National Register of Historic Places
#6 West-side Public Square: Sanders Block-1855, Canavan Block-1884, Wood Block-1888, National Bank Block-1900, and Hartman Block-1927
Poe Clothing Store, Andrew, Poe, Prop. (1848-1854)
1. We find that on April 1, 1854, Aaron Sanders brought out the entire stock of clothing of A. Poe, and advertise a large and splendid assortment of clothing “made expressly for this market."
Medina Clothing House, Aaron Sanders, Prop. (1854-1865)
1. Aaron Sanders came to Medina in 1836 with his father who was a Cooper.
2. Aaron Sanders trained as a tailor and by 1840 at age 16 was a merchant for an English trading company in Medina.
3. Aaron Sanders visited the Rocky Mountains in 1844 and also Mexico and was a 49’er by horseback and mule from 1849 to 1851.
D. A. Wells in Aaron Sanders store selling jewelry, cutlery and watches, (1866-1870)
Sanders and Foskett, Merchant Tailors, Aaron Sanders and Porter Foskett, Props. (1865-1870)
1. Aaron Sanders purchased the Commercial Block in 1869.
The Sanders building was destroyed in the village fire in 1870 and was rebuilt and reopened in 1873.
Sanders Clothing Store, Aaron Sanders, Prop. (1873-1880)
1. A new plank sidewalk was installed in front of the Sander’s store in 1877.
2. Aaron celebrated 61 years in the IOOF with a bell solo and whistling solo; to get him out of the room they asked him to raise a window, he did so with a window stick, says Gazette in 1910.
3. John Steeb tailors had a room over Sanders Clothing Store, with an entrance from an outside stairway in 1880.
The New York Racket Store, C. Stevick, Prop.(1881-1887)
1. The Racket Store features Ladies wear and Gent’s furnishings and Children’s shoes.
Anthony Canavan purchased the Sanders Block from Aaron Sanders April 1884
B. H. Wood and Company, (1888)
1. 1888 - The Canavan Block on the Square has been purchased by B. H. Wood and Company, who will thoroughly remodel it, putting in a French plate glass front and otherwise improving it.
2. “In 1888, a new sidewalk of four large stone slabs has been laid in front of B. H. Wood and Co. new block, and the old walk in front of O. C. Shepard’s store has been replaced by a slab of the same size. It would be a great improvement if the walk along to whole square would be made over the same way.” Gazette Editorial.
Watring Restaurant, J. W. Watring, Prop. (1888-1894)
1. J. W. Watring of Kent, formerly of Lafayette Township, has opened a restaurant in the Anthony Canavan building.
VanEpp Grocery Store, Arthur VanEpp Prop. (1894-1895)
1. Arthur VanEpp purchased the groceries and fixtures of the D. H. Bachtell Store in the Pauli Block and moved into the Wood Building in 1894.
Allan Fancy Grocery Store, A. R. Allan, Prop. (1895-1895)
1. Allan is successor to VanEpp Grocery Store in 1895.
Wideman Fresh Grocery Store, H. B. Wideman, Prop. (1896-1898)
1. H. B. Wideman purchased the stock and fixtures of the Allan store in 1896.
Medina County National Bank, B. H. Wood, President, (1899-1927)
1. Medina County National Bank purchased the building from B. H. Wood and Company for $5,500 in December, 1900.
2. Two new nitrogen-filled elect lights installed on Medina County National Bank Block, each with 1000 candle power in 1914.
3. Medina County National Bank sold the building to the K. of P. Lodge for $15,000 for 1st floor business rental and 2nd floor meeting rooms, but they backed out of the sale in 1927 because they wanted to extend the building to the rear, but it would have blocked the rear windows of Hobart Block adjoining on the north,
4. Medina County National Bank sold the building to E. P. Hartman in 1927.
5. E. P. Hartman sold the building to his son, Stanley Hartman in 1951.
Allen Brothers Shoe Store, J. C. Burns, Manager, (1927-1931)
1. E. P. Hartman leased 1st floor to David Allen and Brothers of Lorain, Ohio, a shoe store chain in 1927 and remodeled the building with a new store front in 1927.
