#23 West-side Public Square: Bradley Block-c.1842, Union Block-1871
1. This was the first site of the A. I. Root Company. This two story building was originally divided into three store fronts. Extensive renovation in 1968 and 1982 exposed second story windows and added valuable retail space.
Bradley Dry Goods, Groceries and Shoes, Samuel H. Bradley, Prop. (1838-1841)
1. Samuel H. Bradley left the firm to manage the American House Hotel and also held two terms as Medina County Auditor in 1841.
Peake Dry Goods Store, Dr, Uriah H. Peake, Prop. (1842-1844)
1. Dr. Uriah H. Peake was United States Postmaster from 1829 to 1841.
Alcott Dry Goods Store, Leverett Alcott, Prop. (1844-1849)
1. Leverett Alcott was born in CT in 1820, and died in 1902, He arrived in Medina in 1844 and had a dry goods business in old Peake store (where the Bradley store is now) to 1849. His brother was P.C. Alcott.
Terrill Dry Goods, Groceries and Shoe Store, William Terrill, Prop. (1850-1853)
Bradley and Boult, Dry Goods, Groceries and Shoes, Samuel H. Bradley and G. A. L. Boult, Props. (1853-1856)
1. In 1853, he became a member in the partnership of Bradley and Boult, the latter being at the time Auditor; but he officiated in the store and Mr. Bradley bought Mr. Boult's interest in the business in 1856.
2. They bought out the store of William S. Terrell.
Bradley Dry Goods, Groceries and Shoes, Samuel H. Bradley, Prop. (1856-1861)
1. Bradway and Boult partnership was dissolved in 1856.
2. The firm E. G. and E. J. Fenn have purchased the stock of dry goods from the S. H. Bradley Store in 1861 and will hereafter carry on the establishment at the old stand in the Empire Building.
3. Samuel bought out the hardware business of H. W. Brown, and has been in that line ever since.
Bradley Dry Goods, Groceries and Shoes, Samuel H. Bradley, Prop. (1856-1861)
1. Bradway and Boult partnership was dissolved in 1856.
2. The firm E. G. and E. J. Fenn have purchased the stock of dry goods from the S. H. Bradley Store in 1861 and will hereafter carry on the establishment at the old stand in the Empire Building.
Garrett Millinery Store, Miss Anna Garett, Prop. 2nd Floor, (1857-1859)
Ainsworth Dry Goods Store, Danford Ainsworth, Prop. (1857-1860)
Tiffany’s Drug Store, Henry B. Tiffany, Prop. (1857-1870)
1. 1858-Our Druggist, Mr. Tiffany, informs us he has just received a new and fashionable lot of toilet fixings, for thespring trade. Perfume of the very latest style and of the richest fragrances. He says he wishes to see all those who are judges of such articles at his store. He can suit them in quality, quantity and price.
2. Tiffany’s lost all drugs, medicines and stock in the 1870 fire and did not resume their business.
Treat Wholesale and Retail Grocery Store, Marcus J. R. Treat, Prop. (1860-1861)
1. 1860 - "A new wholesale and retail grocery is to be opened in the Ainsworth block soon under the management of Mr. Treat." Also referred to in advertising as the “Medina Cash Store”.
A. I. Root Jewelry, A. I. Root, Prop. (1860-1878)
1. Manufacturing jewelers; pure coin silver; rings and gold chains of every style and variety; solid gold work made to order.
2. Root will mail or express jewelry to any part of the U.S. or Canada.
3. 1874 - "A corner in honey combs has been made by A.I. Root, the "Novice of bee culture." After a great deal of time, thought and labor, expended on the matter, with the assistance of A. Washburn, a machine was invented for making honey comb out of beeswax, and on trial it worked to a charm. The little busy bee adopted it as if it had been of its own getting up, and beekeepers throughout the country hailed it as of the greatest value.
4. 1875-KIND READER, if you are in any way interested in BEES or HONEY, we will with pleasure send you a sample copy of our Monthly “Gleanings in Bee Culture.” Simply write your address on a postcard and address A. I. Root and Co., Medina, Ohio.
Norton Millinery Shop, Mrs. Mary Norton, Prop. 2nd Floor, (1859-1870)
1. Mrs. Norton flatters her by having been engaged in the Millinery business for seven years to give satisfaction to all.
