders sold the Palmer House Hotel to W. L. Stoaks of Wadsworth.
Palmer House Hotel, W. L. Stokes, prop., (1875-1881)
1. In 1881, W. L. Stokes sold the Palmer House Hotel to J. Olin.
Palmer House Hotel, J. Olin, prop., (1881-1883)
1. The Palmer House is rented to a private family in 1883.
Germania House Hotel, John Gluntz prop, (1884-1900)
1. Palmer House Hotel renamed the Germania House Hotel in 1884.
2. A piazza (veranda) was added on two sides of the hotel in 1884.
3. A stone sidewalk was added to the Germania House Hotel in 1897.
Germania House Hotel, Julia Anna and Andrew G. Miller, props, (1900-1902)
1. Julia and Andrew G. Miller leased the Germania House Hotel from John Gluntz for a hotel and stable in 1900.
2. Julia Anna and Andreas Gottleib Miller proprietor of the Germania House past year bought the Germania House Hotel for $4,000 in 1902 and renamed it the Miller House Hotel.
Miller House Hotel, Julia Anna and Andrew G. Miller, props, (1902-1917)
1. Mrs. A.G. Miller owns and cooks and served meals family style at Miller House Hotel in 1906.
2. Miller House Hotel for sale by A.G. Miller in 1911.
3. Mrs. A.G. Miller sold the Miller House Hotel property cross from the B&O depot in 1917 to David W. Schell.
Miller House Hotel, Mrs. Ben Shepard., prop., (1917-1924)
1. D. J. Shepard leased the Miller House Hotel and re-opened under Mrs. Ben Shepherd in 1917.
2. Mr. Davis, resident of the Miller House Hotel to sell one skunk dog broke on coons and part bird dog for $25 in 1919.
Medina West Side Cash Market, V. R. Musser, Prop., (1920-1922)
1. Miller House Hotel purchased for a Medina Cash Market by Clair Carlton in 1920.
2. Cash and Carry general store opened in west side of the Miller House Hotel at Rootville,
3. In 1920, a 20-30 car garage to be built at Miller House Hotel.
4. In 1922, cows and horses are for sale at the Miller House Hotel barn.
5. F. H. Brought sells cows and horses in barn 1923.
6. Hettie and Clare E. Bowman sold household goods and left in 1922.
7. Clare E. Bowman sold the Miller House Hotel to Will Cover in 1922.
Medina Cash Stores Company, L. K. Hunter and Albert Schmidt, props. (1922-1928)
1. Medina Cash Store business sold to L. K. Hunter and Albert Schmidt in 1922.
2. Medina Cash Stores sold the building to J. T. Calvert and C. W. Carlton Jr in 1928.
Bowman Restaurant, Clare Bowman, prop., (1925-1933)
1. Clare Bowman leased east side of the Miller House Hotel in 1924 and opened restaurant in 1925.
Miller House Hotel, Mrs. Leard, prop., (1928-1930)
1. The Miller Hotel on West Liberty Street leased by Mrs. Leard of Ravenna in 1928.
C. E. Bowman Boarding House, Clare Bowman, Prop., (1928-1929)
Medina West Side Cash Market, C. P. Dickerman, prop., (1928-1929)
1. Medina Cash Stores sold the building to J. T. Calvert and C. W. Carlton Jr in 1928.
Miller House Hotel, William Matthews, prop., (1930-1936)
Medina West Side Cash Market, Mrs. James Lampson, prop., (1930-1931)
1. In 1932, J. T. Calvert and Clair W. Carlton, Jr sold the building to E. R. and Jessie Stauffer.
2. In 1933, E. R. and Jessie Stauffer sold the building to B. W. and Elizabeth Tebbit.
L & K Evans Restaurant, L. K. Evans, prop., (1934-1935)
Lighthouse Restaurant, Hugh W. and Ruth Lamphear, props. (1935-1945)
1. Jack Lamphear leased the dining room on west side of Miller House Hotel in 1935 and also leased Bunker Hill Restaurant & tourist home from 1936 to 1945.
2. In 1938, B. W. Tebbit and Elizabeth Tebbit sold the building to Robert O. and Amelia Bowman.
Edwards West Side Market, Calbraith B. Edwards, prop., (1936-1950)
1. Calbraith W. Edwards West Side Grocery, the last corner store 48’ x 35’ ’in Medina,
2. Father Calbraith B. Edwards opened in 1936 to 1950.
Edwards West Side Market, (1950-1969)
1. Brother, Claude B. Edward’s left the Permold Company and took over the grocery store from 1948 to 1969.
2. In 1950, R. O. Bowman and Amelia Bowman leased the west side of the building at 538 West Liberty Street to C. B. Edwards for a grocery store.