Vacant or Unknown Proprietors (1932-1937)
Libby Shoppe, Ladies Clothes, Louise Arick, Prop. (1938-1947)
1. Libby Shoppe remodeled in 1945, and 1947.
Robert’s Women’s’ Apparel, M. Levine, Prop. (1947-1948)
1. Robert’s has a complete apparel line.
2. M. Levine proprietor, has a buying office in New York and will sell national advertised brands.
3. Levine had a ladies’ shop in Pittsburgh for 18 years.
4. Louise Arick former owner of Libby Shoppe will be associated with the M. Levine store
Whitey’s Surplus Store, (1949-1958)
Magic Carpet Store, Johanna Hahn, Prop. (1959-1983)
Midland Title Security, Inc. (1986-1994)
Sherrod Brown, (1995-1995)
Thunder Bay Trading, (1996-1997)
Evelyn M. Lisco, (Mary Peterka,), (1997-1998)
Gazette Gift Shop, (1999-2000)
Avenues of Counseling and Mediation, (2000-2003)
James R. Leaver Company, (2008-2014)
James B. Palmquist III, LPA Offices, (2014-2018)
The Store was occupied as a Clothing and Dry Goods store for a consecutive 40 years.
#7.5-#8.5 West-side Public Square: Hobart Bldg.-1858, Commercial Block-c.-1871, 2nd Floor
Dr. E. G. Hard, Physician, (1866-1872)
1. Having just retired from the Army, I offer my medical services to the citizens of Medina and vicinity.
Dr. G. D. Billings, Dentist, (1872-1878)
G. H. Mummaw (Eyesight Specialist 1916), Chiropractor, 2nd Floor, (1916 -1956)
Elsworth Hartman, Apartment, (1949-1957)
Vaughn L. Hartman, Dr. Retired, Apartment, (1957-1977)
#8-5 Public Square – The Hartman Family Residence,
1. DR. VAUGHN LIONEL HARTMAN was born in Medina County on January 24th, 1902, where he lived with his parents Ellsworth P. Hartman and Mildred "Mille" M. Orton. In 1936 he was appointed the County Commissioner of Health and by 1952 his parents lived in the apartment above 7-10 Public Square. One of the most prominent figures to reside at 7-10 Public Square, Hartman moved in after his parents moved and stayed for 20 years. The Hartman family owned the complex and his time there was documented by the Medina County Gazette. Hartman raised a family and lived in Medina for the rest of his life until dying in 1991 at age the age of 89. His dedication to the fabric of the building, and his aid to his fellow citizens were vital to preserving a history of 7-10 Public Square.
Carroll B. McClure, Attorney, (1960-1962)
Magic Carpet, (1971-1972)
Vacant (#8.5), (1977-1978)
Darla Dirk and Scott Gilbert, (1979-1980)
Richard A. Stafford and Associates, (1981-1982)
Robert E. Deken, CPA, (1982-1986)
Jill Heck, Attorney, (1989-1995)
Mark J. McGregor, CPA, (1989-1992)
Tony Lunguaro, (1996-1999)
Ormandy’s Train Museum, (2002-2018)
#8-#10 West-side Public Square: Hobart Bldg.-1858, Commercial Block–c.1871
Due to a fire in the 1920’s, the building was rebuilt reflecting the architectural style at the time. The Commercial Building was designed by E. E. Clapp, a Cleveland Architect.
Hobart Grocery and Provisions, George W. Hobart, Prop. (1858-1870)
1. Hobart lost the building and all his stock in the village fire in 1870, but rebuilt in 1871.
Hobart Grocery and Provisions, George W. Hobart, Prop. (1871-1876)
1. George W. Hobart moved his grocery business to the Smith Dental Block in June 1876.
Smith Jewelry Store, E. T. Smith, 2nd Floor, (1875-1876)
1. Miss A. M. Nichols Millinery Shop was in part of Smith’s Jewelry Store. (1875-1876)
Root Jewelry, Marshall Samuel Root, Prop. (1877-1880)
1. M. S. Root (A. I. Root's brother) moved here from Michigan and bought out E. T. Smith jewelry in 1877.
2. Then there was the story of M. S. Root, A. I.'s brother. After losing his home and business in the Michigan fires, he came back to Medina to start anew. He built a foundry on the west side of town at a cost of $6,000. He worked overtime to get it all up and running, ready for the spring work of fashioning and repairing farm implements. It all went up in smoke on April 27, 1874, before he could even get started. It marked the third! time in three years he was wiped out by fire. M.S. Root must have been an advocate of an effective fire department and a proponent of fire insurance, even if no one else was paying attention. In 1875, Medina Village Council defeated a motion to buy two-dozen buckets; they were still reluctant to tax the people for fire protection. In 1877, it happened again; Medina's lovely Empire Block went up in smoke and fire and was totally destroyed
Jackson Millinery and Fancy Goods Store, Mrs. O. M. Jackson, Prop. (1870-1876)
1. One of the oldest millinery stores that served ladies of the village from several Public Square store fronts.
Kilpatrick Millinery Store, Mrs. R. W. Kilpatrick, Prop. (1876-1880)
1. Mrs. Kilpatrick purchased the millinery business of Mrs. O. M. Jackson in 1876.
2. Mr. and Mrs. Kilpatrick arrived in Medina in 1875, a very handsome and cultured couple. No one wanted to accuse them when store caught fire twice, but the 3rd time it was found stuffed with oil-soaked rags. Mr. Kilpatrick was arrested and sent to jail.