Young and Codding, Attorneys and Solicitors, John B. Young and C. D. Codding, 2nd Floor, (1860-1865)
Robertson and Clark Job Printing Company, 2nd Floor, (1867-1870)
Dr. J. N. Robinson, Physician and Surgeon 2nd Floor, (1867-1870)
Sanders and Sturgis Stove and Tin Shop, Will O. Sanders and Luscious Sturgis, Props. (1869-1870)
1. Sanders and Sturgis Stove and Tin shop was a total loss in the 1870 fire.
The Ainsworth Block was destroyed in the fire of 1870 and rebuilt and occupied in 1871 as the Union Block.
Bradley and Son, Hardware, Dry Goods, Groceries and Shoes, S. H. Bradley, Prop. (1871-1880)
1. In 1870, his business was destroyed by the great fire, his loss reaching $9,500, on which there was an insurance of $6,000. He soon re-built, and added queens and glass ware and pottery to his line of hardware. He also took his son into partnership, the style of the firm being S. H. Bradley & Son.
2. Bradley Store in the Union Block was rebuilt as the largest store in town by using two store fronts.
Sanders and Sturgis Stove and Tin Shop, Will O. Sanders and Luscious Sturgis, Props. (1871-1880)
1. After the 1870 fire they rebuilt on their original site.
2. Five hands are employed in tin and sheet iron products and work in all patterns made to order in 1872.
Sanders and Munn Stove and Tin Shop, Will O. Sanders and E. D. Munn, Props. (1873-1875)
Munn and Shaw Stove and Edward D. Munn and Thomas S. Shaw, Props. (1875-1880)
1. The second floor was called the Union Hall and used for programs and meetings.
A. I. Root Jewelry, (1871-1878)
1. In 1871, A. I. Root Jewelry Store was rebuilt on the same site and the Union Building was heated by basement furnaces.
Rounds and McClure Groceries and Provisions, A. W. McClure and Frank Rounds, Props. (1870-1874)
1. They were one of the first businesses to occupy the new Union Block after the 1870 village fire.
McClure Groceries and Provisions, Alexander W. McClure, Prop. (1874-1875)
1. Alexander was successor to the partnership of Rounds and McClure Grocery and Provisions Store.
Munn Groceries and Provisions Store, Edward D. Munn, Prop. (1875-1876)
1. Mr. Munn sold out his interest in the stove and tin business to W. O. Sanders and bought out the grocery establishment of A. W, McClure in the same season in 1875.
2. In June, 1875 Mr. Munn sold his grocery business to George W. Hobart in the Union Block.
3. In October, 1876 Mr. Munn bought out the grocery store of T. H. Johnson in the Gazette Block (#205 South Court Street) where he continues operate.
Hobart Grocery and Provisions, George W. Hobart, Prop. (1876-1880)
Bostwick and Barnard Attorneys and Insurance Agency, 2nd Floor, N. H. Bostwick and S. G. Barnard, (1874–1899)
Jackson Millinery Store, Mrs. O. M. Jackson, Prop. 2nd Floor, (1876-1878)
1. Mrs. Jackson rooms are over the Samuel H. Bradley and Sons Store in 1878.
2. Miss Gardner, of York Township, who will soon go to Japan as a missionary, bought half a dozen hats at Mrs. Jackson’s to take with her.
Turner Boot and Shoe Store, Edward D. Turner, Prop. (1877-1880)
Dr. G. N. Seeley, Dentistry, 2nd Floor, (1877-1880)
1. Dr. Seeley with offices over Hobart Grocery Store is equipped with the most improved apparatus and his skill will no doubt secure a large public patronage.
Beach Boots and Shoe Store, A. L. Beach, Prop. (1878-1878)
1. A L. Beach will move to Grand Ledge, Michigan in 1878.
Foskett Grocery and Provision Store, Hosea P. Foskett, Prop. (1880-1886)
1. H. P. Foskett purchased the McClure Grocery and Provision Store in 1880.
Shepard Feed Store, Oliver Collins Shepard, Prop. (1886-1893)
1. O. C. Shepard passed away in 1893 and his three sons, A. E., P. W. and D. C. Shepard took over the business operation in the store and at the mill on Smith Road.
Shepard Magnificent Flour Store, A. E. Shepard, P. W. Shepard, and D. C. Shepard, Props. (1893-1936)
1. O. C. Shepard Company has a new brick addition to his store in 1916.
The store was occupied by Shepard Feed and Flour Store for a consecutive 50 years at 23 Public Square.
Warner Dry Goods Store, Carlos J. Warner, Prop. (1890-1895)
1. 1890 - "An event that has not been equaled by any of our sister town, and has rarely been surpassed by the more pretentious stores of the larger cities, was the grand opening of C. J. Warner and Son's magnificent new store room Sept. 10th. Despite the stormy weather nearly everybody in town was present to the brilliant and novel scenes, and the innumerable goods that make up the modern dry goods store. Weiling's excellent orchestra furnished the music for the occasion, and the latter part of the evening was spent in dancing."