Roeper Steakhouse, Eleanor and Russell P. Roeper, props. (1945-1969)
1. The Steakhouse in old Miller Hotel owned by Hugh ‘Jack’ Lanphear sold to E. Eleanor and Russell P. Roeper who will operate the Steak House business and restaurant in 1945.
2. The Steakhouse is occupied by Russell Roeper as restaurant and a rooming house,
3. In 1950, R. O. Bowman and Amelia Bowman leased the east side of the building at 535 West Liberty Street to Russell Roeper as a restaurant.
Roeper Steakhouse, Richard J. and Virginia Hinkel, props. (1969-1978)
1. In 1969, Amelia Bowman sold the building and property to Richard J. and Virginia Hinkel.
2. In 1978, Richard J. and Virginia Hinkel sold the building and property to James and Marcella M. Arndt
Medina Steakhouse and Saloon Dale Kovalchik, prop., (1984-2011)
1. Dale Kovalchik leased the “old Medina boarding house” and will open a restaurant in 1984.
2. In 1997, Dale Kovalchik dba CKF Partners, PLL purchased the building and property from John G. and Sandra Gunner
3. Kovalchik invested $80,000 in interior and exterior restoration at the Medina Steakhouse and Saloon.
4. The 5,026 SF 2 story building on a 1/3 acre corner lot has been fully renovated and meticulously maintained as a lovely upscale restaurant. The décor respects the building's rich history as a pub and social parlor, while also offering a casually elegant dining atmosphere.
Medina Steakhouse and Seafood Company, Ken Collins, prop., (2011-2015)
1. In 2011, Medina Steakhouse and Saloon changed its name to Medina Steak and Seafood Company, but it didn’t change its haunted reputation.
2. Employees believe that no less than three ghosts inhabit the restaurant;
The first is a woman named Anna or Ann. Marcelle Arndt, former owner and self-proclaimed parapsychologist, made contact with Anna through an Ouija board, and found out that she died at the inn in 1895. Anna is credited with mysteriously putting out a fire on the second floor and saving the building
The second spirit is that of a man who hanged himself in an upstairs hall. A visiting psychic called in to get rid of the ghosts came up with the name of Frank Curtis, a handyman who died on Christmas Eve, 1922.
The third spirit is that of another female. She simply goes by the name “M” and may or may not be the sister of Anna?
3. In 2015, Medina Steakhouse and Seafood Company closed.
Vacant, Ken Collins owner, (2015-2017)
Robby’s Recovery Center and Serenite Restaurant, (2017-2018)
1. The recovery center, with a culinary operation and restaurant, is being funded with a $300,000 grant secured by Medina County Chief Probation Officer Veronica Perry from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation.
2. County commissioners in May approved a two-year lease agreement for the building with owner Ken Collins, whose company is CKF Partners.
3. The rent will be $66,000 per year, plus a share of property taxes. The lease began June 1 and will continue through May 31, 2019.
4. County Administrator Scott Miller has said the plan included partnering with a nonprofit to operate the facility. The county will cover funding the first two years.
5. In 2017, Robby’s Voice was named a recipient of the FBI Director’s Community Leadership Award, one of 58 organizations honored nationwide.
6. The idea that everyone deserves a second chance is a guiding principle of Edwin’s Leadership and Restaurant Institute in Cleveland, a food-service training and support program for ex-offenders. Now, the organization is branching south, to Medina, and expanding its reach to help those recovering from drug and alcohol addiction.
6a. Officials of Recovery Centers of Medina, a non-profit group, announced today it will open Serenite Restaurant this spring.
7. The French brasserie and its training school will occupy space in a handsome Victorian-era clapboard off the village square once occupied by Medina Steakhouse.
8. Students will be trained to work in the kitchen as well as the dining room for careers in restaurants. Edwin’s founder Brandon Chrostowski will help shape the program, and it will be managed by Michael Flaherty, formerly of Edwin’s and most recently on the staff of Trentina.
9. The money was used to create Robby's Recovery Center in the former steakhouse at 538 W. Liberty St., a community resource center for recovering addicts and their families. Six months ago it was renamed Recovery Centers of Medina. The recovery center and Serenite will share the building for now.