Hobart Grocery and Florist Store, Charles Hobart, Prop. (1880-1887)
1. Hobart Brothers, Charles and Jed, have bought the heating furnace of Osborn Esgate's greenhouse and are building a nice greenhouse of their own on their premises in the rear of their residences on West Street (Elmwood Street) in 1887.
Hobart and Sons Grocery and Florist Store, Charles and Jeb Hobart, Props. (1887-1906)
Foote and Gable Grocery Store, Fayette Foote and William Gable, Props. (1907-1909)
Foote and Richard Grocery Store, Fayette Foote and Charles Richard, Props. (1909-1910)
1. Charles Richard bought the half-interest of William Gable in the Foote and Gable Grocery Store in 1909.
Foote and Yoder Grocery Store, Fayette Foote and Peter N. Yoder, Props. (1911-1914)
1. Peter N. Yoder bought the half-interest of Charles Richard in Foote and Richard Store in 1911.
Foote and Hartman Grocery, Fayette Foote and Ellsworth P. Hartman Props. (1915-1916)
1. P. N. Yoder sold his interest in the Foote and Yoder Store to E. P. Hartman in 1915.
2. The Foote and Hartman partnership was dissolved in 1916.
Foote and Gunsolus Grocery, F. D. Foote and Andrew Gunsolus, Props. (1917-1917)
1. F. D. Foote retired in 1917 and Hobart Edwards bought his interest and the store will now be the Edwards Grocery Store.
Edwards Grocery Store, Hobart Edwards, Prop. (1917-1919)
1. Hobart Edwards moved his grocery business from the Barnard Block in 1917.
Hartman’s Grocery Store, Ellsworth. P. Hartman and son, Stanley Hartman, Props. (#8, NS) (1919-1945)
1. Ellsworth P. Hartman re-entered the grocery business by acquiring the Edwards Grocery Store in 1919.
2. Byron Hobart sold the building to E. P. Hartman in 1919.
3. Ellsworth P. Hartman sold the building to his son, Stanley in 1949.
Fisher Grocery Store, Wanda and Lloyd E. Fisher, Props. (#8, NS) (1945-1949)
1. Stanley Hartman sold the grocery business to Lloyd Fisher and bought the Cannon Store Block at #221 South Court Street from the Sipher Estate in 1945.
2. A store owner such as Lloyd Fisher would know his customer's names, and they would in turn have the same gratitude.
Miller-Jones Company Shoes, Bob Collins, Prop. (#10, South Side) (1931-1948)
Miller-Jones Company Shoes, R. R. Ruble, Prop. (#10, South Side) (1948-1959)
Rogers Food Market, Harold E. Rogers, Prop. (#8, North Side) (1949-1960)
Canfield’s Food Center, Wayne Canfield, Prop (#8-10 Total Store) (1960-1969)
1. One such supermarket reaching Medina in 1965 and expanding further in 1968 was Buehler's food market. In 1969, it comes as no surprise that Canfield's store would close, and soon after other grocers would too.
Albert’s Limited Clothing , Martin Dirk, Prop, (#8-10 Total Store) (1969-1974)
1. By appealing to the Medina culture of a clean-cut traditional family, Martin Dirk, having ownership of the building would last the longest during this time frame and eventually change his store to Martin's.
Martin’s Store for Men, Martin Dirk, Prop. (#8-10 Total Store) (1974-1982)
1. After Martin's closed no businesses succeeded or sustained for roughly a decade. For 30 years both bottom addresses (8 and 10) had contained one store, yet for the next 26 years (1983 to the 2008), no shop owner expanded or could afforded to rent both sides of the building.
Republican Headquarters, (#10, South Side) (1982-1983)
Dunscore Gallery/Play It Again Sam, (#8, North Side) (1982-1984)
Ranch House Western Wear, (#10, South Side) (1983-1993)
Vacant, (#8, North Side) (1985-1986)
Country Junction, (#10, South Side) (1991-1993)
Village Framers, (#8, North Side) (1986-2008)
Ormandy’s Trains and Toys, John Ormandy, Prop. (#10, South Side) (1993-2008)
1. Ormandy’s on Public Square carries a huge number of toy trains in every size and make.
Ormandy’s Trains and Toys, John Ormandy, Prop. (#8-10 Total Store) (2008-2018)
1. John Ormandy and one of his colleagues were able to expand the shop and convert the upstairs apartment into the present Toy and Train Museum in 2008.