2. 1890 - "C. J. Warner has purchased the Union Block on the west, side of the square, now occupied by Yoder Bros., as a shoe store.
3. C. J. Warner and son, C. E. Warner will move their dry goods store into this building, and it is rumored that a new dry goods store is to be started in the room vacated by them in the Phoenix Block."
4. 1909 Warner store has a new awning. In 1902 they remodeled the store front. The show windows were incased and finished in white enamel but, the length of widows were reduced.
C. E. Warner and Company Dry Goods Store Charles. E. Warner Prop. (1895-1915)
1. Carlos J. Warner retired from the firm after many years in the business harness. Charles has been associated in the business with his father for several years and will lead the new firm with Dick Rowe, a former clerk.
Warner-Hemmeter Dry Goods Company, Charles E. Warner and William Hemmeter, Props. (1915-1928)
Gensemer’s Clothing and Millinery Store, M. M. Gensemer, Prop. (1915-1940)
1. M. M. Gensemer and E. C. Ziegler agreed to exchange store locations in 1940. Gensemer moved to #36 East Washington Street in the Phoenix Block and Ziegler took over their spot in the Union Block.
2. Russell Rapp Jewelry left Gensemer Store in 1940 when Ziegler’s took over the store.
White Dental Parlor, Dr. A. B. Allen. Prop. 2nd Floor, (1926-1930)
Dr. J. P. Patterson, Dentist, (1935-1939)
Atlantic and Pacific Food Stores, Howard Selser, Manager (1937-1955)
1. The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company aka the A & P Food Store have moved their operations to the newly opened Medina Shopping Center at the northern City limits in 1956.
Woody’s Billiards, E. E. Woodruff, Prop., 2nd Floor, (1945-1957)
1. Pool Room operator, Elbert E. Woodruff was fined $200 by Juvenile Court as they crack down on the Medina man for admitting minors in 1956.
Ziegler Department Store, Harold, Charles and Richard Ziegler Props, (1940-1980)
1. In 1956, the Ziegler store purchased the building adjoining to the north that is known as the Shepard Mill building and recently was the home of the A & P Grocery Store that has moved to the Medina Shopping Center.
Ziegler Department Store, Charles and Richard Ziegler, Props. (1980-1993)
This store was occupied as a Clothing and Dry Goods store for a consecutive 103 years.
Morton Photo Supplies, Edward Morton. Prop. 2nd Floor, (1948-1953)
Kline Store For Women, Keith Kline, Prop. 2nd Floor, (1956-1959)
1. Washington Properties purchased the Union Block and completely remodeled the building for multi-use businesses in 1993.
2. The following businesses are both 1st and 2nd Floor locations in new building design.
Expressions Gallery of Medina, (1995-1996)
Goodwin Floral Studios, Debra Goodwin, (1995-1996)
Kasper and Associates, Amy Kaspar, Prop. (1994-1997)
Spehler Glass Gallery, John Spehler, Prop. (1994-1997)
Pinnacle Computer, Larry Christopher, Prop. (1994-1997)
The Miniature Shop, Joann Wester, Prop. (1995-2001)
Renovations Salon and Spa, Jeanne Palker, Prop. (1994-2009)
Midland Title Security/ First American Midland Title, (1994-2010)
Cleveland Plain Dealer/ Medina County News Bureau, (1994-2006)
Wild Wings, Doug Zemmin and Sheri Ehrenfeld, Props. (1994-2006)
Washington Properties, Mike Rose, Prop. (1993-2016)
Medina Camera and Gems, Anneliese Nefos, Prop. (1994-2014)
Country Aire Gift Shops, Fred and Karen Hicks, Prop. (1997-2002)
Partnership for 2003 Inc, (1998-2000)
Williams Investments, David Williams, Prop. (1998-2008)
Edward Jones Investments, Robert Mims, Manager, (1998-2016)
Chuck Calvert State Representative, (2000-2006)
Matthews Hair Studio, (2004-2007)
Marengo Institute, (2006-2008)
Eastwood Amish Craft Furniture, Lee Pagani, Prop. (2007-2016)
1. Amish craftsmanship is well-known.....and that reputation is well deserved. We combine this craftsmanship, quality wood stock, and designs that range from Country to Contemporary to give you what you want.
Bella Sorrella’s Salon, (2007-2009)
Main Street Medina, (2009-2014)
1. Main Street Medina moved their office to #5 Public Square in 2014.
Art 101 Galleries, Lisa Warner Bond, (2009-2014)
Proforma, Steinbacher and Associates, (2007-2009)
Imperial Shaving, Don Addleman, Prop. (2012-2016)
Vestige LTD, (2011-2016)
1. Business specializes in razor sharpening and repair.
Medina Gem Company, Anneliese Nefos, Prop. (2014-Present)
Potomac Bead Company of Ohio, Ann Mandanici, Mgr. (2013-2014)
1. Store relocated to the entrance at #109 West Washington Street in 2014.
Sand and Lace Fine Art and Gift Gallery, Sandi and Lacey, Props. (2016-Present)
Candyapple and Company, Debbie Stevens, prop. (2018-Present)
#28 West-side Public Square: Gibbs Bldg.-1857, Smith Dental Block–1871
Horace Gibbs Furniture Shop, Horace Gibbs, Prop. (1857–1867)
1. Gibbs made many coffins of rude black walnut affairs diamond shaped, plain with a coating of varnish or a black cloth or pall thrown over them.
Blackford Boots and Shoe Store, Christopher Blackford, Prop. (1859-1867)
Smith Drug and Book Store, Dr. S. J. Smith, Prop. (1867-1870)
1. Dr. Smith’s business stock and building was totally destroyed in the village 1870 fire.
Lampman Butter and Egg Store, S. P. Lampman, Prop., basement of Smith Block, (1865-1870)
1. They had an outside stairway on Court Street down to basement.
2. During 1878, he has bought and shipped from 5,000 to 30,000 pounds of butter and about five thousand dozen of eggs.
Blackford Boots and Shoe Store, Atwell Blackford, Prop. (1867-1880)
1. Atwell acquired the boot and shoe business from his father, Christopher in 1867.
Lampman Butter and Egg Store, S. P. Lampman, Prop., basement of Smith Block, (1872-1880)
Hard and Hayslip Drug Store, Dr. E. G. Hard and William H. Hayslip, Props. (1872-1874)
Hard Drug Store, Dr. E. G. Hard, Prop. (1875-1880)
Lillybridge Millinery Store, Mrs. Lillybridge, Prop. (1880-1881)
Blackford and Boult Millinery Store, Mrs. T. A. Blackford and Clare Boult, Props. (1881-1887)
Blackford Millinery, Mrs. T. A. Blackford, Prop. (1887-1889)
Allen Restaurant, D. W. Allen, Prop. (1887-1888)
1. D. W. Allen has opened a restaurant two doors north of Albro's corner, and will furnish warm meals at all hours to the hungry public. Give him a call.
Fisher’s Quality Shoe Store, L. O. Fisher, Prop. (1889-1914)
Fisher and Hyde Shoe Store, L. O. Fisher and Reuben J. Hyde, Props. (1914–1917)
1. Ex-County Treasurer R. J. Hyde has bought a half interest in the boot and shoe business of L. O. Fisher, and has assumed partial management of the new firm's business. “Whether it will be Fisher and Hyde or Hyde and Fisher is not announced, but it is safe to say that there will be no “Hyding" the fact that there will be plenty of "Fishing" for a fair share of the boot and shoe trade by the new firm.”
2. The Fisher and Hyde store room was refloored and reshelved with better lighting and a new plate glass front in 1916.
3. Hyde moved the shoe business to #201 South Court Street in 1917.
The store was occupied as a shoe store for a consecutive 27 years.
Gray Wall Paper Store J. G. Gray, Prop. (1914 -1917)
Fullers Fancy Goods Store, Nelson Otis Fuller, Prop. (1917–1938)
1. Fisher and Hyde are out of the store. N. O. Fuller leased their spot and will adjoin the two stores with a large archway and other alterations in 1917.
2. N. O. Fuller took over Gray’s wallpaper store in 1917
3. N. O. Fuller business block includes 2 stores owned by Lansing Smith heir’s in 1926.
4. Smith Dental building was the first store in town to have all indirect lighting in 1936.
5. In 1938, H. Y. Ziegler of Ziegler’s Display Store purchased the stock of Nelson O. Fuller from Mrs. Fuller who had conducted the business since the death of her husband in 1930.
The Art Shop, Thelma Durham, Prop. (1938-1940)
1. The Art Shop sells linens, fancy goods and drapes.
Rapp’s Jewelry Store, Russell Rapp, Prop. (1940–1956)
In June of 1936, Russell Rapp bought out the jeweler Sam Brainard, and created Rapp and Son, Inc.