2. Ormandy’s Trains and Toys attract regular customers as well as children for over 23 years in this location.
This Store was occupied by Grocery Stores for a consecutive 90 years.
#11 West-side Public Square: Blanot House,-1857
Blanot Boot and Shoe Manufacturers, James Blanot, Prop. (1857-1870)
Blanot’s frame house where business was located was totally destroyed by the village fire in 1870.
Blanot Boot and Shoe Manufacturers, James Blanot, Prop. (1872-1879)
1. A two story brick building was built in 1872 and reoccupied by the Blanot Boot and Shoe business.
2. In 1872, J. W. Blanot, boots and shoes sales for the past year was $1,000.
Andrews Jewelry Store, Meroa Andrews, Prop. (1880-1899)
1. Andrews Jewelry establishment went into Studley then Lillibridge rooms. Besides carrying on her business, she stored the books and acted as librarian at a salary of $20.00 a year.
Lowe Wall Paper and Paint Store, Edmund D. Lowe, Prop. (1899-1901)
1. Gray and Hastings bought the retail stock of Edmund D. Lowe in 1901.
2. The 1910 census has Edmund Lowe painter and decorator for residences in Medina village. It no longer calls him a merchant, so he likely works from his home. Edmund D. Lowe decorator, hardwood finisher, papering and painter,1874-1919, died in 1926.
Levet Kandy Kitchen and Bakery, J. E. Levet, Prop. (1901-1902)
1. J. E. Levet Kandy Kitchen bakery, cigars, and laundry moved to Shaw block vacated by E. D. Lowe wallpaper store in 1901.
Gray and Hastings Wall Paper and Paint Store, J. S. Gray and Terry S. Hastings, (son-in-law) Props. (1902-1906)
1. J. G. Gray and Terry S. Hastings who have occupied the Munson’s old stand on the west side for one year bought the block occupied by J. E. Levet and the U.S. Express Company a few doors north and will remodel and will build an addition in 1902.
2. Thomas Shaw sold lot 2 to J. G. Gray and T. S. Hastings for $3,200 in 1902.
Gray Wall Paper and Paint Store, J. G. Gray, Prop, (1906-1914)
1. T. S. Hastings sold to J. G. Gray village lot 2 in 1906. Hastings sold out to Gray after 5 years in business in 1906.
Medina Village record snowfall on November 9, 1913
Abrams Men’s Clothing and Shoe Store, Louie Abraham, Prop. (1915-1937)
1. Louie Abraham moved his clothing store from #201 South Court Street in 1915.
Tony’s Candy Kitchen, Anton Horvath, Prop. (1938-1978)
1. Anton Horvath bought the Abrams store on the west side of square in 1938 and remodeled it for Medina Candy Kitchen with a new modernistic front. In 1937 the name changed to Tony’s and candy is now made by machines. All the Anton Horvath family were active in Tony’s Candy Kitchen for over fifty years.
2. One who remembers the old American House Hotel in its palm days is Tony Horvath, proprietor of Tony's Candy Kitchen on Public Square. Tony opened his first store in the hotel in 1922 to 1924.
Happy Days Fountain and Sweet Shop, (1978-1985)
1. Happy Days assumed the candy and fountain business of Tony’s Candy Kitchen in 1978 after serving customers for 40 years at #11 Public Square.
Ranch House Western Wear, (1990-1994)
Geiger’s Pendelton Shoppe, (1998-2004)
Diamond Insurance Agency, Rick Corp, (2006-2014)
Chill Ice Cream, Jeremy Jawarski, Prop. (2015-2018)
1. Welcome to Chill Artisan Ice Cream Company! We are three Northeast Ohio brothers that have a passion for gourmet ice cream. Opening in early 2015 in the Historic Square of Medina, our goal is to take Ohio by storm, one legendary flavor at a time. We have set the bar high to offer only the finest ice cream to satisfy the palates of adults as well as children alike. We use local fresh ingredients from many fantastic farms in Ohio to achieve the highest quality fruits, nuts, cheese and dairy for our ice cream.
#11.5 West-side Public Square: Blanot House,-1857
Humphreyville and Curtiss, Attorneys, (1866-1870)
G. W. Lewis, Attorney, (1876-1870)
Harter and Dillman Real Estate, I. N. Harter and P. H. Dillman, Props. (1902-1905)
Proprietors or Occupants Unknown, (1905-1946)
J. A. Rumph, (1947-1948)
Everett O. England, (1956-1979)
James Navratil Real Estate Company, (1982-1985)
Medina Court Reporters, (1982-1985)
K. Melech, (1985-1988)
Beverly Snanigan, (1989-1993)
E. M. Patton, (1994-1996)
Cherry Blossom Studio, (1997-1999)
Jeffrey A. Huth Company, LPA, (2001-2003)