1. Russell Rapp Jewelry left Gensemer Store in 1940 when Ziegler’s took over the store.
2. Russell Rapp and Son remodeled store with enlarge show windows, blond fixtures, new lighting in 1948.
3. Edith Morton worked at Rapp’s Jewelry from 1943 to 1967.
Rapp and Son Jewelry Store, Russell Rapp and William E. Rapp, Props. (1956-1980)
1. William Rapp remodeled the store to a Western Reserve colonial style in 1967.
Rapp’s Jewelry Store, William E. Rapp, Prop. (1980-1992)
1. Russell Rapp retired from the business in 1980.
Thurber’s Jewelry, William E. Rapp, Mgr. (1992–1996)
Stephen K. Beckwith, (1997–2000)
Logos Christian Bookstore, Cindy Smith, Prop. (2000–2004)
Washington Properties, Michael Rose, owner purchased the property in 2002.
Studio Knit, Anita Byrd, Prop. (2011–2015)
Jan Lee Vintage, Jan Holliday and Noelle Colahan, Props. (2015–2016)
1. Our customers consist of Collectors, Playhouses and Theater Groups, Fashion Designers and the everyday fashion forward woman.
Circles on the Square, Scott and Melissa Sandusky, Props. (2017-2018)
1. Circles on the Square offers a variety of freshly made gourmet, sprinkle and classic doughnuts.
2. The shop will also sell coffee brewed by Creative Living Coffee, a service provided by Medina Creative Housing.
#28.5 West-side Public Square: Smith Dental Block–1871, 2nd and 3rd Floors
Mason Photographic Gallery, J. S. Mason, Prop. 3rd Floor, (1875-1881)
Knights of Pythias Comet Lodge Hall, 3rd Floor, (1875-1881)
1. Comet Lodge No. 60 meets every Friday at their Hall in the Dental Block.
Dr. Lansing S. Smith, Dentist, (1877-1880)
1. Dr. L. S. Smith was the son of Dr. S. J, Smith long time practicing Dentist and Surgeon and owner of the #30 Smith-Yoder and #28 Smith Dental Buildings in 1872.
Dr. Hard and Dr. Jones, Physicians and Surgeons, (1877-1886)
Frank I. Hawkins, Artist and Photographer, 3rd Floor, (1881–1924)
1. Mr. Hawkins has been in his present location since 1881, and his reputation for portrait photographs is on equality with enviable name he has gained for outdoor work. He handles photographers’ goods and amateur outfits, making a specialty of hand cameras, his leader at $5 and $10 each.
Democrat Printing Office, 2nd Floor, (1886-1888)
Blackford and Company Millinery, Mrs. Blackford, Prop. (?-1886)
E. P. Floding Photo Studio, 3rd Floor, (1924–1925)
F. W. Simons Photo Studio, 3rd Floor, (1925–1929)
M. W. Denslow, Photo Studio, 3rd Floor, (1929–1930)
1. The old photo gallery on the 3rd floor was leased to M.W. Denslow for studio in 1929.
Dr. J. N. Brown, Dentist, 2nd Floor, (1929-1930)
Russell Rapp (1956-1963)
Gazette Leader Post-Ad Make Up, (1966-1969)
#30 West-side Public Square: Smith-Yoder Block–1871
Sipher Boots and Shoe Store, W. M. Sipher, Prop. (1861–1870)
Dr. S. J. Smith, a surgeon dentist since 1859, removed the fire rubbish from the cellar of his lot adjoining his Dental Block and built a 3 story building 19’ x 60” that adjoins Hard and Hayslip Drug Store in 1872.
Leach Clothier Store, O. N. Leach, Prop. (1871-1878)
Hobart Grocery and Provisions, George W. Hobart, Prop. (1876-1890)
1. George W. Hobart moved his business to the Smith Block in June 1876.
Yoder and Lewis Shoe Store, P. N. Yoder and L. A. Lewis, Props. (1891-1905)
1. 1891 - "One of the notable business changes in Medina is that of the new partnership formed by P.N. Yoder and L.A. Lewis of the firm of Foskett and Lewis. Yoder and Lewis will be the style of the new firm. Harry, son of L. A. Lewis, who has been with Yoder Brothers for some time, will remain a salesman in the store. The store will be removed to the Smith Block next to the Corner Drug store in a few days.
Yoder and Plank Shoe Store, Peter N. Yoder and Mr. Plank, Props. (1905-1912)
Oatman and Hedges Meat Market, Slim S, Oatman and Mr. Hedges, Props, (1913–1929)
Averill Flowers, (1930-1932)
Ladies Tailoring and Fur Shoppe, Mrs. Earl Averill, Prop. (1931-1932)
Lubins Square Deal Fruit Market, Julius “Jay” Lubin, Prop. (1932-1959)
1. Lubins Square Deal Fruit Market on west side of the square is installing a new glass front in 1940.
2. In April 1956, Lubin’s Market had a grand opening of the newly remodeled and redecorated store that includes new refrigeration cases for storage and display of frozen foods and dairy products.
Van Deivers Market, (1959-1963)
Organ Studios of Medina, (1963-1966)
Village Sandwich Shop, (1969–1971)
Soward’s Music Store, (1971–1974)
Parkhurst’s Flower Gallery, Ma and Big Al Parkhurst Family, Props. (1975-2006)
Flower Gallery, Anne Belinder, Prop. (2006–2014)
This store was occupied as a Flower Gallery store for a consecutive 39 years.
The Olive Tap, John Petrocehy, Prop. (2014–2018)
#31 West-side Public Square: Smith-Yoder Block–1871, 2nd and 3rd Floor
Unknown Proprietors or Occupants, (1871-1880)
G. H. Damon and G. A. Richards, Attorneys, to room over A. L. Beach Shoe Store with R.C. Curtiss (1880- 1899)
Jesse Williston Seymour, Attorney and Notary Public, (1887-1925)
1. Jesse “Will” Seymour, worked on farms and in stores and taught school for several years, read law, opened a Law Office in the Smith Block in 1887 and was in the same office until 1925.
Arthur M. Flanery Insurance Agency, (1924–1925)
Christian Science Reading Room, (1925-1930)
Boyd A. Davenport Insurance, (1942-1959)
On the 3rd floor of Lubin Fruit Market, George Laurenz built a boxing ring and training areas, (1947-1948)
1. The 3rd floor remodeled by Jacob Lubin in 1947.
Andrew H. Dudas Real Estate Office, (1953-1955)
Lubin Music Store, (1955-1964)
Studio House, J. Carl Householder, Prop. (1964- 1965)
Frankie Reynold’s School of Music (1965-1974)
The Community Design Committee, (1974-1985)
Kim Zarney, (1976-1979)
AAL Insurance, (1978-1980)
Town and Country Driving School, (1978–1981)
Height’s Driving School, (1989-1990)
Design Source, (1988–1991)
Adrian Suarez, (1994-1994)
Chris Mullet, (1995–1998)
Alan L. Parkhurst, (1997-1997)
Kathryn L. Forsythe, (1997–1997)
S. Atherton, (2000–2001)
Shari Simpson, (2002–2002)
Surface Dive, (2002–2008)
Molly Watson, Photographic Studio, Molly Watson, prop. (2018-Present)
1. Specializing in family, maternity and new born photography
#32 West-side Public Square: Green Tavern-1830, Albro Bldg.-1854, Selkirk Bldg.–1857, and Smith-Albro Block–1875
Green’s Tavern, Lyman Green, Prop. (1830-1852)
1. In 1839, William King sold the building on old lot 64 to Joseph Miner for $5,000 who in turn traded properties with Chester S. Hills. Vol. P-519
2. In 1844, Chester S. Hills sold the building to Havillah Selkirk, wife of Leander L. Selkirk for value unknown. Vol. W-510
Albro Grocery and Dry Goods Store, James H. Albro, Prop. (1854-1857)
1. In 1857, the Albro Building was a former Tavern with a 2 story galleried front porch
Selkirk Grocery and Provisions, Leander L. Selkirk, Prop. (1857–1860)
Selkirk Grocery and Tavern, Leander Selkirk, Prop. (1860–1870)
Goodwin and Hinman Groceries and Provisions, C. A. and Hiram Goodwin, Prop. (1867-1870)
1. Goodwin and Hinman Store were in the basement of the Selkirk building with entrance at 101 West Washington Street.
2. In 1870, the great village fire completely destroyed the building at 32 Public Square.
3. In late 1870, Leander Selkirk not interested in rebuilding after the fire sold the vacant lot to Dr. Sidney J. Smith for $800. Vol 26-499
4. In 1875 Dr. S. J. Smith owner of the lot on the southwest corner of Public Square vacant since the fire of 1870 proceeded to build a 3 story, brick building.
After 1870 Village fire, construction of the Albro Block was not completed and occupied until 1875.
1. James Harvey Albro purchased the Smith Building for $5,500 in 1875 and completed the construction. Vol. 33-482
Albro Drug Store, Willis H. Albro, Prop. (1875–1908)
1. Albro, Willis H. son of James Harvey and Anna Hudson Albro is one of the leading merchants and business men of Medina, is proprietor of the large and popular drug store located on the corner of Washington and Court streets, where he established his present business in April, 1876. He has been a resident of Medina since December 24, 1846, at which date occurred his birth. After acquiring the education afforded by the common schools he followed out an early desire of learning the drug business, and so spent about a year and a half with Dr. Hard, studying in the mean time for his chosen work. After a thorough preparation he embarked in business and has been highly successful financially and otherwise.
2. He is a stockholder and director of The Old Phoenix National Bank and is classed as one of the best business men in the county. Fraternally Mr. Albro is a life member of Lake Erie Consistory 32nd degree, life member of Al-koran Temple Mystic Shrine; member of Medina Lodge No. 58, Medina Chapter No. 30, Lancaster Commandery No. 2, F. & A. M.
3. Willis H. Albro, Physician and Druggist, and Dealer in books, stationary and notions.
4. In 1888, Father James H. Albro transferred ownership of the building to his son Willis H Albro for $1.00. Vol. 50-558
5. Albro has had the interior of his drug store freshly painted and varnished and the walls papered and frescoed, making the store very handsome in 1888.
Wall Drug Store, Willard J. Wall, Prop. (1908–1924)
1. W. H. Albro Drug Store leased to his clerk Willard J. Wall in 1908.
2. W. J. Wall installed individual sanitary drinking system at his ice-cream and soda water department and every cup will be a new one 1915.
Webber’s McKesson Drug Store, Walter Webber, Prop. (1924–1938)
1. Walter Webber long time Pharmacist at Wall Drug Store bought the drug store business from Willard J. Wall in 1924.
Anderson Drug Store, John M. Anderson, Prop. (1938–1956)
1. John M. Anderson, a graduate of Ohio Northern University Pharmaceutical School and a 10 year salesman with Lilly and Company purchased the Webber Drug Store owned by Walter Webber since 1924.
2. He was one of the local business men's group which stimulated interest in starting Medina Community Hospital and was the vice president and a trustee when the institution opened in 1944, serving several years. A long-time member of the Masonic order, he was also a 32nd degree.
3 In 1955, investor Neal S. Kellogg purchased the building at 32 Public Square from the Lillian Albro estate. Vol. 225-19
Pictured in photo is Walter Webber former owner of the Corner Drug Store and current Pharmacist at Anderson Drug Store.
Owner John Anderson greets a customer at the pharmacey cash register in 1952.
Anderson Drug Store, Elizabeth Anderson, Prop. (1956-1968)
1. John M. Anderson died in 1956 and his wife, Elizabeth took over management until 1968.
Anderson Drug Store, David Rodgers, Prop. (1968–1978)
1. David Rodgers long time Pharmacist at the Anderson Drug purchased the drug store business from the Elizabeth Anderson estate in 1968.
2. In 1971, David Rodgers purchased the building from the estate of Neal S. Kellogg
The store was occupied as the Albro, Wall, Webber and Anderson Drug Stores for a consecutive 103 years.
D&E Coins, In Drug Store, (1976–1979)
Yarn Cellar in Basement, (1977–1981)
The Corner Store, (1978–1985)
1. In 1980, David Rodgers sold the building at 32 Public Square to Central National Bank (Society National Bank) for the balance due of $46,700. Vol. 63-680
Western Union, (1985–1987)
1. In 1986, Central National Bank Company sold the property and building to KPR Ltd Partnership (Paul J, and Karen E. Schlather) for $95,000. Vol. 323-505W
RPM Travel, (1988–1998)
1. RPM Travel moved here from #201 South Court Street in 1988.
2. In 1990, KPR Ltd Partnership sold the building to investors William P. and Patricia Boyle. Vol 590-109w
My Dolls, (1999–2000)
Older Brothers Sports, (2001–2002)
All Things Possible, (2004–2005)
J. Marco on the Square, Ladies Apparel Store, J. Marco, Prop. (2005-2007)
Medina County Convention and Visitors Bureau, Daniel Hostetler, Prop. (2008–2018)
#33 West-side Public Square: Green Tavern-1830, Albro Bldg.-1854, Selkirk Bldg.–1857, and Smith-Albro Block–1875, 2nd Floor Offices, 3rd Floor, Masonic Hall
3rd Floor, Masonic Hall (1876-1925)
1. Medina Lodge, No. 58 F. & A. M. meets here monthly.
Unknown Occupants, 2nd Floor, (1860-1887)
Frank Heath, Attorney, (1887-1900)
Drs. W. B. Croft and Damon, Physicians and Surgeons, (1887-1888)
1. The Doctors have dissolved their partnership. Both will remain at the old stand over the corner drug store.
Dr. W. B. Croft, Physician and Surgeon, (1888-1891)
Dr. Damon, Physician and Surgeon, (1888-1891)
Retired Gentlemen of Leisure: Bradley, Boult, and Albro
A scene anywhere near analogous to this can now only be found around the fountain in the center of the park where the benches are ever popular on a warm day. However adisplay of two derbies and a silk "topper" as shown in this picture would come to being the next thing to a circus sideshow in this day and age. The derby and high hat for everyday use are characteristic articles of apparel of a past generation just as the old wood reed-bottomed chair for the use of retired gentlemen of leisure has been replaced by the iron bench. The three gentlemen here are. reading from left to right, S. H. Bradley, G. A. L. Boult and Harvey Albro, pictured in front of the old Albro Corner Drug store, now Webbers Drug store.
All three of these men were retired merchants at the time this picture was taken. S. H. Bradley, whose home was on the corner of Washington and Broadway streets, and has since been moved down Broadway to an adjoining lot to make way for Taggart's Service station, was the proprietor of a ,hardware store. G. A. L. Boult, a dry goods merchant, lived in the present W. J. Anderson home on East Washington Street. His son. George, later became affiliated with Will Hemmeter in the Phoenix store. Harvey Albro, father of the late Willi Albro and grandfather of Miss Lillian Albro lived in the Bartholomay home on the corner of Liberty and Huntington Streets.
He established the drug store, in front of which the three are sitting and his son who years later sold it to the late W. J, Wall, who in turn sold out to the present owner, Walter Webber. This picture was hardly taken by "happenstance" for the chairs were more or less permanent fixtures to the front of the store and the three men were likewise permanent fixtures to the chairs. Throughout the summer in their later years they spent their leisure hours talking and visiting and watching life in the street to past them.
Although these old patriarchs had a permanent lease on this corner there was a group of younger men who also had a store front to call then own. Orlln Jackson. Orve Dealing. Sam Scott and Charlie Hobart with a few others occupied a similar pavilion in front of Hobart’s store further up the block.
Medina Library and Reading Room, 2nd Floor, (1891-1900)
1. 1891 - The opening of the new reading room and library in the Albro Block, March 4th, called out many of its friends and patrons. The rooms are very cozy and attractive, and it is a most excellent enterprise.
2. Medina Library Association and Reading Room moved to the Barnard-Hemmeter Block in 1900–1907
Nathan H. McClure, Attorney, (1894-1900)
Roy Kimmel's popcorn wagon sitting on the corner of the Medina Square, sold to Lawrence and Edward Newberry (sons of W. F. Newberry) as described in the Medina Sentinel paper May 27, 1907.....td
Unknown Occupants, 2nd Floor, (1900-1938)
Medina School of Stage Dancing, 3rd Floor, Jack Harmon, Prop. (1938-
Van Epp and Laribee Attorneys, Arthur Van Epp and Henry Laribee, 2nd Floor, (1938-1948)
Laribee and Cooper, Attorney’s, Henry Laribee and Clark Cooper, (1948-1969)
Unknown Occupants, 2nd Floor, (1969-1976)
Frank B. Hall and Company, (1976-1979)
Lorentzen Levolor, (1976-1979)
Trains, Limited, (1976–1978)
Aid Assistance for Lutherans, (1979-1985)
Larry Corder, (1979-1985)
Town and Country Driving School, (1979-1985)
Manville Corporation, (1988-1991)
West Erie BL and Construction, (1988–1991)
Jack M. Kinney, Attorney , (1992–1992)
Roger Ingraham, Attorney, (1992–1992)
1. In 1990 KPR Ltd Partnership sold the building to investors William P. and Patricia Boyle. Vol 590-109w
William P. Boyle Jr., Residence (1997-2015)
1. In 1993, investors William P. and Patricia Boyle. began an extensive remodeling program converting the 2nd and 3rd office space into beautiful residential areas.
First Mason Financial, Daniel Mason Prop. (2015-Present)
1. Daniel Mason, First Mason Properties LLC purchased the property and building from William P. and Patricia Boyle in 2015.
2. The new owner of the building, First Mason Financial are proprietors on 2nd and 3rd floors